Anybody using 57/08 pickups in a guitar with a vibrato?

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
You know...like a CE22 or CE24?

I find that higher output pickups (like the Dragon I) sound best in my CE22's.

But I'm curious how the 57/08 would sound.

Has anyone done it?

Did the vibrato change the sound of the pickup? Less bass maybe?

I put 57/08s in a Dustie Waring CE24. They were amazing - as always. Here's a demo video:

They sound good! They don't sound the same as they do in my Bernie though.

In my Bernie they sound like a 50's Gibson. Allman Brothers tone.

In your guitar they don't remind me of the Allman Brothers.

But they sound cool!

I have an uncovered set in a P22 Trem and I have a set that I put in my SAS. I haven't noticed them sounding drastically different than in my stop tail guitars. The differences I hear could be the guitar itself and no so much the pickups. The uncovered sounds a bit different but again still very good.

They sound good! They don't sound the same as they do in my Bernie though.

In my Bernie they sound like a 50's Gibson. Allman Brothers tone.

In your guitar they don't remind me of the Allman Brothers.

But they sound cool!

Ok, lets try this for the third time. I moved all day yesterday and keep hitting the wrong buttons on my phone...

What you hear in the video is what I call the 57/08 "twang" factor. Every guitar with a trem and bolt-on maple neck that I have installed 57/08s into has added clarity and a twang/bite that wasn't there prior. As a studio player I love it.

I also run my pickups low compared to most. That, combined with 9 gauge strings and higher action, promotes a weaker magnetic pull for lower output. The "hotter" the amp, the lower I run the pickups.

This a particular guitar is wired to a 5-way blade following the 2014 PRS Custom 22/24 wiring specs.

I agree, definitely not Duane Allman, but the guitar (your CE22, too) is different than a singlecut. In my original 57/08 Limited Edition SC245 the puckups had the clarity and twang, also, but there was more underlying girth because if thickness, construction, and woods used.

Ok, lets try this for the third time. I moved all day yesterday and keep hitting the wrong buttons on my phone...

What you hear in the video is what I call the 57/08 "twang" factor. Every guitar with a trem and bolt-on maple neck that I have installed 57/08s into has added clarity and a twang/bite that wasn't there prior. As a studio player I love it.

I also run my pickups low compared to most. That, combined with 9 gauge strings and higher action, promotes a weaker magnetic pull for lower output. The "hotter" the amp, the lower I run the pickups.

This a particular guitar is wired to a 5-way blade following the 2014 PRS Custom 22/24 wiring specs.

I agree, definitely not Duane Allman, but the guitar (your CE22, too) is different than a singlecut. In my original 57/08 Limited Edition SC245 the puckups had the clarity and twang, also, but there was more underlying girth because if thickness, construction, and woods used.
I've been trying various pickups in my CE22. The previous owner had replaced the Dragon II's with some oddball Duncans which I removed.

A combo I really liked was the Duncan JB with a Duncan 59B as the neck pickup. Liked them even more after swapping the polished alnico 5 magnets for roughcast A5. Smoother. Warmer. Less ice picky.

I replaced those with some Suhr SSV and SSH+ pickups. Another set of excellent pickups but ultimately too hot and far away from the PAF sounds I prefer.

Right now it has a set of BKP Abraxas pickups. I like them a lot but I'm still getting used to them.

I do wish the bridge Abraxas sounded more like a 57/08. That thick slightly rubbery tone that lets me shape the tone with my touch and my guitar pick. Like Clapton used to do when he played a Gibson.

So I'm thinking of putting 57/08's or Wolfetone A2 Marshallheads in it. On paper, the Marshallheads have specs very close to the 57/08's.

I have 57/08's in my standard CE 24, and they are phenomenal. Warmer than the 85/15's in my semi-hollow CE24, but not as dark as the 7's in my S2 Singlecut(which are great also), but clearer.

I've been trying various pickups in my CE22. The previous owner had replaced the Dragon II's with some oddball Duncans which I removed.

A combo I really liked was the Duncan JB with a Duncan 59B as the neck pickup. Liked them even more after swapping the polished alnico 5 magnets for roughcast A5. Smoother. Warmer. Less ice picky.

I replaced those with some Suhr SSV and SSH+ pickups. Another set of excellent pickups but ultimately too hot and far away from the PAF sounds I prefer.

Right now it has a set of BKP Abraxas pickups. I like them a lot but I'm still getting used to them.

I do wish the bridge Abraxas sounded more like a 57/08. That thick slightly rubbery tone that lets me shape the tone with my touch and my guitar pick. Like Clapton used to do when he played a Gibson.

So I'm thinking of putting 57/08's or Wolfetone A2 Marshallheads in it. On paper, the Marshallheads have specs very close to the 57/08's.

I have had many CE22s over the years. I, too, experimented with different pickups. In the end I found the Dragon II pickups to be the best.

I love the 57/08's in my Walnut LTD , and agree as does a certain Mr. Grissom on the "natural reverb" effects trems add .

I have 57/08s in my P24 (stock). Sounds great to me ears!

Im using a set of 57/08s in my SE Mikael Akerfeldt. I love them in it.
The one thing I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with for my Akerfeldt is the pickups. But spending $300 or $400 or so for pickups on a guitar that cost me $400 just bugs me...

Maybe I just need to play the guitar more and allow the unique characteristics of the stock import pups to show their qualities a bit more.

I have 57/08s in my P24 (stock). Sounds great to me ears!

The one thing I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with for my Akerfeldt is the pickups. But spending $300 or $400 or so for pickups on a guitar that cost me $400 just bugs me...

Maybe I just need to play the guitar more and allow the unique characteristics of the stock import pups to show their qualities a bit more.
I've had these in a couple of different guitars over the years (and ive also had 3 different sets of pickups in the Akerfeldt over time) They jive really well with it. I play in a Journey tribute and my P24 and the Akerfeldt are my main guitars for it. I did a custom refin on the MA as well.

In my CU24 it works really well. Cannot compare to fixed bridge. But the guitar is "balanced" if that makes sense.

The 57/08’s sound nothing like Marshallheads. The Wolfetones were very honky. So much so that I sold them. I’d had them in an extrordinary sounding lightweight LP… That guitar now has Dragon 2’s in it. (I wanted more output and push)

Last edited:
Back