58/15 LT and 85/15? BFF?

I certainly did consider the 59/09, and may yet try one in the future. I went with the JB because it was readily available with a nickel cover, fairly inexpensive, and I knew what to expect as I'd had JBs in a couple of guitars in the past. I understand wanting to stay with PRS, but pickups are a breeze to swap if I don't like them, and I always keep the originals if I want to go back.

Brian’s Guitars sells killer PRS guitars and he orders many 594’s with 59/09’s.
I have 85/15’s in my private stock and they are my favorite. Just don’t want same sound.
A 58/15 would still probably not have enough kick in the bridge.

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but... to the point of the OP—I'd actually think of going 58/15 LT in the neck & 58/15 (not necessarily 85/15) in the bridge. If I'm to believe that the 58/15 LT is truly a low-wound version of the regular 58/15, then this would be a classic match-up approach of practically all dual-HB guitars (higher wind in the bridge position, lower wind in the neck position).

Now, if the 85/15 really is the same pickup as the 58/15 only uncovered, well... then proceed, good man! Same applies as the paragraph above.

Aside: Confused on the numbering yet? Yeah. Does anyone else think that PRS didn't do any favors to their audience by having "58/15" and "85/15" pickups on the market at the same time? Something tells me that, at least half the time, these things get completely mixed-up by name. I mean, I had to re-read what I typed above like five times just to make sure I was conveying it right myself.

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but... to the point of the OP—I'd actually think of going 58/15 LT in the neck & 58/15 (not necessarily 85/15) in the bridge. If I'm to believe that the 58/15 LT is truly a low-wound version of the regular 58/15, then this would be a classic match-up approach of practically all dual-HB guitars (higher wind in the bridge position, lower wind in the neck position).

Now, if the 85/15 really is the same pickup as the 58/15 only uncovered, well... then proceed, good man! Same applies as the paragraph above.

Aside: Confused on the numbering yet? Yeah. Does anyone else think that PRS didn't do any favors to their audience by having "58/15" and "85/15" pickups on the market at the same time? Something tells me that, at least half the time, these things get completely mixed-up by name. I mean, I had to re-read what I typed above like five times just to make sure I was conveying it right myself.

PRS makes a high end Graveyard guitar, usually P Stock and I noticed they use the LT in neck and 58/15 in bridge on that guitar and several other versions of guitars so they obviously like that combo. I’ll take a look at that. Love the 59/09 but think I want a newer pickup that would pair well with this 594. Thanks for your help.
I appreciate it.

Personally, I think the naming of these Pick-ups is perfect. Most pick-ups have a name that makes no sense to what it does - Mule or Abraxus for example - even old PRS pick-ups were guilty of this - Dragon for example. Yes its a cool name but it doesn't really make sense.

What I really like about PRS's new system is that they make sense. The first number, (57, 58, 85) relates to the year, the era and spirit they are trying to emulate, to capture and the second number (09, 15 etc) are the year these pick-ups were finalised. Released is not quite the right term as they aren't readily available separately. The letters too make sense - LT= Low Turn, MT= Multi Tapped.

Therefore, an 85/15 pickup is capturing that spirit and sound of 1985. Its the Pick-up that Paul say's he wished he'd had in 1985 to go in his guitars. I think it really suits the more modern PRS models and I say 'modern' to mean the guitars that are the most modern style instruments and obviously, the Custom 22/24 are the most modern style instruments in the PRS Range. The 594 though, is the most 'vintage' instrument in the Range and the 58/15 LT's are perfect for capturing that spirit and vibe. I can understand why some may want a hotter PU but the LT's do capture the vibe of a 'vintage' Instrument. Regardless though, these Pick-ups and the naming makes sense - at least to me

There are some other PU's but I do think they also make sense. The JM635 Pups in the Silver Sky for example are called this because of John Mayer (hence JM) and 635 means they are halfway between a 63 and 64 Strat type sound - hence 63.5 - just without the decimal place. The 408 and 509 PU's are named for the guitar they are in - no different from the Tremonti or DGT Pick-ups. As for the \m/ pick-ups, its clear what they are meant to be for.

