We are NOT Customer Service

GTFO, really? I made that s**t up! How somebody would make that connection is ridiculous.
Yeah, I remember him PM'ing me about it, or commenting about it in a thread where someone else used it. Couldn't find it though. May have also been a slam on height challenged persons.

That’s precisely the point, this is a social club. Nothing else.

Hell, this place isn’t even a blip on the radar of their marketing department. So being a Yelper or hoping to use it as leverage to voice some personal grievance and expecting an outcome besides us mocking you is… I mean, it’s entertainment for some of us (read: me) but it’s pointless.

Those of us who have been here for a while, even a short while, understand this. For those that are new to this community or the brand, that isn’t obvious.

From that perspective, this is likely seen as a way to communicate with PRS. It’s a PRS-owned and provided forum. It would be reasonable to believe that it’s intended as a way to communicate with the company. More than that, many, many companies do provide support in that way. PRS is a bit old school in their support—very much the old model of work through the dealer.

The problem is that expectation isn’t clear. There aren’t relationships between dealers and customers in that way, necessarily. Order the product online, receive an email about the order, and the product arrives. That’s the extent of the relationship for most people. They don’t see it as “I bought a Jim’s Guitar Shop product, so Jim is who I work with on it,” relationship. They see it as “I bought a PRS product, so PRS is my support,” relationship.

That’s a reasonable belief. PRS has provided the forum, so it’s also reasonable to believe that PRS would be active and engaged with the community they’ve created. That’s where the disconnect happens.

It’s unfortunate. PRS, as a brand, would be better served by having a presence here. With Shawn gone, that isn’t the case anymore.

As fans of the brand and products, we’re likely best served by being kind to these folks and gently explaining the purpose of the forum.

Ultimately, PRS would be best served by either participating here or shutting the forum down.

Yeah, I remember him PM'ing me about it, or commenting about it in a thread where someone else used it. Couldn't find it though. May have also been a slam on height challenged persons.

Lol! Poor Bill, that would happen to him.

“Squirt” was kinda like trying to make “fetch” happen.

The problem is that expectation isn’t clear. There aren’t relationships between dealers and customers in that way, necessarily. Order the product online, receive an email about the order, and the product arrives. That’s the extent of the relationship for most people. They don’t see it as “I bought a Jim’s Guitar Shop product, so Jim is who I work with on it,” relationship. They see it as “I bought a PRS product, so PRS is my support,” relationship.
Great post and valid points, but I kind of disagree with this. I drive a Honda. Honda provides a warranty. I don’t work with Honda if my vehicle has a problem, I work with the dealer. If the dealer can’t fix it, they work with Honda. Likewise, if I buy a pair of Under Armor shoes at Dick’s Sporting Goods and there’s an issue with them, I take them back to Dick’s. The Tyson chicken I bought at the grocery store has a problem when I open it, it goes back to the grocery store, I don’t contact Tyson. I know, kind of apples and oranges in some respects.

That said, I really do wish the PRS had more involvement here. I miss Shawn.

PRS, as a brand, would be better served by having a presence here. With Shawn gone, that isn’t the case anymore.

Agree wholeheartedly. However while I would really like someone from PRS to occasionally monitor the PTC section of the forum I also realize that they are working their duffs off trying to get back orders to customers.

Ultimately, PRS would be best served by either participating here or shutting the forum down.

Whoa, cowboy ..... can't agree about that. They are providing a place for enthusiasts to gather and talk about numerous topics in a civil manner, which I find generous and valuable. What Hans posted is correct in that while members can offer their own experiences for solving similar problems sometimes the only way to solve an issue is to call your dealer or PRS. Considering the state of things in the world I can understand why we don't have a concierge present.

Great post and valid points, but I kind of disagree with this. I drive a Honda. Honda provides a warranty. I don’t work with Honda if my vehicle has a problem, I work with the dealer. If the dealer can’t fix it, they work with Honda. Likewise, if I buy a pair of Under Armor shoes at Dick’s Sporting Goods and there’s an issue with them, I take them back to Dick’s. The Tyson chicken I bought at the grocery store has a problem when I open it, it goes back to the grocery store, I don’t contact Tyson. I know, kind of apples and oranges in some respects.

That said, I really do wish the PRS had more involvement here. I miss Shawn.
I'd have a problem with Tyson if I opened my chicken and got apples OR oranges. Lunch bag letdown!

The purpose of this forum is to give users a place to gather and share the PRS experience, including the passing along of helpful knowledge. It’s a user’s forum. It was never intended to be a “come speak with Paul” place, and it serves its intended purpose well.

You make several valid points, though. I’ve often thought the PTC forum should be renamed “Problems and Fixes” or something that didn’t infer it was directed to the actual PTC staff. It’s like having a “To Paul Smith” forum that Paul never checks. Otherwise, I think everything here is really helpful and self-explanatory.

Good point Tucson. But while the PRS "entity" may or may not be present all the time on these boards, you can certainly surmise that they do follow what's going on. I spent a good deal of time as an admin on a m/c forum that was specifically devoted to a certain model of a particular brand of motorcycle. It was privately owned and run and had no direct affiliation with the OEM at all. However, in my professional life as that brand Dealer, I had many discussions with their Tech and R&D in the Canadian offices where they indeed followed the forum and its membership for insight on that particular product and the possible trouble shoots owners figured out on their own. All with the premise that they could learn and apply what they found and apply it to customer service. Riders benefitted as did the manufacturer themselves. Just because they're not active participants doesn't mean they don't listen. And no this isn't a "sounding board" nor should it be (my opinion). The direct line to Customer Service is that sounding board, that's what it's for. That, and the relationship of a customer with the dealer network. Chain of command if you will.
God forbid they (PRS) should shut the site down, this is a very vibrant community with many many brand loyal members that care both about the products and the friends cultivated herein. With so many knowledgeable folks here that hacks like me can learn from, this is a very valuable tool and reference source for information and advice on multiple topics.
So sayeth the newbie and 64 year old PRS rookie...:D

God forbid they (PRS) should shut the site down, this is a very vibrant community with many many brand loyal members that care both about the products and the friends cultivated herein. With so many knowledgeable folks here that hacks like me can learn from, this is a very valuable tool and reference source for information and advice on multiple topics.

Yep. This forum was established in the aftermath of the previous forum (where a lot of us first met) going belly-up. It was far from a seamless transition, and @]-[@n$0Ma☩!© notably pushed hard in the early days to make this forum what it has become, a friendly place where we share our knowledge, bust each other's chops now and again, but mostly tolerate no a$$hole-ism. You don't have to like everything, you don't have to agree with everything, but you are expected to express that respectfully. The (very) few blowups that we've had have almost all been because someone couldn't be respectful.

Wait... this is not a customer service forum?

DbAD8WrXcAIanna.png

Back