YA'LL SLIPPIN'?

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Seems that a new color Parlor just hit the street. I haven't seen any mention of it. Color is "Lotus Pink." Looks pretty cool. I don't play a lot of acoustic, although I do have an Alex Lifeson SE and a couple of Breedloves.

Carry on...

Don’t forget toga parties.
When it comes to life advice, that's as good as it gets, right there.

400 years ago, while I was a student at IU, my fraternity had an annual “Roman Orgy.” Our house was a horseshoe shape with an 7 foot wide entry way between the 2-story wings. Using railroad ties and sheets of plastic, we would build a 4 foot deep pool blocking the entrance. At the top of the wings, another railroad tie lay across the roofs, and a swing rope was tied to the middle. Since the entry way was blocked by the pool, the only was to enter the house was to swing on the rope across the pool. All party goers were required to enter this way.

One year, one of our brothers decided to be the grand finale of the event. His final feat (you don’t want to know the earlier ones) was to shave his head bald, pour lighter fluid on it, strike a match to it, and jump off the 2 story cross beam into the narrow 4 foot deep home-made pool.

He survived, joined the Marines, and eventually came back to Bloomington to head the local Chamber of Commerce.

I can’t make this $hit up. Toga parties rule.

They had a huge toga party at my school during freshman year. I had a basketball game that night and didn't get back til well after midnight. By then, the party had been broken up. I missed it.

The stories about the party were all you heard for the next few months... my freshman year started fall 79, so one year after Animal House came out and apparently they tried to match or top anything from the movie that they could. My friend said was on his way there and the word was going around "Nothing under the toga." He said he had gym shorts on under his and they were "removed" before he was allowed in. Highlights were things like the "wet toga contest" or the huge industrial fan they stole put it right on the front steps leading up to the frat house. Everyone had to walk right by it to get in. More than one toga was blown completely off. Then they had a "walk by the fan" contest, which included voting and prizes... Kids plastic swimming pools filled with beer, with ropes tied to tree limbs that you had to swing over the pools (maybe a theme. LOL) And, a 50' long slip and slide, going down a hill into a pool of beer. And much more, but it was broken up by police and college admin... and the very next week an official announcement from the college was made that there would be no more toga parties allowed on campus. I saw some doosy's but apparently it was the wildest party ever on campus. My room mate, and other two friends from where we grew up, and all my football player buddies were there, but all the guys on the basketball team missed it. One of my professors was even telling me about it 3 years later because he was there and just got out before the cops came. The football team was so hung over the next day that several threw up on the field.

Did I mention that I missed it?

They had a huge toga party at my school during freshman year. I had a basketball game that night and didn't get back til well after midnight. By then, the party had been broken up. I missed it.

The stories about the party were all you heard for the next few months... my freshman year started fall 79, so one year after Animal House came out and apparently they tried to match or top anything from the movie that they could. My friend said was on his way there and the word was going around "Nothing under the toga." He said he had gym shorts on under his and they were "removed" before he was allowed in. Highlights were things like the "wet toga contest" or the huge industrial fan they stole put it right on the front steps leading up to the frat house. Everyone had to walk right by it to get in. More than one toga was blown completely off. Then they had a "walk by the fan" contest, which included voting and prizes... Kids plastic swimming pools filled with beer, with ropes tied to tree limbs that you had to swing over the pools (maybe a theme. LOL) And, a 50' long slip and slide, going down a hill into a pool of beer. And much more, but it was broken up by police and college admin... and the very next week an official announcement from the college was made that there would be no more toga parties allowed on campus. I saw some doosy's but apparently it was the wildest party ever on campus. My room mate, and other two friends from where we grew up, and all my football player buddies were there, but all the guys on the basketball team missed it. One of my professors was even telling me about it 3 years later because he was there and just got out before the cops came. The football team was so hung over the next day that several threw up on the field.

Did I mention that I missed it?

Ugh, I’m so regretful I missed all the homoerotic activities being in a fraternity would’ve afforded me.

Good thing I was in Straight Edge Hardcore bands to make up for it.

Ugh, I’m so regretful I missed all the homoerotic activities being in a fraternity would’ve afforded me.

Good thing I was in Straight Edge Hardcore bands to make up for it.

:p I wasn't in the frat, but two of my friends from high school were, so we were invited to all their parties. They had me up to a couple my senior year in high school, because they were both (twins actually) a year older than me, so I got a taste of the wild college life while in high school.

I was not a big beer drinker then, but they had a "fill any size cup for a quarter" beer keg. You just bring your own cup. We'd go to Speedway and get a 30 oz cup every time before we went. :cool: $.50 and I was buzzed. Well... I was buzzed before we got to the beer, but I digress.

:p I wasn't in the frat, but two of my friends from high school were, so we were invited to all their parties. They had me up to a couple my senior year in high school, because they were both (twins actually) a year older than me, so I got a taste of the wild college life while in high school.

I was not a big beer drinker then, but they had a "fill any size cup for a quarter" beer keg. You just bring your own cup. We'd go to Speedway and get a 30 oz cup every time before we went. :cool: $.50 and I was buzzed. Well... I was buzzed before we got to the beer, but I digress.

I wasn’t in a sorority (although you all know it is/was a lifetime dream of mine), but I have played a few, slept in a couple, and certainly had an intimate evening with my head perched over the toilet bowl in one in Oklahoma.

I’ve learned three things from that:
1) It’s important to keep your long hair outta the toilet bowl when you’re throwing up. Find a barf buddy at the start of the night.
2) Girls are not inherently cleaner than men.
3)I shoulda gone to college rather than playing colleges.

I wasn’t in a sorority (although you all know it is/was a lifetime dream of mine), but I have played a few, slept in a couple, and certainly had an intimate evening with my head perched over the toilet bowl in one in Oklahoma.

1) It’s important to keep your long hair outta the toilet bowl when you’re throwing up. Find a barf buddy at the start of the night.
How smart we become as we age!

Who would have thought this thread would yield so much sage life advice?

Back