Hello - What Would You Go With?

firefunkrevival

Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum and I’m trying to make it happen on my first PRS acquisition. I’m down to 2 (do I need more) options but I feel stuck on which I should get. I’m trying to trade an 89’ Strat Plus Deluxe for either a McCarty 594 semi or hollow or a special with with semi or hollow. Whether I make the trade happen or not, I’m probably going to get one or the other as I played a special the other day and the tones… wow! Any suggestions on what you like better and any reasoning would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Last edited:
Hey Kyle,

Sorry for my delay in responding. Regards your choice of PRS, it sounds like you'd like to find either a semi-hollow or hollow body guitar. My guess is that, like you, many of us are concerned about the weight of guitars taking a toll on us over time. Then, there's the concern about your budget.

If cost is not an issue, the core model McCarty 594 II Hollowbody, Hollowbody II Piezo, or Special Semi-Hollow are your 3 choices. The hollowbody models typically weigh in between 6 and 7 lbs. Semi-hollowbody, slightly more.

However, if cost is a factor, the SE Hollowbody Standard, the SE Hollowbody II, the SE Hollowbody II Piezo, or lastly, the semi-hollow SE Zach Meyers will save you money, and allow you to build a collection over time, instead of diving headlong into the deep end, before getting your feet wet first.

Your decision will ultimately depend on what styles of music you prefer. My suggestion is that you spend some time in front of your computer with a good set of reference monitors or headphones, and listen to each guitar on YouTube as represented by the PRS factory. Bryan Ewald does a great job of showcasing each guitar, its features, and each guitar's qualities.

Once you've listened to each, you can either doing an internet search for new or used examples. To be sure you receive a quality guitar, at the conclusion of this post I've included a reliable online retailer's website who sells both new and used gear. The reason I've included this retailer is because they've been very kind and responsive regards my questions of their stock, and their service is superb. Once you feel more confident buying online, the standard eBay and Reverb websites have plenty of new and used examples. The reason I suggest working with the retailer at the conclusion is that the retailer is accredited and a trusted online business.

Questions you might need to ask are: What's the neck profile like, and how does the neck feel? Plz describe the fretwork (any noticeable fret tangs, fret wear, or dead spots)? Plz describe the pickup and electronics configuration (all original, modified)? Do the strings bind at the nut? Does the guitar stay in tune? Any structural or cosmetic issues?

Once the owner or retailer can clearly answer these questions, you're ready to purchase. You might be able to negotiate your cost, but sometimes the price is what it is. Things that might cause me to pass up a deal would be a neck profile not suited for my hands (learn what neck profiles are available on each guitar with Bryan Ewald), fret work needed, subpar pickup swaps or electronics modifications, binding strings, a guitar that won't stay in tune, or significant structural issues. Some folks prefer well-gigged guitars, others exceptionally clean examples.

Hopefully all of this information will prove useful to you in selecting what guitar would best work for you. A good choice might be a used recent SE model in excellent condition. Not only would you save money, but you'd have extra for whatever amp or modeler you'd want to go with your purchase.

Best wishes.

https://www.davesguitar.com

Bob

Hey Kyle,

Sorry for my delay in responding. Regards your choice of PRS, it sounds like you'd like to find either a semi-hollow or hollow body guitar. My guess is that, like you, many of us are concerned about the weight of guitars taking a toll on us over time. Then, there's the concern about your budget.

If cost is not an issue, the core model McCarty 594 II Hollowbody, Hollowbody II Piezo, or Special Semi-Hollow are your 3 choices. The hollowbody models typically weigh in between 6 and 7 lbs. Semi-hollowbody, slightly more.

However, if cost is a factor, the SE Hollowbody Standard, the SE Hollowbody II, the SE Hollowbody II Piezo, or lastly, the semi-hollow SE Zach Meyers will save you money, and allow you to build a collection over time, instead of diving headlong into the deep end, before getting your feet wet first.

Your decision will ultimately depend on what styles of music you prefer. My suggestion is that you spend some time in front of your computer with a good set of reference monitors or headphones, and listen to each guitar on YouTube as represented by the PRS factory. Bryan Ewald does a great job of showcasing each guitar, its features, and each guitar's qualities.

Once you've listened to each, you can either doing an internet search for new or used examples. To be sure you receive a quality guitar, at the conclusion of this post I've included a reliable online retailer's website who sells both new and used gear. The reason I've included this retailer is because they've been very kind and responsive regards my questions of their stock, and their service is superb. Once you feel more confident buying online, the standard eBay and Reverb websites have plenty of new and used examples. The reason I suggest working with the retailer at the conclusion is that the retailer is accredited and a trusted online business.

