All about bicycles

Cheers mate, and it looks like you're ready for a ton of fun!
Thanks man.

I used to have a negative attitude about e-bikes, until I met a few people that had them. I thought they were basically electric motorcycles and didn't realize that most e-bikes just provided assist. I have recommended them to a few friends for their spouses so they could ride with us. Still freaks me out when someone 20+ years older than me (and I'm 53) fly by me going up some steep (18+%) Texas hill country climbs though. We don't have snow here, so no switchbacks, just straight up the hill.

Now that we are moving back to a place that has great weather, and most of the regular errands plus going to our friends houses, is with in a few miles, we are looking at buying a couple e-bikes to keep from driving our cars on short trips. We like to eat fresh food, so most of our grocery store trips would easily fit in panniers or a rack bag.

More people on bikes makes the world a better place than more people in cars! Still love fast cars for fun though. And still love racing unpowered bikes up hills too. :)

Thanks man.

I used to have a negative attitude about e-bikes, until I met a few people that had them.

More people on bikes makes the world a better place than more people in cars! Still love fast cars for fun though. And still love racing unpowered bikes up hills too. :)
Yup. Too bad we don't enjoy the same infrastructure that people do in Europe!

I have a couple fun things on two wheels planned to keep me motivated:

I registered for a 100-mile gravel race/event in November. Will be my first century ride and my first timed event as well. Yikes! I start training for it on Monday.

I also signed up for my first bikepacking trip in January. It's a one-night trip with a group, so should make a nice intro to that world. I've already begun using my spare time to research bikepacking bags and all the lightweight stuff that goes along with it. Yet another gear rabbit hole to go down!

I have a couple fun things on two wheels planned to keep me motivated:

I registered for a 100-mile gravel race/event in November. Will be my first century ride and my first timed event as well. Yikes! I start training for it on Monday.

I also signed up for my first bikepacking trip in January. It's a one-night trip with a group, so should make a nice intro to that world. I've already begun using my spare time to research bikepacking bags and all the lightweight stuff that goes along with it. Yet another gear rabbit hole to go down!
The imperial century! Man... that's a biggie. Do you train on the same route or somewhere else?
Do you have a destination for the bikepacking trip yet?

How about some extreme cycling.
Next weekend, I’ll be shuffling 200+ bikes for an adventure race. 150km or so with a combination of tromping through the woods, paddling canoes and riding mountain bikes. It’s kind of a choose your own adventure in that you are just told where to go next, and you have to figure out how to get there. This year’s race has two mountain bike segments.
I’m the boss of gear logistics, meaning getting everyone’s stuff to the next transition point.

Next weekend, I’ll be shuffling 200+ bikes for an adventure race. 150km or so with a combination of tromping through the woods, paddling canoes and riding mountain bikes. It’s kind of a choose your own adventure in that you are just told where to go next, and you have to figure out how to get there. This year’s race has two mountain bike segments.
I’m the boss of gear logistics, meaning getting everyone’s stuff to the next transition point.
OMG... welp... that let's me out :eek:

garrett, that sounds fantastic. Rabbit hole is right. But the trip (both literally and figuratively) will be awesome. For me cycling is like cheating your way through life. A lot of fun with the side benefit of doing great things for your mind/body, meeting new and interesting people and seeing things that cannot be seen in an automobile. Please keep us updated on the training and gear purchases.

There is a very slight chance I could complete the adventure race. There is NO chance I could perform satisfactorily the logistics endeavor upon which you are about to embark. Good on you Pete.

The imperial century! Man... that's a biggie. Do you train on the same route or somewhere else?
Do you have a destination for the bikepacking trip yet?

garrett, that sounds fantastic. Rabbit hole is right. But the trip (both literally and figuratively) will be awesome. For me cycling is like cheating your way through life. A lot of fun with the side benefit of doing great things for your mind/body, meeting new and interesting people and seeing things that cannot be seen in an automobile. Please keep us updated on the training and gear purchases.

For the century training, I'm using Wahoo SYSTM. I'll be doing a 12-week plan specifically designed to prep for a 100-mile gravel event (Pretty cool right?). During the week, it's a mix of shorter HIIT cycling sessions on the smart trainer, yoga, and off-bike strength sessions. The weekends have longer rides I'll do at least partially out in the real world.

The event is the Stuckey's Bird Dog 100, about a 7-hour drive north in Georgia. The events has a unique format. There's a neutral rollout, followed by three timed sections. There are untimed sections between, which is where the aid stations will be. I love the concept because you can race the heck out of it if you want (not me) or you can use the in-between zones to recover, socialize and enjoy the ride (me). Or of course you can just ride your ride and forget about the times.

For bikepacking, there's a group of a dozen of us riding a loop in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida. Last week I car camped one night and rode a 30-mile loop there. It's an impressive bit of wilderness. Miles and miles of dirt forest roads over rolling hills. We're expecting about 140 miles over two days.

Cycling really is great. This bikepacking trip is organized by a gravel group I'm a part of from Facebook. A few of the people I know fairly well from group rides, a few I know a little, and a few I don't know at all. So it'll be a great time building friendships with people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Some of them are experienced bikepackers and there'll be a couple newbs like me. It removes a lot of stress and pressure for me to have that company and experience around.

