96 McCarty is coming my way. Any upgrades suggested?

jpringle

Hi
Its been since the 90's that I have owned a PRS make of guitar. Just bought a 96 McCarty, 2 humbuckers with standard electronics.

Is there a McCarty Thread?

What up grades, if any, are ya'll doing?

Thanks and look forward to hearing from anyone!

Like @dogrocketp said I would live it for a month or so. I have a 2001 and thought I'd probably end up making some changes, after a few weeks though I realized that it didn't need any changes - it's ince become my goto guitar (which considering I have 86 guitars including 3 other core models including a 2015 McCarty is no mean feat) maybe change the knobs like @Black Plaid said. hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

McCartys are wonderful, the only two things I don't love about the ones from that era are the pickups and the tuners. The stock pickups may love your amps, and they may not.

Both are very much a matter of personal taste, so the advice about living with it for a while to see what you love and what you don't is spot-on.

Kluson locking tuners from guitar vault are a must. No mod drop in. I put locking bridge posts on mine too. Now I can remove all strings at once without having the bridge fall off.

I didn't like the McCarty bridge pickup, at least not through the amp I was playing at the time.

Love the guitar, killed my LP urges.

I love the McCartys from that era. I’d leave the tuners alone (just not my thing to replace them), but I’d consider putting a set of PRS’ 57/08 pickups in the guitar.

Not that the stock pickups aren’t good, far from it, but I love the more vintage tone of the more recent PRS pickups. Might consider a bone nut as well.

Two things -

1. You guys are slipping! We’d love to see photos of her when she arrives (I apologise for this bit) or it’s a Hello Kitty!;)

2. The mod I’d do is a fretboard clean and restore and fresh strings. If it needs it.

Congratulations and enjoy. Oh and welcome back.

I love the McCartys from that era. I’d leave the tuners alone (just not my thing to replace them), but I’d consider putting a set of PRS’ 57/08 pickups in the guitar.

Not that the stock pickups aren’t good, far from it, but I love the more vintage tone of the more recent PRS pickups. Might consider a bone nut as well.

This. My last two in got 57/08’s immediately. Black Plaid is also correct. One of mine needed a fret level/dress.

Kluson locking tuners from guitar vault are a must. No mod drop in. I put locking bridge posts on mine too. Now I can remove all strings at once without having the bridge fall off.

I didn't like the McCarty bridge pickup, at least not through the amp I was playing at the time.

Love the guitar, killed my LP urges.

Man that is exactly what I wanted to do. Kill the LP urge! Thanks

I've been spending a LOT of time on my McCarty the last couple months and I just can't say enough good things about the 8515 neck pickup I have in it.

I'm running things a little differently in an attempt to clean things up a bit. I have decided to add the treble bleed to this guitar. I really need to keep it from getting dark when I roll the volume down.

Back