All about bicycles

I don’t blame you if you don’t. I wouldn’t want to clean your bike after that.

It's not so much the puddles, but the dirt that sticks to everything once the bike gets wet. In summer I'm lucky to get two rides in without having to at least clean the drivetrain.

Here's a screen grab from Saturday's festivities. That's me on the left. This is one of three flooded weirs on the route. The area off to the left was completely dry when I was last there at the end of June.

SBk0t7W.png

Pics never capture just how dirty my bike gets, but this is after. When I checked yesterday, I could hear the sand grinding with every move of the cranks.

pdvvRjN.jpg

Sunday ride...

Totally lazy battery sucking North Surrey tour...

Under a train bridge...

Dive bar in a trailer park...

Fraser river underneath the Patullo bridge and the Skytrain bridge...

Amazing weather at 24/25C in October, and that is decidedly not normal! One wonders what winter will bring to Vancouver...

Nice rides, as always, Dave!

No gravel for me this weekend. Hurricane Ian did a number on all the preserves I like to ride. That meant another of those lovely 2.5 hour sessions on the trainer Saturday. Wasn't near as bad as the last one, I think largely because a cold front came in and the morning temps were upper 60's/low 70's F.

Sunday I drove north to ride the road bike on one of the multi-use paths, the Suncoast Trail. It runs parallel to a tollway for something like 56 miles. The southern end is pretty boring. Pan flat and several major road crossings. I did a 3-hour endurance ride on the northern end, which is full of rolling hills and is much less populated. Weather was perfect and the ride was so much fun. It should be a good bit of prep for my century coming up next month, which is an undulating course.

My bike was glowing in the wonderful weather...

j5gF1TI.jpg

Wow... jelly of the 56 mile MUP! Nothing like that near me.
Lots of fun!

Yes and no to the fun. It's very straight and not very quiet or scenic due to its proximity to the tollway. The southern end is particularly suited to the time trialists and triathletes who want to tuck into an aero position and suffer for speed. If you have a headwind, it gets tedious quick. Though it does give you access to a lot of different areas if you're willing to ride the streets.

The most northern part is desolate. For now at least. This section of the road and trail is new and I think its purpose will be to connect the sprawl that's creeping ever north of Tampa. There are absolutely no resources up that way and you're completely exposed. Definitely not a place for summer riding.

I may do a 60-ish mile up that way in a few weeks, though. It's the most elevation gain I can get out of a safe ride that's a somewhat reasonable drive away. I may put the rear rack on my road bike so I can carry extra water.

Another lovely day for a ride. I cannot remember the last time it rained! First half all trail/gravel, second half all road...

Found some mushrooms that I had not identified before. These are Shaggy Mane mushrooms and are apparently absolutely delicious. I chickened out and left them though.
Next time I'll pick a couple, supposedly they spoil quickly...

Down to Colebrook road...

Convenient bike stand...

This squirrel tried to bend a note but ended up way flat...

Some footie/soccer...

Rejoining this conversation, and picking up the story again. I'd posted earlier (in 2021) about my 9-month wait for a Specialized Roubaix Sport, a wonderful bike.

In late August I noticed a crack in the rear seatstay, cause unknown. I hadn't crashed it or abused it. I returned it to my LBS, who filed the warranty claim. I'll skip the ensuing drama - Spec did not distinguish themselves by their initial response, and my LBS went to my hall of fame for their persistence - and in September 2022 I got an S-Works frame from Spec. My LBS grafted my old bike's parts onto the new frame.

I'd say I came out ahead, but I don't care to fight that fight again. Call it a draw, then. I'm riding again.

6QzGmW0.jpg

0U0fdJY.jpg

=K

Rejoining this conversation, and picking up the story again. I'd posted earlier (in 2021) about my 9-month wait for a Specialized Roubaix Sport, a wonderful bike.

In late August I noticed a crack in the rear seatstay, cause unknown. I hadn't crashed it or abused it. I returned it to my LBS, who filed the warranty claim. I'll skip the ensuing drama - Spec did not distinguish themselves by their initial response, and my LBS went to my hall of fame for their persistence - and in September 2022 I got an S-Works frame from Spec. My LBS grafted my old bike's parts onto the new frame.

I'd say I came out ahead, but I don't care to fight that fight again. Call it a draw, then. I'm riding again.

6QzGmW0.jpg

0U0fdJY.jpg

=K
Looks like a killer bike.
I have an S Works Tarmac.

6QzGmW0.jpg

0U0fdJY.jpg

=K
Persistence pays off! Nicely done and congrats on the new ride.

So my new rear tire seems to lose pressure way too fast (tubeless) and way faster than the front. I was thinking after a couple of weeks that the sealant might find the issue and seal it.
Nope.
It was suggested that perhaps the Presta valve core might be the culprit, so I went to the LBS for a new one.
Old on the left, new on the right...

Pumped back up to 30psi and ready to go.
For the last 10 days or so my knees have been completely toast. So bad that stairs and even putting on socks has been horribly painful, not to mention the lack of sleep.
Anyway I've had enough of that carp and even though I'm not fully functional yet I set off for a test ride.
It hurt... but at about 4-5 kms in I felt like things were starting to get loosened and lubed up. 10k in I felt even better even though my strength was not up to par.

New park I found...

This is the east end of Delta Watershed Park. Didn't want to wander in there today...

Amazing difference in temperature between last week (20C) and now (10C). I haven't needed more than a t-shirt for months. Today was a long sleeve shirt and sweater. Also dropped my fingerless gloves in favour the 100% Briskers and packed a windbreaker in the pannier.
I stopped halfway and donned the windbreaker. The 100% Briskers were barely enough as my fingertips were cold.
Glad I finally got out. Will try again tomorrow.

So my new rear tire seems to lose pressure way too fast (tubeless) and way faster than the front. I was thinking after a couple of weeks that the sealant might find the issue and seal it.
Nope.
It was suggested that perhaps the Presta valve core might be the culprit, so I went to the LBS for a new one.
Old on the left, new on the right...

Pumped back up to 30psi and ready to go.
For the last 10 days or so my knees have been completely toast. So bad that stairs and even putting on socks has been horribly painful, not to mention the lack of sleep.
Anyway I've had enough of that carp and even though I'm not fully functional yet I set off for a test ride.
It hurt... but at about 4-5 kms in I felt like things were starting to get loosened and lubed up. 10k in I felt even better even though my strength was not up to par.

New park I found...

This is the east end of Delta Watershed Park. Didn't want to wander in there today...

Amazing difference in temperature between last week (20C) and now (10C). I haven't needed more than a t-shirt for months. Today was a long sleeve shirt and sweater. Also dropped my fingerless gloves in favour the 100% Briskers and packed a windbreaker in the pannier.
I stopped halfway and donned the windbreaker. The 100% Briskers were barely enough as my fingertips were cold.
Glad I finally got out. Will try again tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Great pics as always.

Weather has done the same thing here. Although yesterday was 14c and it felt like a fricken heat wave.

Back