All about bicycles

30km today and 20 yesterday.

Don't these puddles EVER go away?!!??? The bigger one was 1km later...

Water stop...

Stop at John Oliver Park for more water...

This trail through Watershed Park connects Hwy 10 and 64th Ave. There is a network of numerous trails for hiking/biking in there. I need to explore them more...

All the talk in here about e-bikes has me talking to my wife about getting her one in the next few years. My hope is that when we hit retirement we'll ride more - especially if I can get a bike rack I don't have to take off the vehicle all the time. It'll be good for her given her bad knees.

Last week, I saw an article in the Washington Post about pushback against e-bikes and their riders, which I assumed would be about purists complaining about people riding them on trails and such. Nope - it's about people buying the higher-powered e-bikes and riding like douchebags. A lot of the usual cyclist complaints - blowing through stop signs, riding on sidewalks, etc. But now with motors that make them essentially like scooters.

I almost melted on today’s ride. I took 2 bottles for 90 minutes of cadence bursts and still needed 4 more drinks when I finished (not counting the shot of Jameson’s).

26C here today, what about you?

I’m debating today’s ride. Likely to be 3+ hours in 90 degree temps with high humidity. My head says just go to the gym. My body says just sit on the couch. My ego says, “Just ride your bike you lazy wimpy bastard!”

I ride as early as I can get myself up and out. It's usually pushing 85F/29C by late morning when I wrap up a ride in summer. Being Florida, you can count on high humidity. My ride Friday started at 80% and finished at 70%.

On my ride Saturday, I finished at about 11:30 and met quite a few people who were just setting out. I was thinking these people are nuts, it's 90 degrees now!

I keep a keen focus on hydration starting the day before a ride, following all the way through the end of the day of the ride.

All the talk in here about e-bikes has me talking to my wife about getting her one in the next few years. My hope is that when we hit retirement we'll ride more - especially if I can get a bike rack I don't have to take off the vehicle all the time. It'll be good for her given her bad knees.

Last week, I saw an article in the Washington Post about pushback against e-bikes and their riders, which I assumed would be about purists complaining about people riding them on trails and such. Nope - it's about people buying the higher-powered e-bikes and riding like douchebags. A lot of the usual cyclist complaints - blowing through stop signs, riding on sidewalks, etc. But now with motors that make them essentially like scooters.
Yup, high powered ebikes with a throttle are easy to "abuse". Some do, and they ruin it for everyone (as usual).
Most mid drive bikes (like mine) have no throttle, so unless you pedal you get nothing.
Hub drive (rear) typically have a throttle, but most are limited to either 20mph (32kmh) or 28mph (45kmh), as are mid drives.
I am completely fine with the assistance level limiting out at 32kmh. That's fast enough for me.

I’m debating today’s ride. Likely to be 3+ hours in 90 degree temps with high humidity. My head says just go to the gym. My body says just sit on the couch. My ego says, “Just ride your bike you lazy wimpy bastard!”
Glad I got my lazy/wimpy arse out. Four of us kept the pace reasonable for 44 miles with a ride time of 2h41m plus a 10 minute stop to buy water. I miss the old days when it was acceptable to just go into someone’s yard and and refill from the garden hose.

We camped a couple weeks ago and there were 4 adults who rode around the campgrounds every night on ebikes. I never once saw them stop at a stop sign. But the other thing I noticed is that for adults that I sold multiple times and I never saw one of them pedal once. They were riding them around like motorcycles.

We camped a couple weeks ago and there were 4 adults who rode around the campgrounds every night on ebikes. I never once saw them stop at a stop sign. But the other thing I noticed is that for adults that I sold multiple times and I never saw one of them pedal once. They were riding them around like motorcycles.
This is why I crossed hub drive off my list early on. I went into it wanting exercise, and a throttle ain't it. I know you can just not use it, but...

