Anybody using 57/08 pickups in a guitar with a vibrato?

The 57/08’s sound nothing like Marshallheads. The Wolfetones were very honky. So much so that I sold them. I’d had them in an extrordinary sounding lightweight LP… That guitar now has Dragon 2’s in it. (I wanted more output and push)

57/08's have an alnico 2 magnet. Warmer treble and thick mids. Generally, A2 pickups are more responsive to the way I try to shape the note with my pick.

Marshallheads normally have an alnico 5 magnet. More bass, more treble, scooped mids.

But Marshallheads can be ordered with an alnico 2 magnet.

The same pickup with an A5 magnet sounds entirely different with an A2 magnet.

But we'll see. You might be right. Wolfe said he'd take them back if I didn't like them.

He also said he would include two of his A5 magnets for me to experiment with.

Had a long conversation with him yesterday.

Nice guy who likes to talk!

Says everyone who claims their magnets are made in the USA are not telling the truth.

Wolfe says production of Alnico is banned in the USA because of EPA regulations so all guitar pickup alnico magnets are made overseas.

Mostly in China.

Last edited:
57/08's have an alnico 2 magnet. Warmer treble and thick mids. Generally, A2 pickups are more responsive to the way I try to shape the note with my pick.

Marshallheads normally have an alnico 5 magnet. More bass, more treble, scooped mids.

But Marshallheads can be ordered with an alnico 2 magnet.

The same pickup with an A5 magnet sounds entirely different with an A2 magnet.

But we'll see. You might be right. Wolfe said he'd take them back if I didn't like them.

He also said he would include two of his A5 magnets for me to experiment with.

Had a long conversation with him yesterday.

Nice guy who likes to talk!

Says everyone who claims their magnets are made in the USA are not telling the truth.

Wolfe says production of Alnico is banned in the USA because of EPA regulations so all guitar pickup alnico magnets are made overseas.

Mostly in China.
Hi @Lewguitar .. it’s been a while since I had the Marshalheads. I can’t remember what they had in them for magnets…Wolfe is a nice guy. Interesting note on where the magnets are actually made..best of luck with them

Last edited:
Had the 57/08s in a CE22.
Have had them in various other non trem PRS and other guitars.
Not really impressed with them. Nothing special.
Never understood why people like them so much.
Pretty generic PAFs and I have tried all the boutiques and SD/Gibson etc variants.

I've got a used Wood Library Custom 24 with a 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge.
I like the 57/08......I LOVE the 59/09.
The guitar apparently was ordered with this combination of pickups, as I'm not aware of the Custom 24 being stock with those pickups at any point in time.

I had that setup 2x, once with newer 57/08 neck and uncovered 59/09 treble. And once with OG unetched 57/08 neck and unetched covered 59/09 treble. I preferred the second setup the most.

iw8e55J.jpg

8y1ujok.jpg

I have 57/08’s in a 2003 CE24. They’re magnificent for everything. I liked them so much I put them ina Custom 22 stoptail with a rotary. Also exceptional. Nothing is for everyone. These are my favorites, though. I’m thinking about having a set put in my SE Hollowbody piezo.

I have 57/08’s in a 2003 CE24. They’re magnificent for everything. I liked them so much I put them ina Custom 22 stoptail with a rotary. Also exceptional. Nothing is for everyone. These are my favorites, though. I’m thinking about having a set put in my SE Hollowbody piezo.
Now you’ve me goin @dogrocketp . I’ve got a ‘93 CU22 Stoptail that I love, pictured on the left, but the Dragon 1‘s are just a bit to over the top for this bluesrock player, and I need to get it refretted with 6100 jumbos…maybe 57/08’s are the way to go on this. It does have the 5 way rotary switch. I just don’t want to lose the punch this guitar has. Is your CU22 with the 57/08’s still punchy? I’m the main lead guitarist in 2 bands and I play in the style of of Duane Allman & Warren Haynes

Last edited:
I’m an old blues player who uses overdrive for solos. The 57/08’s do everything well. They just nail my sound on the occasional rock song I play, like Dreams by the Allman Brothers.
Yes they do. I have them in three PRS guitars with with a fixed bridge.

I was just worried that they wouldn't have enough low end to overcome what I hear is a little loss in the low end of a guitar like the CE22 that has a vibrato.

But it's a moot point.

I wound up putting Brass Knuckle Abraxas pickups in that CE22 and they work beautifully in that ax.

And look great too!

Thanks for all the advice everyone:) Y’all have been very helpful! Cough cough, 57/08…..

I read somewhere that Paul was able to get ahold of Duane Allman’s Darkburst LP which had the 57 PAF’s in it from Duane’s 57 Goldtop that he traded and he felt were very special, (hence the swap), and he put those in his Darkburst
Paul used these as a reference to building the 57/08 pickups….
Is there truth to this or did I make this up in a dream?

Last edited:
You know, I’ve always been pleased with the low end of 57/08’s.
I am in my guitars without vibratos.

I love the Antiquitys in my Bernie Marsden.

But when I tried them first in my CE22 with a vibrato they sounded a little thin.

Made me wonder if the 57/08's might sound like that (to me) too.

Thanks for all the advice everyone:) Y’all have been very helpful! Cough cough, 57/08…..

I read somewhere that Paul was able to get ahold of Duane Allman’s Darkburst LP which had the 57 PAF’s in it from Duane’s 57 Goldtop that he traded and he felt were very special, (hence the swap) …
Paul used these as a reference to building the 57/08 pickups….
Is there truth to this or did I make this up in a dream?
I heard the same thing, but who knows? They are easily my favorite PRS pickups, and I prefer PRS pickups. The exception is P-90’s. I love me some Lindy Fralin’s……

Back