Gear-wise, I guess my only complaint is that all my fun money is going to cycling stuff and not guitar stuff! I'm pretty darn satisfied with my guitars and rig these days, so I guess that's okay...

For the century training, I'm using Wahoo SYSTM. I'll be doing a 12-week plan specifically designed to prep for a 100-mile gravel event (Pretty cool right?). During the week, it's a mix of shorter HIIT cycling sessions on the smart trainer, yoga, and off-bike strength sessions. The weekends have longer rides I'll do at least partially out in the real world.

The event is the Stuckey's Bird Dog 100, about a 7-hour drive north in Georgia. The events has a unique format. There's a neutral rollout, followed by three timed sections. There are untimed sections between, which is where the aid stations will be. I love the concept because you can race the heck out of it if you want (not me) or you can use the in-between zones to recover, socialize and enjoy the ride (me). Or of course you can just ride your ride and forget about the times.

For bikepacking, there's a group of a dozen of us riding a loop in the Ocala National Forest in central Florida. Last week I car camped one night and rode a 30-mile loop there. It's an impressive bit of wilderness. Miles and miles of dirt forest roads over rolling hills. We're expecting about 140 miles over two days.

Cycling really is great. This bikepacking trip is organized by a gravel group I'm a part of from Facebook. A few of the people I know fairly well from group rides, a few I know a little, and a few I don't know at all. So it'll be a great time building friendships with people I wouldn't have met otherwise. Some of them are experienced bikepackers and there'll be a couple newbs like me. It removes a lot of stress and pressure for me to have that company and experience around.

Gear-wise, I guess my only complaint is that all my fun money is going to cycling stuff and not guitar stuff! I'm pretty darn satisfied with my guitars and rig these days, so I guess that's okay...
Awesome... both of those outings are going to be a crap ton of fun!

50kms today and 22kms yesterday.
No pics from yesterday, but here's some from today. Decided to head over the Alex Fraser bridge and head west in south Richmond...

I can't really put my finger on it, but my Spidey sense makes me think there's a high pressure gas pipeline around here somewhere...

Looking down from the bridge you can see the top of the Tidewater Pub. This is where the start of the greenway to Mud Bay is. It is also the location of an older pub that burned down. That pub was the film location for an infamous scene in a movie where Jodie Foster gets attacked.

A classic...

On the way back I discovered a new path...

Which ended with this dirt road being the only choice other than turning around and going back. You would not want to take this route after a heavy rain...

Water please...

Leave a bike, take a bike?

On the way back I tried the west side of the Alex Fraser bridge. Then down onto River Road where we see the aforementioned Tidewater pub from ground level...

Fun ride done mostly in level 2 assist except for the bridge ascents and a couple of hills. Got back with 58% battery left.

Dave, do you find your using the assist less as your fitness improves? Nice pics as always.
Yes. When I first got an ebike (2019 Fathom), I found myself defaulting to assist level 3 (out of 5).
Most of last year with the Stance was the same but I found myself starting to go farther.
Now, this year I find myself expanding my range, and with some minor adjustments using level 2 on average, and level 1 on flats.
The 2.6 Maxxis Forkaster tires on the Fathom were absolutely not road friendly at all, although the new owner is having a fine time with it/them.
The 2.4 Maxxis Rekon tires on the Stance are much better on the road, but nowhere near what I could put on there. Thinking of Schwalbe Johnny Watts or similar.
That would kick the mileage up a notch.
But to answer your question, I would say I'm improving somewhat based on the bike AND the increased mileage.

The Wahoo is great, but try to get out on the the real bike and train too. My better half tried to do all of her training on the wahoo for the Leadville 100MB last year since we moved to Austin, TX in late 2019 and the heat was killing her. She had her first DNF in 8 Leadville 100s (made it to pipeline just 2 minutes after cut off, 75 miles into the race). Might have been other mid 50 lady problems, but...

I trained 100% outside ( in crazy south TX heat) for the for the SBT Gravel race this year, and I feel the heat and humidity made me stronger. I beat my goal time by 30 minutes, and ended up pulling for 3 people trying to get their PB. BTW, SBT Gravel is an awesome race and I plan to do it again. Helps we are moving back to Denver in 2 weeks.
Yes. When I first got an ebike (2019 Fathom), I found myself defaulting to assist level 3 (out of 5).
Most of last year with the Stance was the same but I found myself starting to go farther.
Now, this year I find myself expanding my range, and with some minor adjustments using level 2 on average, and level 1 on flats.
The 2.6 Maxxis Forkaster tires on the Fathom were absolutely not road friendly at all, although the new owner is having a fine time with it/them.
The 2.4 Maxxis Rekon tires on the Stance are much better on the road, but nowhere near what I could put on there. Thinking of Schwalbe Johnny Watts or similar.
That would kick the mileage up a notch.
But to answer your question, I would say I'm improving somewhat based on the bike AND the increased mileage.

I love the Rekon on my mountain bike, great tire. It is slow on pavement, but fast with enough grip in the loose stuff. I use the Donelly Strada USHWC on my gravel bike, I get 4k miles out of them, and they ride great and are fast on gravel and road. They are basically slicks, but I have been comfortable drifting in corners for years. Tough to find a good tire that covers both, maybe the Rene Hearse knobby endurance tires?

Back