57/08 sound from 59/09s

guitarman001

So if 59/09s are 57/08s but 10% overwound, I had the idea of rolling back the volume to 9 in order to get the 57/08 sound. Does it work like that?
Somebody else mentioned to me I could lower the pickup height.
Basically I love the 57/08 sound and if I could get slightly closer to that with the 59/09s I'd be very happy (not that I don't like the 59/09 sound, I just love the mellower 57/08 sound).

Thoughts??

What do you mean by mellower? Less output, or less high end? Personally, even with the treble bleed cap PRS uses, I still hear a tad of high end loss when rolling back the volume knob. So if you reduce the volume, you might lose some bite. If you want less output, I would lower the pickups, I find my 57/08's to be rather insensitive to overall pickup height (that is, they sound great without needing much tweaking, so you could probably lower for less output without losing the tone). The neck pickup is supposed to be brighter on 59/09's, so maybe adjust the treble side a touch lower at the neck.

Or you might try reducing the gain on your amp and pedals.

I have both of these pickups and I think the 5909s have a little something the 5708s don't. I hear hints of old school overdrive in the 5909s and on top of that, they seem to get brighter when you roll back volume.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I don't feel like 5909s can really duplicate 5708s in that way.

5909s are in my cu24 and 5708s are in my ce24 both having trems. The only difference is bolt on maple neck on the ce.

I probably wont try touching the 59/09s at all, was just curious.

My Cu24 with 57/08s just has something about it. Great feel, amazing sound - it's my number 1 guitar. The one with 59/09s is a wood library model but everything else other than the pups are practically the same. I could really do with extra cash so I'm thinking.... do I really need two of essentially the same guitar? How many guitars does a person need? I have 2 PRS Cu24, a Suhr, Larrivve acoustic and a bass. Modest collection going by some of you guys (wonder what you do for jobs, I could never afford so many PRS!)

I provable wont try touching the 59/09s at all, was just curious.

My Cu24 with 57/08s just has something about it. Great feel, amazing sound - it's my number 1 guitar. The one with 59/09s is a wood library model but everything else other than the pups are practically the same. I could really do with extra cash so I'm thinking.... do I really need two of essentially the same guitar? How many guitars does a person need? I have 2 PRS Cu24, a Suhr, Larrivve acoustic and a bass. Modest collection going by some of you guys (wonder what you do for jobs, I could never afford so many PRS!)

How many guitars does a person need? !?!?!?!

That's enough of that crazy talk son!!!!!!!

I kinda wish my 57/08 had a little more oomph to them. I like 'em a lot, and maybe when I get my new amp, I will like them even more. But as it stands now, just a little hotter would be great.

I had two sets of 57/08's and loved them but thought they lacked some sustain. Wish I would have messed around with the height and so on.

I kinda wish my 57/08 had a little more oomph to them. I like 'em a lot, and maybe when I get my new amp, I will like them even more. But as it stands now, just a little hotter would be great.

Just in case you haven't already thought of it, there are some wonderful transparent boost pedals on the market that can be dialed in subtly to do that.

Just in case you haven't already thought of it, there are some wonderful transparent boost pedals on the market that can be dialed in subtly to do that.

True. I just got a Diamond compressor, and while not exactly a clean boost, I use it similarly. Really finding a lot of uses for this pedal.

My S2 Standard 22 pickups are a different matter. So much bass from these pickups, even in the bridge position, very deep bottom end. I use the split coil option a lot with these pickups. ANd I set my Diamond EQ towards the treble side considerably. I seldom complain about too much bass, but lately I've been more aware of too much of a good thing in my tone. Subtle tweaks here and there to compensate. My Wampler Euphoria is a good overdrive for both managing too much/little bass and treble.

If you prefer the guitar with the 59/09s and like the 57/08s better, you could swap pickups and sell the one you like less. Just let the buyer know what's in there.

If you want to play live though, having two very similar guitars is not a bad thing. :)

I'm full of hot air. I paid close to £3k for both PRS - would get about £2k in a trade/sale. Don't want to take that hit! I definitely notice the 59/09s have more oomph and more treble. Perhaps I should have tried some other models (Paul's guitar, 408 etc) but would have to take a trip down to London as choices are limited in and around Edinburgh.

Care to name names Les?

Gosh, there are so many good ones on the market...here are the ones I've used that I like, but by no means are these the only worthy ones out there. One important thing to keep in mind is that boosts that work well with one amp may not sound as good with a different amp. I find that you have to experiment a little, and really match a boost to your amp and cab:

Currently I'm using a Suhr KokoBoost. It's very transparent, and brings out the shimmer from the guitar. It doesn't cut bass, and it has a mode that adds a midrange boost that really makes a solo cut. Works well with both my DG30 and HXDA. I don't use a lot of boost, it's dialed in very subtly to add just a touch of gain.

I had great luck with the Xotic EP Booster with my HXDA 50 and 30. It cuts the bass a little, which is fine with those amps, as they put out a ton of bass anyway. I wasn't as crazy about the slight grit it added to the DG30 in the amp's normal mode, but I liked it in the DG's boost mode.

The Fulltone Fat Boost is an underrated pedal. I found it sounded great with Mesas, Fenders, and other 6L6 amps, though it wasn't a good match for the Two-Rocks I played for a long time, and I haven't tried one with my PRS amps.

Then there is the Klon. To me, great as a boost with Fender-style amps. Not so much with other style amps.

But of course this doesn't even scratch the surface of what's out there.

I found the EP Booster added bass, but I guess it depends on how you set it up.

A very underrated boost is the TC Electronics Spark Booster (full size). Great EQ section for bass and treble, plus volume and gain for adding a little grit if you want it, and a 3 way switch that can boost mids (or not), flat or a boosted bass/treble mode (I think it did this, forgotten the details now). Easy to use, and fairly inexpensive too. I haven't tried it yet, but the MXR Custom Shop Micro Amp might be a good one to try too, with separate bass and treble controls that the original lacked.

I have the Spark Booster - great pedal, though I only use it as a boost, not OD.

OK so maybe over-reaction on my part. Played the one with 59/09s tonight and sounds great - if I roll the tone back a bit the treble edges off somewhat making it much mellower.

Back