All about bicycles

Sundays ride was another knee test. More to beat them into submission and get some enjoyment out of the new tires. Jury on the new valve core is still out.
Rain for the next 10 days or so (we need it) so this fair weather rider will have to look for short openings...

Me and trains seem to be on a similar rhythm...

Workin' hard...

Toys...

Low rent shacks on the wrong side of town...

These guys are trying hard to hang on...

I put in 101 miles over the weekend. 38 of challenging mostly hilly and sandy dirt roads Saturday, followed by 63 on that long paved trail I mentioned before.

It was the peak of my training for the gravel century in a couple weeks. The Saturday ride thrashed my legs, so Sunday was a good way of showing myself that I can still do a lot on tired legs.

For both rides I sought out as much elevation gain as I could to get ready for the rolling hills of Georgia.

Sunday was out of a town called Frostproof, which is a place I find stunningly beautiful and unique for Florida. Miles and miles of citrus groves across rolling hills interspersed with lakes. There's a very good chance you've had orange juice that started here.

Strava put my highest elevation at 313 feet, which is only 32 feet short of the state's highest point! :D

tBnAXHq.jpeg

cigCcRd.jpeg

ihX3lSi.jpeg

I put in 101 miles over the weekend. 38 of challenging mostly hilly and sandy dirt roads Saturday, followed by 63 on that long paved trail I mentioned before.

It was the peak of my training for the gravel century in a couple weeks. The Saturday ride thrashed my legs, so Sunday was a good way of showing myself that I can still do a lot on tired legs.

For both rides I sought out as much elevation gain as I could to get ready for the rolling hills of Georgia.

Sunday was out of a town called Frostproof, which is a place I find stunningly beautiful and unique for Florida. Miles and miles of citrus groves across rolling hills interspersed with lakes. There's a very good chance you've had orange juice that started here.

Strava put my highest elevation at 313 feet, which is only 32 feet short of the state's highest point! :D

tBnAXHq.jpeg

cigCcRd.jpeg

ihX3lSi.jpeg
Beautiful, and nicely done mate!

tBnAXHq.jpeg

cigCcRd.jpeg

ihX3lSi.jpeg

Cool result! I've occasionally been riding for the last 2 years and have yet to hit 32 miles daily.

Even though I tested pos for Covid the other day I felt compelled to at least try to get out on a rare sunny day today. At 7C I guess I'll call it "brisk". Needed my heated gloves which of course I forgot to charge up, and the right one quit halfway through. That's OK, they're still good and thick... like my head...

Anyway, there was a storm with high winds last night, and it's been raining quite a bit so I just stuck to some roads and tooled around.

This was an example of what was seen everywhere. Branches dried from a long summer with no rain, snapped off and strewn about...

The worst I saw was this good sized tree across this road. It took out a lamppost...

Leftovers from another time...

Can you name any of these people?

Last edited:
Even though I tested pos for Covid the other day I felt compelled to at least try to get out on a rare sunny day today. At 7C I guess I'll call it "brisk". Needed my heated gloves which of course I forgot to charge up, and the right one quit halfway through. That's OK, they're still good and thick... like my head...

Anyway, there was a storm with high winds last night, and it's been raining quite a bit so I just stuck to some roads and tooled around.

This was an example of what was seen everywhere. Branches dried from a long summer with no rain, snapped off and strewn about...

The worst I saw was this good sized tree across this road. It took out a lamppost...

Get better!

One or two...left to right: Maurice "Rocket" Richard (who was intimidating as hell even when he was an old man), Terry Fox, Elvis, Dalai Lama, not sure, Louis Armstrong, not sure, Charles Lindberg (but that's a guess), Marilyn Monroe, Neil Armstrong, top - not sure, bottom - Bruce Springsteen (in his Village People tribute band), Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Albert Einstein, Diana, JFK, and one of the guys from Dethklok.

One or two...left to right: Maurice "Rocket" Richard (who was intimidating as hell even when he was an old man), Terry Fox, Elvis, Dalai Lama, not sure, Louis Armstrong, not sure, Charles Lindberg (but that's a guess), Marilyn Monroe, Neil Armstrong, top - not sure, bottom - Bruce Springsteen (in his Village People tribute band), Mother Teresa, Mahatma Ghandi, Albert Einstein, Diana, JFK, and one of the guys from Dethklok.
I'm guessing the guy next to Armstrong is Bill Gates, and the last guy as Chief Dan George.

