2024 PRS S2 Lineup?

Aurora46

I have my eyes set on a 594 McCarty Thinline. It's been backordered everywhere but there some prior year models floating around Reverb. I've been waiting to pull the trigger until PRS announces the 2024 S2 lineup, in case any new colors or features are offered. However, it is now March and there has been no S2 lineup announcement from PRS, no any promotion of the S2 line on socials or the blog. Customer service and multiple retailers have not responded to my questions with any details.

Is this a quiet discontinuation of the S2 line or is the MD factory just very backed up on Core orders that they are taking a long (perhaps a year long) break from new S2 unit production?

PRS has seemingly been focusing on the new SE models, so I imagine they are perhaps sitting on stock for any new/changed S2 / Core models until later this year, so as not to steal thunder / cannibalize sales.

At some point I thought PRS had a cadence to their annual line updates, but that seems to have faded away (or I'm easily distracted). Maybe April will bring something?

I wouldn’t hold my breath on an update. They did the 58/15 LT “S” pickups last year. But in truth I have rarely seen them pop up for sale yet with the guitars. I do think the s2 line has the longest wait time.

Go for an older s2 thinline is my recommendation.

I think the product line updates for 2024 have mostly already been announced... was it December? Back when the new version of the 24-08 came out, I think they're also quietly making updates to the existing products, such as those LT versions of the 58/15 S pickups.

In other words, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a new color or major feature update.

Edit - you may consider keeping an eye on some of the well known mom and pop dealers, sometimes they do special runs and can get limited edition colors, places like Wildwood, CME, etc.

Yeah it’s been a year and I’m still seeing majority of the s2 594 made in 2023 with regular S pickups. Not the LT S.

Can’t help but feel that the S2 is the red head step child of the PRS lineup. Gets the SE parts and seems like after thoughts for routine updates

Can’t help but feel that the S2 is the red head step child of the PRS lineup. Gets the SE parts and seems like after thoughts for routine updates
Especially these days, when the SE lineup has gotten so good. I own an S2 Standard 24 Satin which I really like, but if I were buying today, I would have gotten the new SE CE Standard Satin instead (or SE Swamp Ash Special, if Sweetwater ever gets them back in stock). What a bargain!

I have my eyes set on a 594 McCarty Thinline. It's been backordered everywhere but there some prior year models floating around Reverb. I've been waiting to pull the trigger until PRS announces the 2024 S2 lineup, in case any new colors or features are offered. However, it is now March and there has been no S2 lineup announcement from PRS, no any promotion of the S2 line on socials or the blog. Customer service and multiple retailers have not responded to my questions with any details.

Is this a quiet discontinuation of the S2 line or is the MD factory just very backed up on Core orders that they are taking a long (perhaps a year long) break from new S2 unit production?
I'm reading this post for the first time while searching for all I can on the interwebs about the new PRS S2 2024 announcement today. American pickups and electronics!!! Woohoo!! . I, too, have been waiting to see where the S2 line landed. I got an SE Cu24-08 for Christmas last year (it's my fav over my SE Cu24 and my Fiore) and was considering numerous mods, but I think I'm going to patiently wait for the new orders and back orders to come and then subside and find a "sale" deal on what I've been hoping would happen.

I'm thrilled I managed to hold off and wait for an announcement. This move to reshape the S2 line by PRS makes total sense. I am on the waitlist for the new Thinline 594 at Sweetwater. I do wish PRS could have timed this announcement earlier and closer to the 2024 SE and Core lineup reveals, or at least acknowledged the delay on an S2 update in my communication with them, but it's all water under the bridge now.

I'm thrilled I managed to hold off and wait for an announcement. This move to reshape the S2 line by PRS makes total sense. I am on the waitlist for the new Thinline 594 at Sweetwater. I do wish PRS could have timed this announcement earlier and closer to the 2024 SE and Core lineup reveals, or at least acknowledged the delay on an S2 update in my communication with them, but it's all water under the bridge now.

I agree. S2s haven't been on my want list, but I'm looking forward to trying out the new ones. If they turn out to be tone machines, I'd like to see some standard colors and a couple of annual color changes just for fun.

Back