I bought some used Phase 1 locking tuners and can't use them...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Should have looked more closely. The mounting screw goes through a little foot on the bottom like this:

Whereas I need it come out the side, like this:

I bought them for my '97 CE22 and don't want any extra screw holes in the back of the peghead.

I stupidly thought all Phase 1 tuners mounted in the same way.

Anybody want to trade?

Aww bummer!

Yeah, there were actually three different types of “Phase I” tuners. So look carefully when buying ’em.
These came in a box labeled John Mann.

Is there a chance these were later tuners modified by John to turn them into locking Phase 1 tuners?

These came in a box labeled John Mann.

Is there a chance these were later tuners modified by John to turn them into locking Phase 1 tuners?
No, they’re just the third and final version of wings made by Gotoh.

The modified ones John offers are mutilated into Phase II tuners.

I know they’re not the ones you want, but they’re lighter, which Paul considered an improvement.

I know they’re not the ones you want, but they’re lighter, which Paul considered an improvement.
I bought them on eBay and have asked if I can return them. I haven't left feedback yet. That might help.

There are only 2 versions of Phase I tuners. Both are mfg by Schaller.
Original Phase I are M6 tuners. These are the larger style, which had the shared D-G mounting screw.
Low Mass Phase I tuners are M6 Minis, which do not have the shared D-G mounting screw.

I offer original rebuilt Phase I tuners and also new Schaller tuners that are modified to operate like Phase II tuners, which use the locking thumbscrew.

There are only 2 versions of Phase I tuners. Both are mfg by Schaller.
Original Phase I are M6 tuners. These are the larger style, which had the shared D-G mounting screw.
Low Mass Phase I tuners are M6 Minis, which do not have the shared D-G mounting screw.

I offer original rebuilt Phase I tuners and also new Schaller tuners that are modified to operate like Phase II tuners, which use the locking thumbscrew.

Phase I
1)

2)

3)

1)detune string

2) release cam

3)remove string

4)install new string and lock cam

5) tune up and stretch
If only it was that easy...

What is the starting position for the tuners?

On the bass side, which direction do you tighten the cam? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Same question for the treble side.

Why do mine just keep slipping before they finally grab the string?

I wonder if someone removed the cams and put them on wrong?

Cams for the right side on the left side or something.

If only it was that easy...

What is the starting position for the tuners?

On the bass side, which direction do you tighten the cam? Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Same question for the treble side.

Why do mine just keep slipping before they finally grab the string?

I wonder if someone removed the cams and put them on wrong?

Cams for the right side on the left side or something.
Uhhh… the starting position should be where you have an even trough/line/path through the cam/wing and it’s lined up straight with the nut slots.

This is the completely “open” position for the cam and the post.

The strings will slip (on a 100% functioning tuner) until the post spins around enough to get to the open position, and will then “catch” and practically lock itself from tuning up.

If you disassemble the tuner and look at the post you’ll see how the “trough” looks without the wind/cam on

The thing is, once you get it in position, the next string change will be correctly lined up by simply de-tuning the tuner a bit, and makes it easy.

Bass side: clockwise to tighten, counter to unlock.

Treble side: flipped

Back