Get better, buddy! Glad to see you're not totally down and out. Hopefully that bit of fresh air did you some good.

Get better, buddy! Glad to see you're not totally down and out. Hopefully that bit of fresh air did you some good.
Cheers!
It was good to get out from being couped up. And the air was most certainly "fresh" I must say! Could have used another layer.
Was entertaining to see a few people walking around in shorts while I was bundled up. Silly Canucks!

I successfully completed my first century (and first race) on Saturday! It was a pretty epic day out and encapsulated everything about gravel cycling.

105 miles of sand, dirt, gravel, clay, and some actually really great pavement out of Waynesboro, Georgia. It's about a 40 minute drive south of Augusta, where The Masters Tournament is held, for frame of reference. I loved the format: 40 or so miles of racing split into three segments. It gave a nice challenge (as if 100+ mostly off-road miles isn't a challenge), while still allowing fun and social aspects. The course had a diabolical touch between sand early and then a few 7-9% gradient hills at 90+ miles.

It was foggy and about 60F when we headed out and raced over some sketchy loose sand and dirt roads. Afterwards the fog turned to mist, which then changed into a light rain that turned everything into a tire-grabbing beach sand/mud/clay combo for a while. The sun finally came out and brought the temps to the upper 70's for the last third of the ride which had some picture-perfect racing on hilly, hard-packed red clay roads.

My training over the last 12 weeks paid off. I held up great until the last couple miles on the cruise back into town when I finally started feeling rough, which was fine since the hard work was done!

Didn't grab many pics between the weather and the racing, but the big highlight was cruising through a cotton farm. The clouds were still around, but it was still a stunning sight. One of those things pictures don't come close to capturing.

DIyI146.jpg

8yPHynJ.jpg

Pics also never capture just how dirty a bike can get, but here's my bike at mile 72. You can see the coating of dried clay on the rear wheel and maybe with some zoom you can see the coating on the seat tube down to the bottom bracket. It was everywhere! I was slowly dying inside listening to the gears and brakes rubbing.

We don't need no stinking kickstands...

snJUDiv.jpg

I'm a data nerd, so here are the numbers. I love all the info you can get from an electronic drivetrain. I shifted 988 times!

g0OzDIpl.png

mI6obKhl.png

Last edited:
I successfully completed my first century (and first race) on Saturday! It was a pretty epic day out and encapsulated everything about gravel cycling.

105 miles of sand, dirt, gravel, clay, and some actually really great pavement out of Waynesboro, Georgia. It's about a 40 minute drive south of Augusta, where The Masters Tournament is held, for frame of reference. I loved the format: 40 or so miles of racing split into three segments. It gave a nice challenge (as if 100+ mostly off-road miles isn't a challenge), while still allowing fun and social aspects. The course had a diabolical touch between sand early and then a few 7-9% gradient hills at 90+ miles.

It was foggy and about 60F when we headed out and raced over some sketchy loose sand and dirt roads. Afterwards the fog turned to mist, which then changed into a light rain that turned everything into a tire-grabbing beach sand/mud/clay combo for a while. The sun finally came out and brought the temps to the upper 70's for the last third of the ride which had some picture-perfect racing on hilly, hard-packed red clay roads.

My training over the last 12 weeks paid off. I held up great until the last couple miles on the cruise back into town when I finally started feeling rough, which was fine since the hard work was done!

Didn't grab many pics between the weather and the racing, but the big highlight was cruising through a cotton farm. The clouds were still around, but it was still a stunning sight. One of those things pictures don't come close to capturing.

DIyI146.jpg

8yPHynJ.jpg

Pics also never capture just how dirty a bike can get, but here's my bike at mile 72. You can see the coating of dried clay on the rear wheel and maybe with some zoom you can see the coating on the seat tube down to the bottom bracket. It was everywhere! I was slowly dying inside listening to the gears and brakes rubbing.

snJUDiv.jpg

I'm a data nerd, so here are the numbers. I love all the info you can get from an electronic drivetrain. I shifted 988 times!

g0OzDIpl.png

mI6obKhl.png
Congrats!

DIyI146.jpg

8yPHynJ.jpg

snJUDiv.jpg

g0OzDIpl.png

mI6obKhl.png
Wow! Impressive as heck!
Those clay roads look like they could be dicey too. What a great ride!

Back