58/15 LT and 85/15? BFF?

FWIW, my Les Paul has a covered neck and an uncovered bridge and it sounds great.

IMO, a pickup cover puts a bit too much honk on the bridge for my tastes. I prefer the slightly brighter, edgier attack of an uncovered pickup.

Conversely, when I tried removing the neck pickup cover it took some of the classic, singing quality away that I dig, so I put it back on.

I’ve never tried pairing a 58/15 with an 85/15, but I image they sound great together if those are the sounds you’re looking for.

I love how this thread went from "Do you think these pickups go together?" to "Hey, wanna buy a guitar?"

I also noticed how my point of view went from *I don’t need no more guitars... I’m just gonna use my drawer of pickups* to *must.use.pickups.need.another.guitar.for.pickups.sell.me.another.guitar*

That koolaid was SUHWEEET. It was tasty too.

I need to get me a glass jug with Paul Reed Smith’s smiling face on it. You know, for that tasty koolaid.

FWIW, my Les Paul has a covered neck and an uncovered bridge and it sounds great.

IMO, a pickup cover puts a bit too much honk on the bridge for my tastes. I prefer the slightly brighter, edgier attack of an uncovered pickup.

Conversely, when I tried removing the neck pickup cover it took some of the classic, singing quality away that I dig, so I put it back on.

I’ve never tried pairing a 58/15 with an 85/15, but I image they sound great together if those are the sounds you’re looking for.

I feel the same way about covers on bridge pickups. I like that “in your face” tone from my bridge.

Haven't had a chance to try the 58/15LTs, but the 58/15s in my new SC245 are so good that I just ordered a set of 85/15s off Reverb for my CE24.

Edit: After actually reading the thread, my response was not relevant at all. However, I will still sing my praises of these pickups from the rooftops!

Haven't had a chance to try the 58/15LTs, but the 58/15s in my new SC245 are so good that I just ordered a set of 85/15s off Reverb for my CE24.

Edit: After actually reading the thread, my response was not relevant at all. However, I will still sing my praises of these pickups from the rooftops!

The 85's sound significantly different, but I think they're a perfect match for a CE.

The 85's sound significantly different, but I think they're a perfect match for a CE.
Back in 2015, our local GC had an AP Custom 24 with a maple neck. That thing sounded awesome, but at the time, it was well beyond my price range. If the 85/15s make my CE sound half as good as that thing did, I'll be a happy camper.

I was never a fan of the older PRS pickups like the HFS/VB set or the McCarty pickups, but these xx/15 sets are just stupid good. Some of the best tones I've ever gotten.

Back in 2015, our local GC had an AP Custom 24 with a maple neck. That thing sounded awesome, but at the time, it was well beyond my price range. If the 85/15s make my CE sound half as good as that thing did, I'll be a happy camper.

I was never a fan of the older PRS pickups like the HFS/VB set or the McCarty pickups, but these xx/15 sets are just stupid good. Some of the best tones I've ever gotten.

I totally agree!

Eh, yes, AP Custom 24 with maple neck.

:oops:

I have one or I guess I should start using past tense: I had one.

I have fallen out of love with it, because I now love another...

Another Custom 24.

I dedicate the following song to my old love with its beautiful flamed maple neck, Jett black marble smooth ebony board, and happy lil 30th anniversary birdies dancing recklessly to and fro:

“Baby we can talk all night
But that ain't gettin us nowhere
I told you everything I possibly can
There's nothing left inside of here
And maybe you can cry all night
But that'll never change the way I feel

{...yada yada yada...tears go here... yada yada yada...}

And all I can do is keep on telling you
I want you, I need you
But-there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad”

:(

I'd love to try that combo - I ended up putting a covered Duncan JB in the bridge of my 594 - and I really like it in combination with the 58/15LT in the neck. I did not like having a low output bridge pickup very well.

i'm chasing that rabbit now. i love my new 594 feel but the bridge 58/15LT is too boring. I have a P Stock CU22 with 85/15's and love those pickups. Just don't want the same sound out of my 594. Maybe it would be different, not sure. Other option is 59/09's. the 58/15 i think would be too similar to the LT. I need more punch. are you still playin the SD's? If you had to pick a PRS pickup for bridge, which would you pick? thanks for your opinion. appreciate it.

i'm chasing that rabbit now. i love my new 594 feel but the bridge 58/15LT is too boring. I have a P Stock CU22 with 85/15's and love those pickups. Just don't want the same sound out of my 594. Maybe it would be different, not sure. Other option is 59/09's. the 58/15 i think would be too similar to the LT. I need more punch. are you still playin the SD's? If you had to pick a PRS pickup for bridge, which would you pick? thanks for your opinion. appreciate it.

I've still got the SD JB in my 594, and I'm pretty happy with it. If I were to change, I'd probably try a 59/09, but I haven't had one before. The PRS pickups I've tried are covered and uncovered 57/08s, 85/15s, and 58/15LTs. The uncovered 57/08s are awesome (P22) although I wish the bridge was just a little hotter. My 594 is a WL, and came with a covered 57/08 in the bridge, which I replaced with the SD. I adore my 85/15s, but like you I didn't want too much redundancy. If I get restless again I may try a Suhr Aldrich set in one of my guitars, I've heard lots of good demos of those.

I've still got the SD JB in my 594, and I'm pretty happy with it. If I were to change, I'd probably try a 59/09, but I haven't had one before. The PRS pickups I've tried are covered and uncovered 57/08s, 85/15s, and 58/15LTs. The uncovered 57/08s are awesome (P22) although I wish the bridge was just a little hotter. My 594 is a WL, and came with a covered 57/08 in the bridge, which I replaced with the SD. I adore my 85/15s, but like you I didn't want too much redundancy. If I get restless again I may try a Suhr Aldrich set in one of my guitars, I've heard lots of good demos of those.

The Suhr Aldrich is a perfect match for the 594, imo. BrianC had a 594 that he put them in. I played that guitar for 10 minutes and ordered a set as soon as I got home. They went in my KL-33. Perfect for all kind of music. Great clarity.

Their P Stock Graveyard II i really expensive and one of Paul's favorite builds. They put the 58/15 LT in neck and 58/15 in bridge. That could be an interesting combination. Paul sure is happy with it. Have you heard of any reviews of that pickup combo?

I'd love to try that combo - I ended up putting a covered Duncan JB in the bridge of my 594 - and I really like it in combination with the 58/15LT in the neck. I did not like having a low output bridge pickup very well.

Did you consider the 59/09 in the bridge?
I’m not happy with my LT in bridge either but kind of wanna stay with PRS.
Thanks

Did you consider the 59/09 in the bridge?
I’m not happy with my LT in bridge either but kind of wanna stay with PRS.
Thanks

I certainly did consider the 59/09, and may yet try one in the future. I went with the JB because it was readily available with a nickel cover, fairly inexpensive, and I knew what to expect as I'd had JBs in a couple of guitars in the past. I understand wanting to stay with PRS, but pickups are a breeze to swap if I don't like them, and I always keep the originals if I want to go back.

Back