Finally it's here...my S2 McCarty Thinline NGD

Daryl Jones

non-practicing pacifist
While it seemed an endless wait (actually was only about 3 months) I picked up my "new to me" S2 McCarty Thinline. Truth be told, just prior to me being gifted COVID from my wife's travels, I was set to drive into the city and buy a new one at an afore mentioned shop. Only thing I really miss on that one is the drop dead Vintage dark cherry color, but I think I can peacefully exist with my black beast and kept well over $1000 in my jeans for the price of the whole setup. It's in really nice condition, although it does have two really small chips in the finish, and I can certainly overlook those. Having played the guitar multiple times in the last year it's really the sounds, tonal abilities and playability the matters. The board and amp had about one weekend's gig play on them when he picked it all up and they are literally flawless. Josh only used them in his studio for his own pleasure so they didn't get much more use than that at all. I did use the amp a few times when there, usually playing one of my other PRS guitars while he played the S2 through his old Line 6.
It does fret differently than my other two PRS guitars (SE Custom 24 and SE Hollowbody II Piezo) but after spending a couple hours with it this morning, it certainly isn't any heartburn going between the tree of them one after the other. But damn, this thing is so smooth and effortless it's beyond what I was expecting. I would easily run out of expletives describing my first by myself voyage with it. I haven't even deeply tested the waters on the amp much, I just used the clean channel and toyed with the voice setting some but holy s**t I love this combo!
I thought my other two PRS guitars were all I ever needed or wanted until I got lucky enough to try this one when Joshua showed it to me and let me play it a few times. So I started searching for decent used stuff. No avail so I started looking at the PRS site and spied the Vintage Cherry and lo and behold, said store had one coming. So the "please honey" began and herself relented without too much coaxing. Then while I was sick, Josh called and told me he was moving and did I want his S2. Then he told me he'd do the guitar, the amp and the board for way less than the new one by itself was. Thank God she gave me the pox and I was housebound when I had planned to drive to Edmonton!!!
So yesterday I brought the whole shebang home and placed it all by our little tree, she never even noticed me putting it up to take the pictures...
Merry Christmas too me!:D

I had a lot of fun this afternoon. Guitar feels like an old friend already. Then for giggles I hooked up the Custom to the new amp for a spin to compare. And it's still really good, but it's somehow a bit "thinner' and kind of raw? in comparison. Kind of like a brash youngster trying to play with the bigger kids. I didn't get a chance to coil tap and go crazy with single coils and lots of overdrive but the difference is actually more than what I expected. I'm gonna have some fun with that board and my seldom used Hotcake real soon I reckon. Not that I'm going to leave my Custom on the shelf all the time, but the S2 is definitely the new king (duh). The HBII will still/always have it's own unique niche in my game.

Absolutely beautiful ! I've been eyeing a cherry Thineline myself. After you've given it a proper spin get back to us and let us know what you think. As an old SG player I think I'll feel right at home with a Thineline. Enjoy !!

And interestingly I'll be pairing mine up with a Blackstar combo.

Absolutely beautiful ! I've been eyeing a cherry Thineline myself. After you've given it a proper spin get back to us and let us know what you think. As an old SG player I think I'll feel right at home with a Thineline. Enjoy !!

And interestingly I'll be pairing mine up with a Blackstar combo.
Oh you can bet I'll be talking this thing up ad nauseum when I get the time to "fiddle" with it (pun intended!) more. I just hope I can keep my enthusiasm to a low enough level to not bore everybody to tears. I was pretty giggle struck when I got my Hollowbody last year, but this is a whole different level of playing field for me.
God help me if I ever get to play a Core...:eek:
I am pretty used to the flavor and clarity of that amp, I've played through it a bit in the last 6-8 months. Was a no brainer to jump all over that. The board was just sort of cake sprinkles. But I think I'll enjoy that more in time.

Back