Your first...

solacematt

An old friend and I were talking like night who is primarily a 7-string player and told him I was having trouble figuring out the fingering for a chord. So I played him the song and he was like man, I haven't figured out a cd by ear in forever. So what was everyone's first album that they figured out themselves by ear. Mine was in 1998 and was a tossup between Creed's My Own Prison and Godsmack's self-titled disc. Can't remember which one I figured out first since I was figuring them both out at the same time.

"Rip It Out" by Ace Frehley from the 1978 Solo album...it had to be around 1985 - first song I knew I had to learn to play, as it was Ace that made me want to play in the first place. I still play that song in the band I'm in now too! I still have the most fun playing old Kiss stuff - "Rocket Ride", "Shout It Out Loud", Love Her All I Can", etc.

The first song that I was able to figure out by my lonesome was acoustic. 1988 or so, I would have been 18.
Cocaine, by DVR. Then it was a short trip to Deep River Blues by Doc Watson and then Doc's Guitar.

First electric was Crossroads by Cream, same timeframe.

Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore East - Started figuring out these songs in the mid 70's and still working on many of them from time to time (OK - I forget some of the rifs and then have to relearn them - such as with Whipping Post, which is in progress right now)

Um, because I'm that old, it was _2112, but not the leads. Still haven't done that...

I think the first I learned by ear would be Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here. After I thought I got the album down, my dad bought me the book, and I was pretty far off.

Even after 'taking a break' from playing the guitar, after I got my SE, I was still able to play parts of Shine on you Crazy Diamond

"Rip It Out" by Ace Frehley from the 1978 Solo album...it had to be around 1985 - first song I knew I had to learn to play, as it was Ace that made me want to play in the first place. I still play that song in the band I'm in now too! I still have the most fun playing old Kiss stuff - "Rocket Ride", "Shout It Out Loud", Love Her All I Can", etc.

I can't help myself. I grew up listening to kiss so I know a lot of that material. I would love to play shock me in our band.

Once you get past the makeup and goofy antics, some of the music is pretty good.

:top:

I can't help myself. I grew up listening to kiss so I know a lot of that material. I would love to play shock me in our band.

Once you get past the makeup and goofy antics, some of the music is pretty good.

:top:

The first time I remember trying to work out a song by ear was an assignment from my guitar teacher. "Dancing Fool" by Frank Zappa. Followed by "Since I've Been Loving You". Don't think I ever got either of them all that well.

1966 Peter, Paul, and Mary, followed by Bab Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel. Acoustic finger picking.

Damn, I'm old.........

CD's weren't invented yet.

I've never figured out an entire album Just songs here and there. Never had the urge to learn a whole album. Lot's of Pearl Jam, AIC was learned. When I first started playing GnR Appetite For Destruction was what I wanted to learn. I never tried learning the whole thing though. I think I bought a tab book for it at some point. I used to rent these videos from our local music store. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back