Why no love for the Phase I winged tuners?

On second thought, I have 11s on my SE One with wings from the '90s, so I'm not sure what the answer is. It would be nice if their gear ratio was a little different to make the button easier to turn and more gradual. Otherwise, it's one of the PRS innovations that brought me here years ago.

I'm one of those that dislikes winged tuners. I gave two sets of them away. Phase 2s work best for me.
And if I ever decide to part with mine, I'll pass them on to another forum member. They are proudly used on my SE One and look b!tchin'!

10-46's have always worked for me. I love them, but have a hard time getting the Christmas tree look from the high E. Have to pull pretty tight on the string to get it up to pitch without going past the optimum "tree" point.

I was lured into thinking these are the best tuners in the world until I changed strings for the first time and was like, Wilson, Ted, Frank. I figured it out and now it is easy peasy and they work great. Align the channel in the post, turn it until you feel the grab and lock it down. Done. Once I figured how to balance the bridge and and set the intonation, they were rock solid.

One question I have is that when I bought the CE22, the strings went around the post once. Any benefit there?

I'm one of those that dislikes winged tuners. I gave two sets of them away. Phase 2s work best for me.
I was lured into thinking these are the best tuners in the world until I changed strings for the first time and was like, Wilson, Ted, Frank. I figured it out and now it is easy peasy and they work great. Align the channel in the post, turn it until you feel the grab and lock it down. Done. Once I figured how to balance the bridge and and set the intonation, they were rock solid.

One question I have is that when I bought the CE22, the strings went around the post once. Any benefit there?
It's actually a deficit. Counterintuitive to the design.

When I bought my CE-24 (used), I noticed the guy had several wraps around each tuning post. I thought possibly the winged tuners had started slipping, or for some reason didn't work. Anyway, I changed strings as soon as I got it home, and sure enough the winged tuners worked perfectly. I guess the guy who owned it before me had no idea how to use the tuners. Anyway, I've had several PRS with winged tuners, and I love them. Once you understand how they work, they make string changes a breeze. And the tuning stability is great. I do agree that they are a little touchy to tune because of the ratio, but not bad. Way better than tuning my mandolin. And yes, winged tuners look awesome!

I don't find string changes all that easy although it would probably help if I was looking down from the headstock while I did it. The way my work bench is set up makes that hard to do.

Back