One of these knobs is not like the other....

worthmoremusic

First time PRS guitar owner. Purchased the new SE CE 24 Standard Satin in Cherry Red from Sweetwater and have been playing it now for 3wks .. I clicked on the button "notify me when you get them in stock"..and they did ..right away ! They've been backordered ever since.

Love the 7lbs weight, the satin finish whereby you can see the mahogany grain, like the smaller body and of course the price which allowed me (and many others I'm sure) to now be able to afford a PRS.

Right out of the box I was concerned because the tone split coil knob has zero resistance as compared to the volume knob. With the right wind, the tone knob could be easily turned.
So I called PRS directly and spoke to a guy (forget his name at the moment) who said as long as the knob doesn't keep turning without being responsive, it should be fine.

Not sure if any of you who also expressed loose feeling knobs have ever called PRS as I did but the tech guy I spoke with at PRS offered some long, technical explanation about the kind of pots that Paul Reed Smith prefers using and that it really wasn't uncommon the loose feeling...from all I've read on these forums that apparently my experience is not an isolated one...

Reassured prior to hanging up the phone the tech guy said IF for any reason down the line I have an issues at all with the guitar (within it's warranty I will assume) that PRS and or Sweetwater will rectify the situation.... :)

All four of the tone & volume pots on my S2 are like this- they’ll turn at the slightest touch. It’s taken some getting used to as my Gibby takes more muscle to turn, but it does allow quick subtle adjustments just using the tip of my pinky finger while playing, which is useful.

Yeah, that's a normal tone pot on a PRS. Paul likes them that way, so that's how they are. I seem to recall someone from PRS once stated on this forum that they remove a washer (?), or something along those lines.
I read that response from someone from PRS too re: the washer or whatever it was.... Just seems odd. One feels good, secure and well...one of these is not like the other ! Thanks for your reply.

Congratulations on the new guitar! It sounds like it’s just sth you’ll get used to but great to know you have the option to rectify if it bothers you.

I love the PRS pots, specifically because they turn easy. I am with Paul on this one. I ride my volume knob quite a bit. The looser pot allows me to make those adjustments so much smoother than some of my other guitars. I can easily adjust it with my pinky and some of my other guitars take two fingers to turn the pot. If I played those guitars more, I would put PRS pots in them. I have one that I have actually been considering doing it to for a while because I play it a lot. Thankfully the pot in it isn't real hard to turn and I can adjust it with my pinky so it stays the way it is.

There's also the matter of parts tolerances. They vary from pot to pot.

I don't think the SEs use the same pots the Core models use, either. But they're all very light-feeling knobs. I think that's desirable.

There's also the matter of parts tolerances. They vary from pot to pot.

I don't think the SEs use the same pots the Core models use, either. But they're all very light-feeling knobs. I think that's desirable.
I agree ...based on the model, different parts, electronics and hardware, are used....however the new Satin SE CE 24 is virtually the same guitar as their SE 24 sans the glossy finish with the maple veneer top and is $200 less. I am probably one of the only PRS fans that is not a fan of flame tops. I much prefer less flashy instruments in either a natural wood or solid color finishes. As I started this thread, sadly not all pots/knobs feel or react the same. My volume knob feels good...has the right tension however there tone knob feels incredibly loose and according to PRS that is not uncommon...and that as long as a knob doesn't keep turning and responds, it's fine....just feels kind of (for lack of a better word) cheap.

Out of curiosity, I just picked up my turquoise SE CE 24 Standard Satin (I wish they could have come up with shorter name) and confirmed the same thing. The volume has much more resistance than the push/pull tone. I didn't really notice it until I read this thread, so I guess it didn't really matter to me. I typically balance guitar tone nob with the amp settings and leave it alone. Only rolling back volume if I need to clean up a bit of gain.

I think it's kind of interesting that it's intentional due to Paul's preference. I would have simply chalked it up to a difference in fixed pot vs. p/p pot and shrugged it off.

Out of curiosity, I just picked up my turquoise SE CE 24 Standard Satin (I wish they could have come up with shorter name) and confirmed the same thing. The volume has much more resistance than the push/pull tone. I didn't really notice it until I read this thread, so I guess it didn't really matter to me. I typically balance guitar tone nob with the amp settings and leave it alone. Only rolling back volume if I need to clean up a bit of gain.

I think it's kind of interesting that it's intentional due to Paul's preference. I would have simply chalked it up to a difference in fixed pot vs. p/p pot and shrugged it off.
Same issue as you have read above...apparently it is what it is. According to PRS the resistance in knobs, or lack of, is not that uncommon. As long as it works. Just odd to me they aren't the same in that regard.

Back