58/15 LT and 85/15? BFF?

Casi1

Does anybody have one of those Wood Library Cu24s with 58/15LT in neck and 85/15 in bridge?

I see quite a few through certain dealers but can’t find any videos or sound clips.

Thoughts on this pairing?

Bueller? Bueller?

Does anybody have one of those Wood Library Cu24s with 58/15LT in neck and 85/15 in bridge?

I see quite a few through certain dealers but can’t find any videos or sound clips.

Thoughts on this pairing?

Bueller? Bueller?
I can only tell you that 85/15's will always be the best in the versatile world of pickups..

We will only know for sure when someone takes a photo of the underside of the pickup baseplate.

..... there’d have to be half a broken heart machined on each one to make them legitimate BFF’s.

Now you know somebody is going to do that

It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Lil half broken hearts

I don't think I would like that, personally. The 85/15 is the brighter, more open sounding pickup. I think the differences will be exaggerated in that arrangement.

Maybe the other way around, though. I like the more open sounding pickup in the neck position.

But I'm just a guy on the internet, so your experience may vary...

I'd love to try that combo - I ended up putting a covered Duncan JB in the bridge of my 594 - and I really like it in combination with the 58/15LT in the neck. I did not like having a low output bridge pickup very well.

Yeah, right now the 85/15 set is in the Cu24 and the 58/15LT set is in a McCarty. I’m not really in love with the LT bridge and mostly play on the neck.

I'd love to try that combo - I ended up putting a covered Duncan JB in the bridge of my 594 - and I really like it in combination with the 58/15LT in the neck. I did not like having a low output bridge pickup very well.

A JB is a very different beast than an 85/15, though.

Yeah, right now the 85/15 set is in the Cu24 and the 58/15LT set is in a McCarty. I’m not really in love with the LT bridge and mostly play on the neck.

Do you feel like the neck overpowers the bridge?

Do you feel like the neck overpowers the bridge?

I don’t know about the 85/15 set because when in position 3 or in the middle, it sounds to me like 1 humbucker instead of 2 different ones contributing. I can barely hear a difference between neck humbucker and both humbuckers... unless on bridge alone. Basically to me, it sounds like the 58/15LT set ‘should sound’ since both are the same pickup. So you could be right that the 85/15 neck is overpowering it’s bridge. This could also be why my ears don’t pick up the bridge contribution, they only hear the neck on the Cu24. I’d like the Cu24 to sound more unique...

I have 8515 neck 5909 bridge in my Mccarty and it almost overpowers the 5909.

If true then this should work out well. I figure that if the 85/15 neck is so overpowering then I need a gentler kinder neck pickup for its bridge to play with... 58/15 LT? The 85/15 bridge has got to have more pent up anger than the 58/15 LT does in the bridge position.

I read an old thread where IronWolf installed a similar set. I don’t know how that ended up but Willcutts sure have a lot of these 58/15LT and 85/15 combos. I’d be putting mine in a McCarty though so that might change everything, lol.

The 58/15LT in the neck can never leave that McCarty though. Not neva eva. It’s in there forever. Stuck like glue.

I'm still continuing along the path of my tone chasing report "5 pickups in 5 days". I think the 58/15 LT in the neck position of the 594 is near perfection, I took the pearly gates out of my 594 bridge, and went back to the 58/15 LT for about 60 days, got disappointed again, started to put back in the pearly gates, instead I put the 85/15 in there for a revisit. it's been in there for about 90 days I am so extremely happy it blends beautifully in the middle position, and has so much flexibility.
I think I might actually be settled !!! my desire to chase is very subdued actually now that I think about it it's gone. I get more and more pleased with the 85/15 every time I play it, I think it found a home in that 594. So to summarize it works great, 85/15 bridge and 58/15 LT neck is a beautiful combination. for my genre 60s 70s 80s classic rock, it is my go to guitar for all things Pink Floyd as well. zeppelin songs get equal time on the DGT, and the 594.
you definitely will like it, I think, it takes a very small EQ adjustment but I'm very impressed how it can cover classic rock. I am loving it. cleans up superbly with volume adjustments.

The 85/15 pickups aren't very hot at all. Just a touch more oomph in the bridge position than the LT.

I have both in different guitars, and like both. I think the biggest difference is timbre. It’s great having both choices, as far as I’m concerned.

I'm still continuing along the path of my tone chasing report "5 pickups in 5 days". I think the 58/15 LT in the neck position of the 594 is near perfection, I took the pearly gates out of my 594 bridge, and went back to the 58/15 LT for about 60 days, got disappointed again, started to put back in the pearly gates, instead I put the 85/15 in there for a revisit. it's been in there for about 90 days I am so extremely happy it blends beautifully in the middle position, and has so much flexibility.
I think I might actually be settled !!! my desire to chase is very subdued actually now that I think about it it's gone. I get more and more pleased with the 85/15 every time I play it, I think it found a home in that 594. So to summarize it works great, 85/15 bridge and 58/15 LT neck is a beautiful combination. for my genre 60s 70s 80s classic rock, it is my go to guitar for all things Pink Floyd as well. zeppelin songs get equal time on the DGT, and the 594.
you definitely will like it, I think, it takes a very small EQ adjustment but I'm very impressed how it can cover classic rock. I am loving it. cleans up superbly with volume adjustments.

Thanks for the update! I just didn’t want to lose too much of the gloriousness that’s there in the 58/15LT guitar; I want more push from the bridge that’s all. I want the bridge to cut through when needed. It sounds like the 85/15 might be the answer. These pickups would be going in a guitar with a Brazilian Rosewood neck so I’m really interested in what the result will be like.

So....

The Brazzy McCarty is getting a new 85/15 bridge.

AND

The bright Cu24 (now pickup-less) is getting some 53/10s.

:cool:

Thanks for the update! I just didn’t want to lose too much of the gloriousness that’s there in the 58/15LT guitar; I want more push from the bridge that’s all. I want the bridge to cut through when needed. It sounds like the 85/15 might be the answer. These pickups would be going in a guitar with a Brazilian Rosewood neck so I’m really interested in what the result will be like.

So....

The Brazzy McCarty is getting a new 85/15 bridge.

AND

The bright Cu24 (now pickup-less) is getting some 53/10s.

:cool:
Ooooh........5310s!!!!! I've got a couple sets of these in my drawer just waiting.

Back