Duane Allman's '57 LP and PRS 57/08 pickups...

I have been lusting for a set of the 57/08s for a while
I want to try them against the SD Pearly Gates set I have in my MiK 2009 SE Singlecut
a tone I very much love

I’m jonesing for my S2 Standard SC I dropped 57/08s into…it’s off getting a new nut & will hopefully be ready this weekend. I miss it! 😢

I just typed up some information on the 57/08 pickups that I have in my guitars. I have quite a few so I pulled this information together for a tread on another forum. I figured it could be useful in this thread.

I have 8 sets of 57/08 pickups. They range in age from 2009 to 2017, and one that I bought late last year, which I just remembered having. So I have 8 sets and an additional treble pickup. They definitely changed how hot they were winding them for a while. They also changed how they are marking them.

My high and low readings are these.
High
Treble 9.27k
Bass 8.58k

Low
Treble 8.54k
Bass 7.80k

My oldest set is the set in my Ted McCarty single cut. those have no markings on the covers at all. The covers are lightly brushed.

They started engraving 57/08 on the cover and were still brushing the cover.

They then added TM to the 57/08 and still had brushed covers. I have one set that is from back in that 2009 era that have shiny covers and gold pole screws. These were out of a special run guitar back then. Those have 57/08 TM on the covers.

The set in my 2015 P22 Trem are uncovered squabbins. These are hotter wound.

The set I put in my 594 have shiny covers with 57/08 TM on the covers but these have shiny covers, as to all of the current ones sold through the PRS accessories store.

The newest one I have was bought in the fall of last year. I had planned on swapping out the bridge pickup in my Studio. However, after playing with the setup for a few days I got everything adjusted to where I like it. This new pickup has a shiny cover with 57/08 TM on it and it measures at 8.84k. They have gone back to the lower output that they used to wind them at.

I have been lusting for a set of the 57/08s for a while
I want to try them against the SD Pearly Gates set I have in my MiK 2009 SE Singlecut
a tone I very much love
Looking forward to a tone report if you do that. I love both the 57/08s and the PGs but here they're in very different guitars: the Stripped '58 and a suprerstrat respectively. And the bridge PG is almost a 'low wind' at 7.75k.

Wouldn't look forward to messing around with the Stripped '58 but have been temped to try the PG in the SE 245 bridge to compare it against the Wolfetone Marshallhead A2 that's in there now.

They then added TM to the 57/08 and still had brushed covers.
That's what were used in the '11 Stripped '58 with windings in your intermediate range at Treble 8.91k & Bass 8.16k

Screenshot-2024-05-09-at-1-00-44-PM.png

Damn it JasonE… ok, just ordered a pair.
Glad I could help. I feel like I have been trained well by @bodia and @Bogner. :)

That's what were used in the '11 Stripped '58 with windings in your intermediate range at Treble 8.91k & Bass 8.16k

Screenshot-2024-05-09-at-1-00-44-PM.png
One of my sets is in my SC-58. The set in that guitar are really close to what is in my Ted McCarty for measurements. They are marked different though and came out a few years apart.

Groovy Lew!

All this 57/08 talk lately has me wanting to try an older 57/08 bridge pickup I have in the drawer. I remember them generally sounding very full but clear. I can't swing a new set right now, but I can see one in my future.
Welp.......thanks to a couple of enablers on here I'm a proud owner of an older set of 5708s now.......
I hate those two guys.................naw......I love those guys.......

Welp.......thanks to a couple of enablers on here I'm a proud owner of an older set of 5708s now.......
I hate those two guys.................naw......I love those guys.......
Not sure if I had anything to do with that one. :)

Just got my 57/08’s… just trying to confirm… four wires… the DGT’s I’m taking out have braid, hot, split.

57/08’s
Braid = ground
Black = hot
White = split ground ?
Red = ? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Just got my 57/08’s… just trying to confirm… four wires… the DGT’s I’m taking out have braid, hot, split.

57/08’s
Braid = ground
Black = hot
White = split ground

Thanks

Black and White will be positive/negative. If they're reverse polarity, convention is Bridge White to hot, Neck Black to hot. Red is tap.

57/08’s
Braid = ground
Black = hot
White = split ground ?

Thanks
Treble pickup
Black = hot
Red = coil tap
White = ground
Braid = ground

Bass pickup
White = hot
Red = coil tap
Black = ground
Braid = ground

You flip the black and white wires between the treble and bass because the pickups are magnetically out of phase with each other. This puts them in phase for running together.

Thanks! That’s was echoed and confirmed by PRs tech support just moments later! In and rockin!

Treble pickup
Black = hot
Red = coil tap
White = ground
Braid = ground

Bass pickup
White = hot
Red = coil tap
Black = ground
Braid = ground

You flip the black and white wires between the treble and bass because the pickups are magnetically out of phase with each other. This puts them in phase for running together.

Last edited:
Lew... how I miss you
Weird isn't it, knowing the topic starter has passed.

In terms of the 57/08 being all over the place: I have two sets from the first production batch. They are very different, most notably the bridge. Guitars have been produced three weeks from each other and the bridge in one measures about 8.5k. The other one: 7.95k. The latter sounding a little more open (duh). Neck PUs are a lot closer at 7.6 and 7.8.

I just typed up some information on the 57/08 pickups that I have in my guitars. I have quite a few so I pulled this information together for a tread on another forum. I figured it could be useful in this thread.

I have 8 sets of 57/08 pickups. They range in age from 2009 to 2017, and one that I bought late last year, which I just remembered having. So I have 8 sets and an additional treble pickup. They definitely changed how hot they were winding them for a while. They also changed how they are marking them.

My high and low readings are these.
High
Treble 9.27k
Bass 8.58k

Low
Treble 8.54k
Bass 7.80k

My oldest set is the set in my Ted McCarty single cut. those have no markings on the covers at all. The covers are lightly brushed.

They started engraving 57/08 on the cover and were still brushing the cover.

They then added TM to the 57/08 and still had brushed covers. I have one set that is from back in that 2009 era that have shiny covers and gold pole screws. These were out of a special run guitar back then. Those have 57/08 TM on the covers.

The set in my 2015 P22 Trem are uncovered squabbins. These are hotter wound.

The set I put in my 594 have shiny covers with 57/08 TM on the covers but these have shiny covers, as to all of the current ones sold through the PRS accessories store.

The newest one I have was bought in the fall of last year. I had planned on swapping out the bridge pickup in my Studio. However, after playing with the setup for a few days I got everything adjusted to where I like it. This new pickup has a shiny cover with 57/08 TM on it and it measures at 8.84k. They have gone back to the lower output that they used to wind them at.
My 57/08s in my 2008 Smokeburst McCarty measured
7.5 neck
7.8 bridge
Love them!

Weird isn't it, knowing the topic starter has passed.
Lew loved having these conversations, as I do. He and I had a number of discussions about 57/08 pickups. I was kind of an enabler of his with them. :) He had one set of the hotter version too. We talked about those compared to the two hotter sets I have. He liked those hotter ones a lot. He wanted brushed covers on them instead of shiny because he had bought a stripped 58 and wanted them to look like the stock pickups. I told him how he could do that and that it was pretty easy. He tried it on a spare cover he had and was really surprised and happy with the results. I miss him being around here. He loved hot rodding and tweaking his guitars.

Back