1986 Model Identification

culray

Hey yall,

My dad is giving me a PRS upon my graduation of college and I've been curious on what exact model I have? I know the guitar was made in 1986, (SN# 6 1925) and might be a Custom 24. I looked at "standard" Custom 24's but I didn't see any with more than 2 knobs and 1 switch. I know that the pick ups and tuners are aftermarket and perhaps some of the switches are too. Here's a picture! Thanks for your help!
U4tc1Vn

Last edited:
Oops forgot there's a 3 post requirement to post pictures! I'll try it again!

If it has a maple top on a mahogany body and 24 frets, its a Custom 24, if its a solid mahogany body and 24 frets its a Standard 24.

If one of the Knobs is the pick-up selector, then that is the original spec - the ones with 2 knobs are 'modded' by replacing the rotary switch as quite a few preferred a more traditional pick-up selector switch

I'm excited for you!!!! Congrats on both the grad and pass down. Now the BIG IMPORTANT question. ARE THERE INLAID BIRDS ON IT. Please say yes. :cool::)

Back in '86, they only had two models. The PRS Guitar (later known as Standard 24) and the Custom (later known as Custom 24). What you have here is a highly modified Custom. Aside from the tuners and humbuckers you mentioned, the middle pickup would've been added aftermarket as well along with the three mini switches. Originally the controls would've gone (as you sweep your hand away from the bridge pup): Volume, sweet switch, 5-way rotary. The finish was originally blue, but it has obviously faded a lot.

Very cool guitar. Definitely a player's machine!

ub2Vv4Y.jpg

Old Bartolinis, eh? Those were all the rage back in the day. I’d ask about the original pickups and keep everything together. As for the exact age, the serial number will tell the truth.

If that’s the original finish, that’s the best aging I’ve seen on an 86 ever!

ub2Vv4Y.jpg

I am not a fan if modifications to a guitar - especially not a beautiful instrument like a PRS.

However, this looks very professionally done (as far as I can see with this picture) and something that looks as if it left the factory like this. I can't lie and for me, the body colour really doesn't work for me (not that it matters what I think) but it looks like it had a lot of figuring to the top. The neck looks very worn too which shows how much use this guitar must of had. Your dad must have played this a lot and its a great gift.

If I had been given a guitar like this, I would be caught in two minds - whether to restore it (and by restore, I mean send it to PTC to be refinish - maybe in a different colour but not remove any of the modifications) or to keep it as is for sentimental reasons. If I went the Sentimental route, I would basically be retiring the guitar, no longer being in my playing rotation and only played very occasionally. If I went the 'restore' route, it would be essentially to make it 'mine' and be in my playing rotation.

Regardless of what I think, or would do, its a well done and totally unique modified PRS and hope you get to enjoy it however you want to - whether its kept for sentiment, become part of your active gear etc...

All I can say is wow. A real '86 officially relic'd and honest wear. Don't see many that way. Folks pay thousands extra for a fake Gibby relic. I love that wear on the board where your dad was playing his stuff. His fingers are embedded in that guit. I'd think very carefully on not changing anything to make it "prettier" or anything like that. Congrats again to you.

How.....that's a great gift! If I received that, I would considering sending it (or taking it) to the PTC for a cleaning, setup, and whatever general maintenance that it might need. I'm not a fan of mods most of the time either, but as was said, these look very well done. Besides, back then everyone was modding everything. I'd keep it just the way it is and keep on playing it. You didn't get it just so that you can stick it in a case in the closet. Play it. Another ding won't hurt it.

Congrats!

Hey yall,

My dad is giving me a PRS upon my graduation of college and I've been curious on what exact model I have? I know the guitar was made in 1986, (SN# 6 1925) and might be a Custom 24. I looked at "standard" Custom 24's but I didn't see any with more than 2 knobs and 1 switch. I know that the pick ups and tuners are aftermarket and perhaps some of the switches are too. Here's a picture! Thanks for your help!
U4tc1Vn
Congrats those early guitars have a beautiful vintage vibe going on

Thanks all for the responses! So it confirms my new rig is a Custom 24 with Faded Whale Blue coloring!

I'm happy to be able to receive it as a gift! Never ever gong to sell it! However, I'm heavily considering sending it in and have the EGM's replaced with more vintage sound pick ups since I personally don't play heavier genres.

Would it be worth to have 58/15's put in? Or would I lose functionality of some of the knobs/switches? I'm not too familiar with PRS pick ups!

Back