1986 Model Identification

Thanks all for the responses! So it confirms my new rig is a Custom 24 with Faded Whale Blue coloring!

I'm happy to be able to receive it as a gift! Never ever gong to sell it! However, I'm heavily considering sending it in and have the EGM's replaced with more vintage sound pick ups since I personally don't play heavier genres.

Would it be worth to have 58/15's put in? Or would I lose functionality of some of the knobs/switches? I'm not too familiar with PRS pick ups!
I recently played some 58/15 TM pickups and they are my favourite PRS pickup. Although difficult to compare exactly, I played the PRS against a Huber Orca 59 and a Gibson 2019 R9. I preferred the PRS tone

Thanks all for the responses! So it confirms my new rig is a Custom 24 with Faded Whale Blue coloring!

I'm happy to be able to receive it as a gift! Never ever gong to sell it! However, I'm heavily considering sending it in and have the EGM's replaced with more vintage sound pick ups since I personally don't play heavier genres.

Would it be worth to have 58/15's put in? Or would I lose functionality of some of the knobs/switches? I'm not too familiar with PRS pick ups!

The blue at the time was called "Royal Blue" and is famous (or infamous depending on how you look at it) for fading.

What do the switches do now? I'd be tempted to go with a 3 way toggle, individual coil splits and a middle-on switch.

The blue at the time was called "Royal Blue" and is famous (or infamous depending on how you look at it) for fading.

What do the switches do now? I'd be tempted to go with a 3 way toggle, individual coil splits and a middle-on switch.
Thanks for the info! From what I understand since I don't physically have the guitar in hand yet is that (from bridge pup to back), sweet switch, one's a middle one switch and the other toggles I think?

Change the pickups if you will, but don't restore! It looks really cool this worn. It's hard to find a PRS that's worn right like this one. Usually they're either pristine or just beat up.
I wouldn't diss EMGs off the bat though. David Gilmore had a bunch of EMGs in his strats. They're associated with 'heavy' because they can, but they can do all kinds of other stuff with headroom and clarity. The battery thing is the only drawback I have with them.

Very cool guitar! Congrats. If you change the pickups give Lindy FrLin High Output Humbuckers a try. They’re awesome,!

I'd probably pick the 1985 reissue set over the 85/15s. Just to be as close to the original ones as possible.
I put a set of 'em in my CE22 and now it sounds almost exactly like my '87. Slightly brighter but I ascribe that to having maple neck instead of mahog.

Did you ask your Dad about the factory pickups?

I'd probably pick the 1985 reissue set over the 85/15s. Just to be as close to the original ones as possible.
I put a set of 'em in my CE22 and now it sounds almost exactly like my '87. Slightly brighter but I ascribe that to having maple neck instead of mahog.

Did you ask your Dad about the factory pickups?
Unfortunately the previous owner had the guitar modified so my dad got the guitar as is! I'll look into the reissues!

Back