Questions you might need to ask are: What's the neck profile like, and how does the neck feel? Plz describe the fretwork (any noticeable fret tangs, fret wear, or dead spots)? Plz describe the pickup and electronics configuration (all original, modified)? Do the strings bind at the nut? Does the guitar stay in tune? Any structural or cosmetic issues?

Once the owner or retailer can clearly answer these questions, you're ready to purchase. You might be able to negotiate your cost, but sometimes the price is what it is. Things that might cause me to pass up a deal would be a neck profile not suited for my hands (learn what neck profiles are available on each guitar with Bryan Ewald), fret work needed, subpar pickup swaps or electronics modifications, binding strings, a guitar that won't stay in tune, or significant structural issues. Some folks prefer well-gigged guitars, others exceptionally clean examples.

Hopefully all of this information will prove useful to you in selecting what guitar would best work for you. A good choice might be a used recent SE model in excellent condition. Not only would you save money, but you'd have extra for whatever amp or modeler you'd want to go with your purchase.

Best wishes.

https://www.davesguitar.com

Bob
Thanks for that info, there are so many choices! I’m set in the amp department (fender twin in tweed) (and guitars really but I know I can’t say that here) so I think I’m going to head to the 594 route. Does the full hollowbody have any sound issues? I researched some stuff and was hearing people complain about the fulls but liked the semi better. I’m open to either. Any pics you have?

if you can live with a 3 way toggle on the horn, power to you.
My key consideration would be around electronics layout and what sounds and variety of those I'm looking for.
Then (if not equally important) color, wood and grain options to suit the look I'm after.

If the Special Semi-Hollow speaks to you, then that's the one you should get.
It did have some serious tones in it. Just about everyone you could want. Just never got to the 594 in my hands. Heard the neck was chunkier and that it was a real nice piece. Any other suggestions other than those two?

Each of the guitars you're looking at has its charms. One choice doesn't beat the other choice.

The most satisfying instrument buy is when you happen to run across an unusually great-sounding instrument that also feels like it was made for your hands, and you know it'll be a keeper.

When you have that, it doesn't really matter what model it is, it's a smart move to get it. You can always get the other model down the road when you find one that speaks to you.

There are even times I follow my own advice! ;)

I'd go with the special , it's the most versatile. Another option when you can find one is a Walnut LTD.
tccmckfgviywksuzv7tw.jpg
( I have a Custom shop Strat,Special Artist ,594 HB II Artist too)

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, there are so many choices! I’m set in the amp department (fender twin in tweed) (and guitars really but I know I can’t say that here) so I think I’m going to head to the 594 route. Does the full hollowbody have any sound issues? I researched some stuff and was hearing people complain about the fulls but liked the semi better. I’m open to either. Any pics you have?
Kyle,

Currently, my modest collection contains a SE Hollowbody II, used mostly for "jazz" practice. I used to own an SE HBII Piezo several years prior, but I couldn't quite get the hang of playing guitar with 2 outputs well.

Here's the SE HBII, in Black/Gold. Not exceptionally figured, but that's not why the guitar was purchased. The reason was 6 lbs. 4 oz.:

SLZF4Uz.jpg

Kyle,

Currently, my modest collection contains a SE Hollowbody II, used mostly for "jazz" practice. I used to own an SE HBII Piezo several years prior, but I couldn't quite get the hang of playing guitar with 2 outputs well.

Here's the SE HBII, in Black/Gold. Not exceptionally figured, but that's not why the guitar was purchased. The reason was 6 lbs. 4 oz.:

SLZF4Uz.jpg
Does that have the piezo pup in it? That is beautiful. I’d prefer one input. What pick ups are in that one I like those 58 15 lts.

I prefer the scale length and neck shape of the Special. That would make me inclined to go with that over the 594. I have played both, but own neither. I prefer the more Strat like tones of the Modern Eagle V to the Special. New models will likely be announced by the end of the month. There might be more options to consider in the near future.

I prefer the scale length and neck shape of the Special. That would make me inclined to go with that over the 594. I have played both, but own neither. I prefer the more Strat like tones of the Modern Eagle V to the Special. New models will likely be announced by the end of the month. There might be more options to consider in the near future.
I have a couple of strats so I’m looking for the other end of the spectrum currently. Good info though I’ll check those others out.

Back