Amp with Good Reverb, Distortion, and Delay?

Dammit, I'd already joined the Amp Resistant Front, now you're telling me there's a Front of Amp Resistance? Next you'll be telling me there's a Popular Amp Front...

That, and don’t forget the Front-Of-Amp Liberation, Libation, Elation, Assignation, Regurgitation, And Stop At Your Station Front, of which I am the Mighty Kahuna!

(And lowly janitor). :D

That, and don’t forget the Front-Of-Amp Liberation, Libation, Elation, Assignation, Regurgitation, And Stop At Your Station Front, of which I am the Mighty Kahuna!

(And lowly janitor). :D
Hang on a sec, are you making that last one up? Ooo, he's making it up, he's not the Mighty Kahuna he's a very naughty boy!

Dammit, I'd already joined the Amp Resistant Front, now you're telling me there's a Front of Amp Resistance? Next you'll be telling me there's a Popular Amp Front...
I know, it's tough out there today, right? I was using loops before I knew they would condemn me to eternal damnation. And now, I just can't help myself! I tried to trade for an MDT or HX/DA with the though that, "if I don't have one, I can't use one!" But, nobody will help me down that path. "I'm Ray, and I just can't quit smoking without Chantix."

There’s an old-school of thought that teaches putting effects in front of the amp; that they sound more organic and integral to the signal that way.

I happen to be the principal of that school, as well as the custodial staff, and captain of the football team. ;)

Lots and lots and lots of records that have been all-time benchmarks of guitar tone were made with effects plugged into the front of the amp, as the Universe and their creators intended.

Not surprisingly, these days people complain that they can’t get those wonderful tones. Well, no wonder! Look what they’re up to: They’re playing in a world full of effects loops, digital re-creations of gear, cascading gain stages, and the other effluvia and detritus of the Toneless 21st Century.

Is it any wonder that pop music has gone all-synthesizer again? I think not. People don’t want to hear today’s craptastic guitar sounds. I won’t even call them tones. Just sounds.

GUZZ GUZZ GUZZ DJENT DJENT GUZZ GUZZ GUZZ DJENT GUZZ GUZZ

You’ve established your good taste in preferring real tube amps, and I congratulate you on your perspicacity and ears. Now go all the way. I’m pullin’ out a Guy Fawkes mask here. Join the Front of Amp Resistance! (And No Hashtag!!)

I'm curious if you use modulation or delay in front of the amp when using a little gain. I've found it challenging to dial in a good delay sound in front of a dirty amp. Clean is not a problem at all. Maybe I need to buy an actual tape delay.

I'm curious if you use modulation or delay in front of the amp when using a little gain. I've found it challenging to dial in a good delay sound in front of a dirty amp. Clean is not a problem at all. Maybe I need to buy an actual tape delay.
Without knowing what type delay you have now, what you probably want is something with darker repeats. Tape, analog, etc. This is another reason I like the TC Flashback. You can try various types of delay to see what works best. And, you may find you like the pristine delays on some cleaner tones but darker delays on gain tones... and then you still have them in one box.

I use every effect in front of the amp, including modulation and delay, even when using more gain. This even includes chorus, which I use a lot in front of a gained amp (sacrelige, but think Robin Trower, who uses Univibe in front of dirt pedals and a gainy Marshall; a Univibe is basically a chorus-type effect).

I love my tape delay. But I like my digital Eventide delays and reverbs in front of amps, too.

I’ve posted this probably too much, but the track below starts with my HXDA kinda clean, and then I turn the guitar volume up for a bit of gain.

The pedals were all in front of the amp (I wrote it to test my pedalboard), and they were a Pettyjohn Lift to add a bit of color, a Pettyjohn Pettydrive 2 set clean and set just to take off a little low end (it has a good low cut filter that can be switched on), Pettyjohn Filter EQ just because I felt like seeing how it’d sound, Suhr Alexa chorus, one H9 set to a ducked digital delay, and the second H9 set up as a plate reverb.

If I have a “sound,” this is probably pretty close to it. I’m not saying there’s really a “best” way of doing things, but this works for me. YMMV:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-4

Last edited:
Back