I like Pick-ups to be descriptive of what they are, what 'vibe' they are going for etc. It should be easy for people to understand what the Pups are - what they offer so anyone can understand. Then if you are looking to replace a set, you can tell just by the name whether or not they will be what you are looking for.

Yeah, Mozzi, I agree about the numbering being very precise and descriptive (I mean, I do get what Paul means by the '53, '57, '58, '59, etc. numbering system; it is precisely descriptive).

But more so what I was lamenting was how everybody will (and does) often mix-up speaking between the 85/15 and the 58/15... as well as even the 58/15 and the 58/15 LT. With the 58/15 LT being SO popular due to the success of the 594's, I perceive that many don't even realize there's a non-LT version of it out there. Just something I've noticed when reading posts & such--I don't get a lot of confidence that people are calling apples apples and oranges oranges.

Yeah, Mozzi, I agree about the numbering being very precise and descriptive (I mean, I do get what Paul means by the '53, '57, '58, '59, etc. numbering system; it is precisely descriptive).

But more so what I was lamenting was how everybody will (and does) often mix-up speaking between the 85/15 and the 58/15... as well as even the 58/15 and the 58/15 LT. With the 58/15 LT being SO popular due to the success of the 594's, I perceive that many don't even realize there's a non-LT version of it out there. Just something I've noticed when reading posts & such--I don't get a lot of confidence that people are calling apples apples and oranges oranges.

Isn't that more down to the people rather than the fault of PRS?

You can't blame PRS for naming their Pick-ups in a way that makes sense and then People not using the right names for whatever reason. With some Pick-ups, its even etched into their covers too and, as far as I see, I have not seen a retailer listing a guitar and incorrectly listing what pick-ups are in those guitars. For example, I haven't seen a Custom 24 listed with 58/15's by mistake or a 594 being listed with 58/15's (no LT) or 85/15's. I don't look at the used market from private sellers and its their mistake if they are listed wrong.

I also think that people looking to buy used guitars should do their research to know exactly what specs, inc what PU's are installed from Factory so they know what to look for and whether or not they are actually getting what the seller is claiming. If you don't know that a PRS 594 has 58.15 LT's with that etched on the cover, the seller could of swapped them out for some cheap set for example or maybe selling a fake guitar. I almost have no sympathy for people who don't do their research, don't know what to look for etc.

PRS have made it very simple to know what each Pick-up is, what era and spirit its designed to fit into, what vibe its going for. You cannot blame them for their naming format. Its a lot easier to understand than say a BK Mule or Abraxas are aiming for just from the name alone. Most musicians O know though are often gear nerds - especially those that are likely to be in the market for high end guitars...

Does anybody have one of those Wood Library Cu24s with 58/15LT in neck and 85/15 in bridge?

I see quite a few through certain dealers but can’t find any videos or sound clips.

Thoughts on this pairing?

Bueller? Bueller?
Did you end up trying this or???

They already spec them that way. A 58/15 neck is lower wind than the bridge. Same with the 85... and most other PRS pickups.

They may have started that way, but my 2017 85/15 measure 7.63 and 8.20 while my 2015 58/15 measure 7.85 and 8.68.

... a BK Mule or Abraxas
I have a set of each in a PRS and they are both awesome.
If you are in the market for high quality, customisable and articulate pickups to change the sound of a guitar, then for sure you should spend 3 minutes to google these names and learn about them both.

Black screws anyone?

69080945_2387037961403027_1925240596832682909_n.jpg

The point wasn't about these PU's in particular, its that the naming of them is 'irrelevant' to the product and/or what that product does. Its not clear whether they are trying to emulate a 50's Humbucker or some screaming Hot metal pick-up from the name alone. At least with PRS, you can tell something about the Pick-up by the name. A 58/15 pick-up is a Pick-up designed to emulate and capture the spirit of a 58 humbucker and was created in 2015. If it has LT after it, that stands for Low Turns or MT for Multi-tapped...

