Your first...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by solacematt, Aug 8, 2015.

1. WeFixFlats

WeFixFlats Respect The Clave

'Having a Rave Up' - The Yardbirds(1965)

2. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

My attention span was never long enough to figure out an album. I'd just learn enough of songs I had to play to be able to fake it well enough to still get paid.

3. gball

gball New Member

First song I remember learning was "Tangerine" by Led Zeppelin. First entire album I sat down and learned all the way through was Black Sabbath's "Paranoid."

Truth is, I still learn by ear if we are doing a cover of some sort, or if I just want to know something. Most of what I play now is original so it's not very often but I do learn a song that way a couple of times a year. After so many years of doing it I can usually listen to something through once and get the majority of it on the first run-through.

4. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

I can't believe I am the only person on here to tackle this first. Santana "Black Magic Woman". I did a fair job back then. I still play it pretty much like I learned it, but with more of the fast stuff included. Still can't get all of it, but I only cover up a little bit.

5. jfine

jfine New Member

A whole album? I don't think I've ever learned a whole album! Well, maybe Miko Marks about eight years ago, but I was playing in her band at the time! Have to learn the material to keep the gig, right? In the early days, I think the first solo I tried to learn note-for-note was on Louie Louie by Paul Revere & The Raiders, or maybe it was Chuck Berry's Johnny B Goode. Yeah, I'm really old...

6. Raven17

Raven17 Raven Lunatic

Zeppelin I and and Van Halen I

7. CVS

CVS Not so new member

This has been on my list to learn since - you guessed it - 1981 - Chords and solos are great!

8. Whitecat

Whitecat Goes home to Starla

Probably no whole albums, but could play my way through '2112' at one point - the entire first side...

9. Huggy B

Huggy B Space is the place

Never took the time to learn a complete album, didn't seem like a productive thing to do, was gigging in a cover band 6 months after picking up the guitar so I had to learn too much different material. (hmm....that gives me an idea)

As for the first stuff I learned note for note: Europa-Santana, Breezin'-George Benson, Crazy Train - Ozzy, Shook me all night long - ACDC, Ain't talking bout love - Van Halen, and most of the Sade songs (easy R&B/jazz rhythm stuff).

10. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

Never did the full album thing, either, but at one point, we had most of "Kiss Alive!", a good chunk of "Alive II" and about half of "Blizzard Of Ozz". Not note-for-note on any of it.

Still buy the tab books to this day. (FYI - Music Dispatch is clearing a bunch out at $10 until Saturday. I picked up several Rush books there.) And back in the day, I bought the Randy Rhoads Star Licks and Star Jams audio cassettes. Helped with some chunks, but I've found since then that they're not necessarily the same as later interpretations - I still tap a section of "Mr. Crowley" that is NOT tapped.

Oh to have had DVDs and YouTube 35 years ago...

11. Bluesboy998

Bluesboy998 New Member

Santana Abraxas Steeley Dan Kid Charlamange.When I was young saw the Yardbirds Steel Pier Atlantic City Happenings Ten Years Time Ago. And you guys think your old.