This is why I crossed hub drive off my list early on. I went into it wanting exercise, and a throttle ain't it. I know you can just not use it, but...
We don’t have them yet, but 100% agree. I love riding but also love the exercise. these people were turning the handle to accelerate like they were riding motorcycles. Never saw any of the 4 pedal. I guess that might be OK for people who “can’t” but I want to ride a bike, not a bike-like motorcycle.

We don’t have them yet, but 100% agree. I love riding but also love the exercise. these people were turning the handle to accelerate like they were riding motorcycles. Never saw any of the 4 pedal. I guess that might be OK for people who “can’t” but I want to ride a bike, not a bike-like motorcycle.
Yup.
And don't get me wrong. A throttle can have its uses.
1) You effed up and stopped at a hill or intersection and you are in the wrong gear. The throttle can get you going quickly so you can resume the proper cadence for whatever gear you are in.
2) You are in a particular physical condition that precludes you from getting home without that level of assistance.
3) You busted your chain, have no tools and need to get home.

So far I have been able to avoid 1 and 2.
If 3 happens I am always packing tools and a spare link.

I haven't posted in awhile, just been busy.

First, @dmatthews, love the regular pics of your rides, looks like a great place to get out on a bike.

I'm racing the SBT Gravel Red course Sunday. Originally planned to drive up with our bikes/dogs/camping gear as usual. But, my company is moving us back to Colorado 9/1, so we decided that a 2 week vacation in CO 2 weeks before we move there no longer made since. So, flying up for the race and a few meetings for work. First time I have flown a bike. Looking forward to not riding in the south TX heat, we have been over 100F since mid-May. I have to get my rides in before the sun comes up, or at least most of it on the weekend, and I'm still a soaked sweaty mess by 7am. Did a short mountain bike ride when I was in CO last week (our mountain bikes live at my friends house there). Started at 10am and was dry at the end.

So I have to pack this:

WHVc7bK.jpg

Into this:

is0x4e0.jpg

I rented the Oura case medium, rented since I doubt I will need it since the only place we take bikes is CO. BTW, if you haven't watched any of the "worst Retirement Ever" channel on youtube, you should check it out. Phil is an ex world tour pro and is funny and fast. That's where I found this case, 11lbs total for the case. But, you have to drop the forks and derailed to make it fit. I'm a little nervous about it.

Hoping to run into Valtteri Bottas on the course, big F1 fan too. He finished on the podium for the red race last year too. I just want to finish in 4 hours. :p

Please excuse the gratuitous rig shot, but this is the PRS Forum! My Santana and the rest is already packed up, the house goes on the market tomorrow.

I haven't posted in awhile, just been busy.

First, @dmatthews, love the regular pics of your rides, looks like a great place to get out on a bike.

I'm racing the SBT Gravel Red course Sunday. Originally planned to drive up with our bikes/dogs/camping gear as usual. But, my company is moving us back to Colorado 9/1, so we decided that a 2 week vacation in CO 2 weeks before we move there no longer made since. So, flying up for the race and a few meetings for work. First time I have flown a bike. Looking forward to not riding in the south TX heat, we have been over 100F since mid-May. I have to get my rides in before the sun comes up, or at least most of it on the weekend, and I'm still a soaked sweaty mess by 7am. Did a short mountain bike ride when I was in CO last week (our mountain bikes live at my friends house there). Started at 10am and was dry at the end.

So I have to pack this:

WHVc7bK.jpg

Into this:

is0x4e0.jpg

I rented the Oura case medium, rented since I doubt I will need it since the only place we take bikes is CO. BTW, if you haven't watched any of the "worst Retirement Ever" channel on youtube, you should check it out. Phil is an ex world tour pro and is funny and fast. That's where I found this case, 11lbs total for the case. But, you have to drop the forks and derailed to make it fit. I'm a little nervous about it.

Hoping to run into Valtteri Bottas on the course, big F1 fan too. He finished on the podium for the red race last year too. I just want to finish in 4 hours. :p

Please excuse the gratuitous rig shot, but this is the PRS Forum! My Santana and the rest is already packed up, the house goes on the market tomorrow.
Cheers mate, and it looks like you're ready for a ton of fun!

Back