57/08 Bridge pairing

MescaleroTX

Hello!

I have a covered 57/08 bridge pickup that I took out of my PRS Studio. I followed the advice some others posted here and replaced it with a BKP Cold Sweat. I love the combination of Cold Sweat and the Narrowfields! Ideally, I'd like to pair that extra bridge pickup with something in the neck of another guitar but I am not sure where to start or what would go well with it. Finding a 57/08 neck in the wild to match it would be a long shot so I'm sort of looking around at options. I was eyeballing the 59/09's or maybe a PAF pup from another manufacturer but don't really know where to start. The guitar in mind is solid mahogany body and neck with rosewood fretboard. What would you guys do in that situation?

Thanks!

Ideally, I hope you find a 57/08 neck pickup to match, but of not, I recommend the Seymour Duncan "Whole Lotta Humbucker" for the neck. Essentially a slightly overwound PAF and they sound killer. I have also tried Bareknuckle Black Dogs and they also sound great......but will be pricier.

You could use that bridge pickup in neck position. I dont think the output between neck and bridge 5708s are too different. I think you would have to wire it backwards since it is a prs bridge pup.

That could give you more options.

I've always wanted to try a VB in bridge position.

Carlos, I was actually looking at the Mule. I've heard nothing but good things about that one. I've owned 6 different BKP models over the years and all were great so that's definitely an option. Thanks!

Gush, I dunno man, I can barely wire things forwards :p. I think to keep things simple I'll just plan on it as the bridge for now. Thanks for letting me know that's possible though. It helps to know there's another path.

VHS, I'd love to find one but I've only ever seen them in pairs and for a ridiculous price.

Justmund, not gonna sell it. Just like the guitar, it's mine for life.

I paired a 59/09 treble with a BKP The Mule neck in my Tremonti Custom SE, and they sound beautifully. 59/09 is very similar to 57/08, just a little bit more modern-voiced, so I'm quite sure 57/08 t + The Mule n could be a great combo.
I was a little afraid The Mule would have sounded too "vintage"... well, it wasn't. It's bright and smooth, capable of a great variety of tones, from jazz to blues to rock to evil hellish higher gains, and never get muddy. One of the most versatile pups I've ever heard, a real all-rounder.

DiMarzio 36th Ann is a very nice one, too. I had it in my Tremonti before swapping to The Mule, but it was a little too woody and "smokey" to my ears. I also loved it on the neck of my Chapman ML-2, I think it sounded better there than in the Tremonti.

Back