I couldn't care less what Bare Knuckle are making and what each of their pick-ups are voiced to be, what vibe they are going for etc. I used them because really the naming of the PU's don't indicate anything about the PU's. They were just examples. I don't buy guitars unless I am very happy with the way they sound stock. I also know before I look to buy what the pick-ups are meant to be, what vibe they are going for just from the name alone. I can understand why some may want to change the 'vibe' of an instrument, move the vintage 594 into a more classic or even modern era with a pick-up change - whether that's with PRS PU's or some other brand. I, on the otherhand, bought into the story of the 594 and love the LT's because they 'fit' with the story and vibe.

It also allows PRS to update PU's that still sit in a certain vibe - like a 59/20 or 85/22 for example and you know what 'vibe' those pick-ups are going for from the name alone. You also know what vibe the guitar itself has - a 59/20 is going for a more vintage/classic Humbucker and guitar whilst an 85/22 would be a more modern instrument. You can look at any of the current core line-up and get an idea of what the vibe of the guitar is from just the pick-up name.

That’s all fine mozzi, I did say if you (the greater you - readers of this forum, not you specifically moz) wanted a pickup change... clearly you don’t, and that’s fine. Some here do, others are at least are open to the idea.

I personally don’t want a 1958 copy or a 1985 vibe (whatever that is ? Foreigner ? Madonna? ZZ top? Metallica?). I want something unique - my own guitar, my sound. I’m happy with the search, I’m always learning more.

Did you end up trying this or???

I did, but I ended up returning the LT (Neck) and the 85/15 (Bridge) to my McCarty because, to my ears, the LT gains something indescribable from the additional thickness of the guitar body. I can’t prove that but it was absolutely clear to me. I reached a similar conclusion with the BK Abraxas.

I needed something more ‘biting’ in the bridge position of my McCarty (and my Custom) to work with the LT Neck. I could have tried the 58/15 but it seemed too similar. For my purposes, the 85/15 was perfect...

My WL Custom 24 now has Dragons in it. And they ain’t never coming out of that guitar. Neva eva.

I have a set of each in a PRS and they are both awesome.
If you are in the market for high quality, customisable and articulate pickups to change the sound of a guitar, then for sure you should spend 3 minutes to google these names and learn about them both.

Black screws anyone?

69080945_2387037961403027_1925240596832682909_n.jpg

Gotta love Black Screws! I put some in my 58/15LTs that are in my Singlecut Trem.

It's a like a rug that really ties the room together ;)

I did, but I ended up returning the LT (Neck) and the 85/15 (Bridge) to my McCarty because, to my ears, the LT gains something indescribable from the additional thickness of the guitar body. I can’t prove that but it was absolutely clear to me. I reached a similar conclusion with the BK Abraxas.

I needed something more ‘biting’ in the bridge position of my McCarty (and my Custom) to work with the LT Neck. I could have tried the 58/15 but it seemed too similar. For my purposes, the 85/15 was perfect...

My WL Custom 24 now has Dragons in it. And they ain’t never coming out of that guitar. Neva eva.

Dragons seem to be at home in 24 fretters. They aren't coming out of my CE 24 either!

I believe it! I’m kinda sad that I sold my 30th Ann Custom 24 now... I think Dragons could have totally transformed that guitar for me. That particular guitar now belongs to someone who adores it so it’s all good.

I think we've all gone through those feelings. Another combo that it similar to the Dragons, but maybe a "little more modern" is an 85/15 neck with \m/ bridge. I actually had to pull them from my CU24 because they sounded very close to my CE24 with Dragons.

I think we've all gone through those feelings. Another combo that it similar to the Dragons, but maybe a "little more modern" is an 85/15 neck with \m/ bridge. I actually had to pull them from my CU24 because they sounded very close to my CE24 with Dragons.

That’s good to know. I might have to get a \m/ bridge as I currently don’t have a mate (or a home) for my 85/15 neck.

Thanks!

That’s good to know. I might have to get a \m/ bridge as I currently don’t have a mate (or a home) for my 85/15 neck.

Thanks!

The \m/ is a great pickup. Awesome clarity. Sure, the read hot, but they’re great for all types of music. I had a set in my AP Santana (maple neck/ebony board). Killer!

Back