Why the drastic differences in McCarty Sunburst color?

deanproxy

I've been looking at getting a 594 and I sometimes really like the McCarty Sunburst color, but other times find it looks completely different depending on the guitar. It's either an orange-ish burst color, or just plain yellow.

For instance, there's this one

750-Mc594SC10MS_angle.jpg.auto.webp

And then there's this one:

0298206-angle-large.jpg.auto.webp

They are both listed as "McCarty Sunburst" but they are very, very different in color... What's up with this?

Seller error? People call PRS the wrong colors all the time. Sometimes they even make them up.

I'm not a McCarty expert but PRS changes back colors all the time.

EDIT- I just noticed those 3 images are from sweetwater. If it's current stock call them and ask. They're pretty helpful. Or call them anyways to see what they say.

Last edited:
For comparison, this is the McCarty Tobacco Sunburst:

750-Mc594SC10MT_angle.jpg.auto.webp

I understand that tobacco typically has a darker ring but color consistency isn't really a thing in the PRS world. I chalk it up as it comes with the territory of having such an array of colors among other things.

I think the fact that virtually every PRS made Is different in color is a really good thing. Your guitar can look very different from my guitar, which is supposedly the same model and color. Where’s the negative in having MY guitar look so unique, compared to your equally unique guitar? Too much of our world is uniform and cookie cutter.I love it when my friends open their case, and my eyes get a delightful surprise. I say, “Vive le difference!!”. I want the finisher to put a part of him/her in my tool of expression.

I've been looking at getting a 594 and I sometimes really like the McCarty Sunburst color, but other times find it looks completely different depending on the guitar. It's either an orange-ish burst color, or just plain yellow.

For instance, there's this one

And then there's this one:

They are both listed as "McCarty Sunburst" but they are very, very different in color... What's up with this?

While the contrast of these two appears significant, at least part of the variance is due to the hue of the raw maple. A “white” maple will take paint differently than a yellow or darker piece. Look at the difference in color of the natural scraped binding in your two guitar examples.

Here are three examples of maple from my personal stash. Imagine how differently these three will take paint, especially a lighter color:

Last edited:
I have also noticed this variation in color depth--but I have to say, it seems the most drastic on the "McCarty Sunburst" color family in particular. I suppose like 11top said, a big part of it could be how each unique piece of maple takes the stain. It could also be the result of these being hand-crafted, and that every piece will come out with its own personality based on the craftsman's execution on each particular guitar.

I don’t have an answer, at least an authoritative one. @11top has the more likely materials explanation, and it seems as likely to me that PRS is more interested in how well the finish matches the guitar itself than matching them one to another in color. I agree with the OP that the examples he shows are pretty dramatically different.

Back colors can be completely different, guitar to guitar, even with identical tops. I have two black 594s, both with black backs, but I have seen many black ones with various color stained backs, as well.

There are two things here that I am a fan of:

1. A guitar maker that finishes guitars so that my guitar doesn’t look exactly like yours, and;
2. Dealers who show photos of the actual guitar you’re buying, and not some “stock photo” of the model. Sweetwater is among the best at this, always showing multiple views of the guitar. I’m never surprised (in a bad way) when I open a case from them.

I know they're both pictures from Sweetwater, so their methods should be the same from guitar to guitar, but lighting techniques can make a huge impact. Take a look at this finish outside, with some sun. Looks kind of orange.

ATx31wt.jpg

Here's what it actually looks like in the basement (the one on the left).

V4qi5QX.jpg

Depends what time of day it was finished, duh. Sun moves across the sky and bursts differently.
Lol!

But yeah, the nature of the specific guitar's wood, the stainer's and sprayer's techniques, and a possible mis-statement of the intended stain color vs what was actually done.

My Burnt Maple Leaf SSH looks very different from many others I had seen previously, to the point that I hadn't even "liked" that finish color until I saw the guitar that I ended up buying at Exp 2018.

My SSH:
leNf3Oc.jpg

What I had previously thought was typical (random interwebz image):
DSC00981_4472x2982.jpg

This color does vary a lot from guitar to guitar. TigerEye and FBJ have have the same issue. It’s not photography lighting or incorrect naming, it’s just a thing with those colors. FWIW I’ve owned around a dozen guitars with a McCarty Sunburst finish, including an early ‘94 and they’ve all been a little different. I’m with @11top on this and believe it’s likely due to the individual wood’s ability to accept the stain.

While the contrast of these two appears significant, at least part of the variance is due to the hue of the raw maple. A “white” maple will take paint differently than a yellow or darker piece. Look at the difference in color of the natural scraped binding in these two examples.

Here are three examples of maple from my personal stash. Imagine how differently these three will take paint, especially a lighter color:

Damn, that's a spectacular stash!

As 11Top points out, different wood takes stains differently. Also, the stains are hand-applied, by actual people. So there's that variation as well.

Folks say they want hand made goods, yet when they get them, they want everything to be identical, which honestly is a contradiction in terms. One of my favorite things about the way a PRS is made, and looks, is that no two are identical. Shouldn't it be that way?

Back