Adjusting Saddle Height

Strange99

I've been searching for various adjustments to get the new Custom SE 24 I bought into playable shape. They really did a horrendous job at the factory. I cannot seem to find anywhere how to adjust the saddle height. I've seen some videos of other people claiming its the same guitar and they are using an allen wrench. Mine does not have any hex bolts for an allen wrench to work on.

I am really frustrated at both PRS and Guitar Center for selling me a a guitar with so many issues. PRS wont help in any way and we all know guitar center won't. I'm trying to make some adjustments on my own and if I can't get it playable tonight, its going back tomorrow, and I will buy a different brand.

EDIT: Apparently I need to post this up front because some of you aren't reading everything before posting. I started the process of making this right with GC before I even left the parking lot. The thing is they could care less about the issues with the guitar itself. They just say return it. As for the missing items, they will have those sent to me within two weeks, so ill have them days before the return policy expires.

Last edited:
In the bridge, yes. In the saddles there are two holes per saddle. I assumed they were hex screws so I tried a 1/16" and the next size down. 1/16" is too big and the next size is way too small. Plus, maybe its just the fact they are so small, but they don't look hex shaped. All I can think of is that the screws could be on the backside under the plate, but I don't even want to take the plate off if I'm taking this back tomorrow. I haven't seen saddles that you would have to adjust from the backside before, but that doesn't mean anything.

Nope. They handed me a box and said enjoy. PRS didn't include the tremolo arm, truss rod adjuster, nothing... I have a ton of allen wrenches, but I guess not the right one? Man, the one I'm missing must be a tiny microscopic difference between the 1/16" and the other.

saddle-Copy.jpg

Could be Warmart. Is there a standard size for these? I could always run and buy one at my local hardware shop.

Its all good. I appreciate the help you guys are giving. While I waited for a reply I went and bought a Metric set. It's 1.5 and its working. Now just to figure out what I am actually doing. I have buzz on the Bass E String in the lower frets and it doesn't seem to be the truss rod. The relief is pretty dead on. String height is way higher than it should be so Im not all that confident that adjusting the string to correct height will stop the buzzing.

Nope. They handed me a box and said enjoy. PRS didn't include the tremolo arm, truss rod adjuster, nothing... I have a ton of allen wrenches, but I guess not the right one? Man, the one I'm missing must be a tiny microscopic difference between the 1/16" and the other.

Don’t be so quick to blame PRS, as GC are notorious for loosing the accessories, or even including the wrong ones.

Its all good. I appreciate the help you guys are giving. While I waited for a reply I went and bought a Metric set. It's 1.5 and its working. Now just to figure out what I am actually doing. I have buzz on the Bass E String in the lower frets and it doesn't seem to be the truss rod. The relief is pretty dead on. String height is way higher than it should be so Im not all that confident that adjusting the string to correct height will stop the buzzing.

Make sure your tuners nuts are tight before adjusting anything.

Don’t be so quick to blame PRS, as GC are notorious for loosing the accessories, or even including the wrong ones.

Make sure your tuners nuts are tight before adjusting anything.

Good advice on the nuts, Shim, I'll give that a go.

As for the other comment, I have another thread where I explain that the guitar was shipped from PRS to guitar center. Guitar Center then put that box in another box without ever opening it, so PRS definitely forgot the Tremolo and the Truss Rod Tool, plus in that thread I mention that they gave me mismatching pickup frames. They were supposed to match the pickups and they came in the god awful mustard yellow color.

As for the other comment, I have another thread where I explain that the guitar was shipped from PRS to guitar center. Guitar Center then put that box in another box without ever opening it, so PRS definitely forgot the Tremolo and the Truss Rod Tool, plus in that thread I mention that they gave me mismatching pickup frames. They were supposed to match the pickups and they came in the god awful mustard yellow color.

Ok, so it's definitely going back. I touched a screwdriver to the head of the E string nut screw and the head of the screw popped right off. No way to adjust it. This is really an unfortunate experience for me. I always wanted a PRS and I got the shittiest out of the bunch. Guess I wont get to be a fan anymore. Not to mention (but I'm gonna anyways) that there's a good chance someone from PRS has seen my posts and hasn't responded either. Guess you gotta blast everyone on twitter and facebook these days to get results.

Have you contacted PRS customer service ? they have ALWAYS been unbelievably helpful to me. Always have returned email in a few days.

Open a warranty claim if you bought it new, tell them your dealer will not help you.
( and I will say this once don't be an a--hole things happen give them a chance to make it right )

https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/

You can also reach us directly at 410-643-9970 or by email at [email protected].

Have you contacted PRS customer service ? they have ALWAYS been unbelievably helpful to me. Always have returned email in a few days.

Open a warranty claim if you bought it new, tell them your dealer will not help you.
( and I will say this once don't be an a--hole things happen give them a chance to make it right )

https://www.prsguitars.com/ptc/

You can also reach us directly at 410-643-9970 or by email at [email protected].

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/prs-knock-off.39442/

Check this thread out for more of the story. See my most recent replies.

Not true, GC opens the box and checks the guitar, and they are notorious for loosing accessories. You seem hell bent on giving PRS a black eye and not listening to the helpful folks here, and on the other thread, telling you to deal with GC, not PRS. You didn’t buy the guitar from PRS, you bought it from GC. You can whine all you want, but fact is you have to deal with GC, where you bought the guitar.

I smell pie!

Last edited:
Ok, so it's definitely going back. I touched a screwdriver to the head of the E string nut screw and the head of the screw popped right off. No way to adjust it. This is really an unfortunate experience for me. I always wanted a PRS and I got the shittiest out of the bunch. Guess I wont get to be a fan anymore. Not to mention (but I'm gonna anyways) that there's a good chance someone from PRS has seen my posts and hasn't responded either. Guess you gotta blast everyone on twitter and facebook these days to get results.

Sorry to hear about your rough experience so far. I know it’s standard practice for manufacturers to request customers go through dealers for warranty work but I understand why you’re reluctant to do that.

I see you’ve got the bridge saddle adjustment figured out but what is the E string nut screw you’re referring too?

C'mon, Shim. Your the first person to go this route. I'm not lying about this. I even spoke to the manager on duty at my local store that I bought it through and he straight up said "we don't unbox the guitars if they come from the manufacturer themselves". Kudos to GC and the dude that matched the staples on the guitar shaped box itself to the original staple holes. I would know if it had been opened before. according to GC "We don't have the time to look at every guitar."

And also Shim, if you read the other posts you would know, I am dealing with GC and it will be two weeks for the tremolo arm which puts me days away from the end of my return policy. Also, if you paid attention to my posts instead of bitching about a company that isnt yours you would know your post (which I thanked you for) led me to find that a screw on my tuners was broken. You started out helpful and just became a douche.

Sorry to hear about your rough experience so far. I know it’s standard practice for manufacturers to request customers go through dealers for warranty work but I understand why you’re reluctant to do that.

I see you’ve got the bridge saddle adjustment figured out but what is the E string nut screw you’re referring too?

Yea, sorry, my wording is terrible. I meant the screw to the Tuner itself on the back of the headstock. See the picture. I didn't even start to screw the thing in and it plopped right off.

Tuner-Screw.jpg

Back