NGD Orion Green Silver Sky!

Adjusting the saddles, one of the height adjustment screws stripped. Argh.

The one problem I haven't yet decided how to fix is that now the action is adjusted to where I like it, the saddle screws poke out and into my hand. I may end up sanding them down to size.
Just get some shorter saddle screws. They're called set screws or "grub screws" on Amazon.

I haven't been able to find them where I live so I ordered them on Amazon.

A REALLY good hardware store would have them though.

McGuckin Hardware in Boulder had them, but out here in the boonies where I live now even ACE doesn't stock them.

I owned a combination of strats and strat-shaped guitars over the years, but never really bonded with them. Until now. Maybe I got lucky, but I these seems to be really special guitars.

If you can, you owe it to yourself to find one of these 2022+ rosewood fretboard models and give it a spin. I don't know what they usually come in at, but the 7.25 lbs really makes it comfortable for me.
Here's what happens when I pick up a Strat: I feel like I picked up a porcupine.

Here's what happens when I pick up a Strat: I feel like I picked up a porcupine.

Ooh spiky!

“Who said that?!”

“Me! What of it??”

“I was just asking, don’t get so tetchy!”

“Hey, I’m allowed, its my age”

“Aggggeeee??!! Don’t talk to me about age, Les is on his third millennium and you don’t hear him getting tetchy!”

“OK, so sorry. I mean, just because some guy on here is older than all of us (sulks)”

“OK, we’ll say no more about it until @DreamTheaterRules @alantig and @dmatthews chip in. Somewhere along the line @dxe will bring up Loverboy.”

Last edited:
the saddle screws poke out and into my hand. I may end up sanding them down to size.
Besides the sanding or grub screws, the option that I chose for this '86 Gibson scale MIJ Squier was a set of Highwood saddles where the threads are on the lower bend and the screws are well below the saddle tops. Probably way easier wanting to mod a decades old Squier than a new PRS though!

BPD38142.jpg

Besides the sanding or grub screws, the option that I chose for this '86 short scale MIJ Squier was a set of Highwood saddles where the threads are on the lower bend and the screws are well below the saddle tops. Probably way easier wanting to mod a decades old Squier than a new PRS though!

BPD38142.jpg
Those are cool. Never seen them before. Wonder if they change the tone of the guitar ever so slightly?

A little more flex or resonance in the top of the bridge saddle because the two screws aren't directly supporting that part of the saddle that the strings contact.

Just speculating! Seems like a good design.

Yep. ST-331 single H from the Fujigen factory; fit & finish are supurb but some cheap hardware. In addition to swapping out the saddles to get rid of the @LSchefman 'porcupine feel' it has a SD Pearly Gates which made a huge improvement also.

Terrific pickup. I put a set of Pearlys in mine since it was a two humbucker model.

Just get some shorter saddle screws. They're called set screws or "grub screws" on Amazon.

I haven't been able to find them where I live so I ordered them on Amazon.

A REALLY good hardware store would have them though.

McGuckin Hardware in Boulder had them, but out here in the boonies where I live now even ACE doesn't stock them.
I found some 1/4 tall ones, but they are ... different sizes.

Do you know which size the Mayer guitar uses? The threading and diameter.

No. But in my SE Silver Sky the thread is the same as it is for the screw that tightens the tremolo arm. Remove that screw, put it in a little baggie so you don't lose it, and take it to a really, really good hardware store and buy an assortment in different lengths. If you know the thread size you can also find them on Amazon. They call them GRUB SCREWS.

M3 is the thread size on my SE Silver Sky. But that's metric. You probably need English/American threads if your guitar was made in the USA. I'd guess it would be the same as for an American made Strat. These are described as being 4-4. That's probably the thread. https://reverb.com/p/fender-099-492...gZlFik_o3mGq2eF0ABU0ZHSXT--klp6EaAge5EALw_wcB

Back