58/15 LT and 85/15? BFF?

You know that feeling you get when you bite into a York Peppermint Patty? That... ummm... sensation? Well, that sensation is what my ears heard when I played my first G chord on the 53/10 neck pickup tonight. Where has this pickup been all my life? I can’t even describe WHY it’s so awesome. But it is. It’s like full but clear at the same damn time.

So, the 53/10s are staying in the Korina McCarty. Forever.

I can’t do anything with my 57/08 or McCarty pups because neither set has the lil red wire so I guess the Custom 24 is out of luck with those.

I’m gonna try the 85/15 bridge in the McRosie (with the 58/15LT neck) and if that works out well, I will put some Bare Knuckles in the now 85/15-less Custom 24.

I’ve got one more set of 53/10s so you know what that means... that’s right, I need another used / new to me guitar. Because I can’t let the poor homeless pickups roam the wilderness without a safe place to belong. No pickup left behind. Not on my watch. Whose got a nice Rosewood necked guitar they wanna sell me?

:cool:

I can’t do anything with my 57/08 or McCarty pups because neither set has the lil red wire so I guess the Custom 24 is out of luck with those.

Hmmm, what wires do they have? If it's black with bare wrapped around it, plus a white wire, you can work with those.

Hmmm, what wires do they have? If it's black with bare wrapped around it, plus a white wire, you can work with those.

Yeah they have the black/bare and the little white wire... but to go in Custom 24 don’t I need the red wire to split?

Yeah they have the black/bare and the little white wire... but to go in Custom 24 don’t I need the red wire to split?

No, you just have to adjust the wiring approach. Connect bare to ground, black to hot. White is the split; connect to ground for screw or to hot for slug.

No, you just have to adjust the wiring approach. Connect bare to ground, black to hot. White is the split; connect to ground for screw or to hot for slug.
that is correct. I have a single white wire on my 85/15, in my 594, I had to re solder, twice to get it figured out. I got it out of phase in the middle position, I almost left it like that for a while. Peter Green.
but it's working fantastic, the 2 outer coils both split in the middle position, sound heavenly.
Garrett already helped me figure that out last year.
CjBL1gn.jpg

that is correct. I have a single white wire on my 85/15, in my 594, I had to re solder, twice to get it figured out. I got it out of phase in the middle position, I almost left it like that for a while. Peter Green.
but it's working fantastic, the 2 outer coils both split in the middle position, sound heavenly.
Garrett already helped me figure that out last year.
CjBL1gn.jpg

Cool. So you still get all of the 5 positions sounds then?

Cool. So you still get all of the 5 positions sounds then?

I’m just concerned with the 3 way (pickup) to 5 way (guitar) modification for the Cu24. If I can make the wiring work as intended for the Cu24 then I might be able to use the 57/08s in that guitar.

I’m just concerned with the 3 way (pickup) to 5 way (guitar) modification for the Cu24. If I can make the wiring work as intended for the Cu24 then I might be able to use the 57/08s in that guitar.

If it's a blade switch Custom, you can. The only sacrifice is the split combos won't be hum canceling.

But as gush reminded me, it's a no-go with the rotary.

If it's a blade switch Custom, you can. The only sacrifice is the split combos won't be hum canceling.

But as gush reminded me, it's a no-go with the rotary.

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I’ve got the 5 position blade.

I’ve got a used Custom incoming with non-PRS 4 conductor pups... I will decide whether to move those pups into my old Custom or install the 57/08s in accordance with your wiring recommendation. My current Custom is BRIGHT (maple neck, ebony board) so it needs pickups to balance it.

No pickup shall be left behind (except those McCartys... I am leaving those behind... they didn’t work for my ears).

Awesome. Thanks for the info! I’ve got the 5 position blade.

I’ve got a used Custom incoming with non-PRS 4 conductor pups... I will decide whether to move those pups into my old Custom or install the 57/08s in accordance with your wiring recommendation. My current Custom is BRIGHT (maple neck, ebony board) so it needs pickups to balance it.

No pickup shall be left behind (except those McCartys... I am leaving those behind... they didn’t work for my ears).

The 57/08's (or any PRS pups with the same wires) would look something like this with the five-way:
vSRdnawl.jpg

With the splits going to hot, this will give you the functionality you're used to. Only trade-off is position 4 will no longer be noise cancelling.

For connecting the braided wires to ground, I'd probably wrap a jumper wire around them, solder them together and then solder that to the most convenient ground point. You'll just have to make sure the braids don't come into contact with any of the hot connections. You may need to wrap some spots in electrical tape or shrink tubing.

The 57/08's (or any PRS pups with the same wires) would look something like this with the five-way:
vSRdnawl.jpg

With the splits going to hot, this will give you the functionality you're used to. Only trade-off is position 4 will no longer be noise cancelling.

For connecting the braided wires to ground, I'd probably wrap a jumper wire around them, solder them together and then solder that to the most convenient ground point. You'll just have to make sure the braids don't come into contact with any of the hot connections. You may need to wrap some spots in electrical tape or shrink tubing.

Thanks! This is extremely helpful.

You know that feeling you get when you bite into a York Peppermint Patty? That... ummm... sensation? Well, that sensation is what my ears heard when I played my first G chord on the 53/10 neck pickup tonight. Where has this pickup been all my life? I can’t even describe WHY it’s so awesome. But it is. It’s like full but clear at the same damn time.

So, the 53/10s are staying in the Korina McCarty. Forever.

I’m gonna try the 85/15 bridge in the McRosie (with the 58/15LT neck) and if that works out well, I will put some Bare Knuckles in the now 85/15-less Custom 24.

I’ve got one more set of 53/10s so you know what that means... that’s right, I need another used / new to me guitar. Because I can’t let the poor homeless pickups roam the wilderness without a safe place to belong. No pickup left behind. Not on my watch. Whose got a nice Rosewood necked guitar they wanna sell me?

:cool:

How about a maple neck, Ebony board Santana? Already has a push/pull installed. If you're hung up on Rosewood, perhaps an MEII?

Last edited:
Back