NGD - Silver Sky Part II

Mondoslug

One man's insignificant blatherings...

After jumping all in SE style and seeing how great the fretwork was on the SE DGT & SE 594, figured I should get over my Silver Sky seems so wrong fear and do it. I bought an Overland Gray/Maple one. I really did like that guitar but I just couldn't get past the fret sprout on it. The worst that I've personally come across in my possession. You know you have to weigh it though...do you like it that much to deal with having it fixed. I passed, probably the wrong decision but it won't be my first. :)

Enter Piano Black/Rosewood. A few sharp edges but not enough to make me run. This guitar has a few more mids maybe, I dunno. The wood. I floated the tremolo, tech that I ain't but I know how to do it. Trying 10s and 9.5s, backing the Trem Claw screws out and back in a bit, man those holes stripped out quickly...like termites. JK but it didn't happen on the Overland Gray/Maple one.
Anyway, it's nice, positions 2 & 4 really sound great...& quiet.

So far I think I like the SE 594 best, it's fun to play, feels great, makes you want to pick it up.

Decaff!

Last edited:
Congrats!

Sweet top!
Thanks! None more black!
Sweet as sweet!
:)
Congrats! FWIW on mine I just pulled one of the springs and it landed nicely in the floating level position.
Thanks, I may try it again. It's weird, the Maple/Gray one I had, 3 springs, floated & 9.5s felt right, this one felt just a little too wimpy so back to 10s and cranked the claw back with it set as it came, weird as that is with the back of the plate resting on the body angled down but it does sound good this way and I just slightly warble stuff, it feels a little bit like it's floating but I may I just talking myself into that. :) I'll probably try three springs with 10s, don't think I've done that yet.

One man's insignificant blatherings...

After jumping all in SE style and seeing how great the fretwork was on the SE DGT & SE 594, figured I should get over my Silver Sky seems so wrong fear and do it. I bought an Overland Gray/Maple one. I really did like that guitar but I just couldn't get past the fret sprout on it. The worst that I've personally come across in my possession. You know you have to weigh it though...do you like it that much to deal with having it fixed. I passed, probably the wrong decision but it won't be my first. :)

Enter Piano Black/Rosewood. A few sharp edges but not enough to make me run. This guitar has a few more mids maybe, I dunno. The wood. I floated the tremolo, tech that I ain't but I know how to do it. Trying 10s and 9.5s, backing the Trem Claw screws out and back in a bit, man those holes stripped out quickly...like termites. JK but it didn't happen on the Overland Gray/Maple one.
Anyway, it's nice, positions 2 & 4 really sound great...& quiet.

So far I think I like the SE 594 best, it's fun to play, feels great, makes you want to pick it up.

Decaff!

Depending where you live and the season's change and turning on the heat again and all of that: FRET SPROUT seems to be a normal occurrence here in dry western Colorado. Especially on guitars and necks that are new to Colorado.

So don't lose a GREAT guitar just because it needs a little touch up. Put together a little tool collection and learn how to fix it. It's easy.

Depending where you live and the season's change and turning on the heat again and all of that: FRET SPROUT seems to be a normal occurrence here in dry western Colorado. Especially on guitars and necks that are new to Colorado.

So don't lose a GREAT guitar just because it needs a little touch up. Put together a little tool collection and learn how to fix it. It's easy.

Thanks, I absolutely get all that. I actually tried to fix one fret but I couldn't really decide if I loved this guitar enough to deal with it because the frets were so horrible...climate or not I wasn't convinced to keep it. I'm going to try another Maple one though at some point. Thanks for the reply!

I do like that 6" Leveling File though! This needed that for sure, if I had that I would have taken a whack at it. It still pisses me off though, brand new guitar should not need that. That's just me though.
Indeed!

Last edited:
Thanks, I absolutely get all that. I actually tried to fix one fret but I couldn't really decide if I loved this guitar enough to deal with it because the frets were so horrible...climate or not I wasn't convinced to keep it. I'm going to try another Maple one though at some point. Thanks for the reply!

I do like that 6" Leveling File though! This needed that for sure, if I had that I would have taken a whack at it. It still pisses me off though, brand new guitar should not need that. That's just me though.

Indeed!
Maybe should not. But the reality is that they often do. Or will eventually.

Wood shrinks and moves with the seasons, and metal frets don't. So they stick out when the heat goes on.

I'm starting to learn that you can't spend your whole life arguing with the way things ARE.

This ain't heaven after all. It's the planet Earth.

:) Agreed, it's not my first time with it. I've had a Bourgeois & Collings where it happens a little bit seasonally...I deal with it
I've had some Mexican Strats that I've dealt with it also, This was over the top though & I just chose to move on from this particular instrument. That's all.

Back