What are you hoarding?

Simon Says

Cathode Follower
I used to hoard a lot of pedals, but in the past couple of years, my pedalboard has been smaller and smaller; I also thinned my collection. I can't see a point in them collecting dust, knowing I will never use them.

In my Fender days, I aimed to collect all Fender Frontline Magazines with all their editions and misprints. Three years ago, I went to Peach to buy a new Fender CS and returned with PRS. That put an end to my Frontline collection. I may try to collect PRS catalogues at some point, but I'm not far from what I already have.

For some time now, I have collected strings ball ends. I'm not sure why or what I do when I fill in the little bottle. I will probably get a giant bottle...

What are you hoarding?

So I'm taking that as you sold or traded in the pedals? I still have an issue for collecting pedals but I feel like it's all about trying new things and "refining my sound". I had changed my medium board up yesterday so now it's different from what it was on here:
Basically I moved the Optimist to the and kicked off the Iron Bell, so the Optimist is where the Iron Bell was in the video and the JHS Prestige is where the Optimist was at. The sound is alot more clearer and full sounding to my ears.

As far as things I hoard/collect:
1. My wife says guitars, pickups and pedals (25+ guitars, maybe 100 pedals, maybe 40 sets of pickups)
2. My kids say Hot Wheels cars (easily over 3,000 still packaged but all boxed)
3. I say video games (Even though I don't really play anymore, I have all of the systems from NES til the PS5/Xbox Series X). It's just tradition, and has been since I was young to buy the newest game console when it arrives.

Also shark stuff, as silly as it seems. I have a Mako's jaw, a shark in a jar, a guitar pick that is made from shark took, a guitar nut made of shark tooth, shark necklaces, shark bracelets, blah blah blah.

Simon those look like D'Addario ball ends .. love those colors
I've collected pins since I was a kid, it started out with ski racing pins, then BMW pins ( 2 wheeled) , Harley Pins , Olympic pins .. etc .
I like them because they are inexpensive and easy to fit in luggage. Guitar pics are a constant as well . Anything Mickey Mouse ...probably why I have 5 ES 335 type guitars ... My late Mom started it .. she gave me her 1936 Steamboat Willy Watch . The company I spent half a lifetime with had Disney as their first customer ( HP~ a frequency gnereator used in Fantasia .. with ..the Mouse) and I was born the DAY that Disneyland was completed.

Of course there is the instruments , and WOOD .. I'm forever on the search for exquisite sets for instruments I'll likely not live long enough to build .

Last edited:
I used to hoard a lot of pedals, but in the past couple of years, my pedalboard has been smaller and smaller; I also thinned my collection. I can't see a point in them collecting dust, knowing I will never use them.

In my Fender days, I aimed to collect all Fender Frontline Magazines with all their editions and misprints. Three years ago, I went to Peach to buy a new Fender CS and returned with PRS. That put an end to my Frontline collection. I may try to collect PRS catalogues at some point, but I'm not far from what I already have.

For some time now, I have collected strings ball ends. I'm not sure why or what I do when I fill in the little bottle. I will probably get a giant bottle...

What are you hoarding?
Oh man, my wife would love to have that bottle of beads. She makes jewelry and loves to make it out of my old strings and the ball ends. It is another way she connects with my playing. I got her a whole box of old strings from the local guitar shop. They were going to throw it out. She loves it. It has tons of guitar strings and some bass strings in it.

As the saying goes .. It's not hoarding if it's cool stuff. Other than instruments, it's pics and pins . I use to get a pin for every HD dealer I passed on the road .. with over 100k on 2 wheels that''s a bunch . I have a bunch from my BMW days as well Friends and Family have given me various pins from thier travels as well. .. and ANYTHING Mickey Mouse .. especially watches. MY late mother gave me her 1936 Steamboat Willy watch , the first product my company ( HP) sold was to Disney , and I was born the day Disneyland was completed .. Which may explain my 5 ES-335 type guitars .. Never Mess with The Mouse!
I have a Harley Davidson dealership poker chip collection. It isn't huge but that was something I started doing when I took a 10 day road trip with some guys in a riding group I was in at the time. I remember the good times on the trip when I look at the chips and where the dealerships are. I don't know that I have enough of them to call it hoarding though.

What do I hoard?

I have to say Guitars, Pedals and Amps. I have more of all of them than I will ever need but have a lot of trouble getting myself to sell any of them. I have still been buying pedals. However, I think the last one I bought may have broken the cycle. There is really only one more pedal that I am thinking about buying and I have held myself off on doing so. I know, just one more right? For me the hoarding has been OD pedals. The one I am considering is not an OD pedal. I honestly think that last OD broke me. I have a completely different thought now on OD pedals.

I hoard used nails. Also 5 gallon buckets.

I wish I was kidding.
smack.gif

Besides guitars, I guess it's liquor. I love 'cocktailing', and have a better equipped bar than many actual bars. Probably 15-20 different amaro, and as many different types of bitters, in addition to many oddities and all the usual base liquors. Bourbon and American whiskeys are a favorite.

That being said, I'm actually not a big drinker; one per evening is normal.

Hoarding is my wife's job. She just can't throw anything else. Funny enough, she was kind of a neat freak until her mom died. Then it's like she took the torch from her mom. I get her mom and dad. Raised during the depression. Dad wounded on Iwo Jima. Seven kids. They kept everything.

About the only thing I hoard is guitars.

I’m ALWAYS looking for the next guitar to add to the collection.

Luckily I do sell off a guitar or 2 when I add 1 to the collection.
I'm starting to focus on amps, because I only have a few amps. Thinking about trading in a Chinese Squier Mustang for an American Ultra Mustang soon

Hoarding is my wife's job. She just can't throw anything else. Funny enough, she was kind of a neat freak until her mom died. Then it's like she took the torch from her mom. I get her mom and dad. Raised during the depression. Dad wounded on Iwo Jima. Seven kids. They kept everything.
I don't even want to get into my Wife's hoarding. I am kind of not allowed to mention it. She doesn't like that.

The closest to pedal collecting I ever was was just before COVID-19. A mate of mine saw a YT clip on a dude who started with £100 buying and selling challenge. After a year, he had enough for a new Gibson Custom. We did the same; six months in, I went through 300 pedals; I had 50 at any given time and was going wild. Then, when Covid came, people stopped buying or started taking advantage of private sellers. You know, offering ten quid for 100 quid items. It pissed me off, and I stopped hoarding. I sold it all, and I bought three more amps. Then I sold them too, used part of the money for my Custom 24 downpayment, and I blew the rest on stupid **** like a lifetime supply of toilet paper and canned food.

With the guitars, it stopped before it started. I like to keep my guitars in good condition. I am not talking scratch-free or anything like that. My guitars got bumped and dented; I have never got nuts because I scratched my guitar - I say regular strings changes, proper setup, mirror shine frets, etc. I can barely do it with three guitars; I wouldn't be able to do it with a hoard.

I have a problem with magazines….seriously. I hate to throw them away. I have huge amounts of motorcycle, atv, and guitar magazines going back a number of decades. To be fair I do reread some but I have a problem.

Also I am moving in a couple years and really have to do away with most of them. Would love to give them away, the thought of throwing them away is like book burning.

Back