Which PRS guitars are the most similar to a Les Paul

So... popular theory seems to be that the limited run of DC 22 guitars through Musicians Friend was aimed pretty squarely at those who were looking for a quality LP surrogate that had great features but wasn't in ridiculous price territory. I'm not even sure if this is accurate (?); however, if it is, then yes the Santana family of guitars deserves to be included here.
My former DC22 with Lust For Tone pickups really sounded similar to my R7, but I didn't get along well with the ergonomics. I had a Ted McCarty DC and an SC that sounded very Les Paul-ish too.

While my 594 DC is a beautiful, well made guitar it simply cannot reproduce the raw tones either of my two Les Pauls can. It has that PRS family "politeness" going on...and luckily i wasn't expecting the guitars to sound the same.

Folk can say some PRS are in the "ballpark" but tbh, it is in the same ballpark as any number of other 2 HB, mahogany body maple cap 24.75" scale set neck guitars are. Not really that close...ballpark.

At the end of the day if you are after a Les Paul tone, then a Les Paul is the guitar for you. No bad thing as a lot of folk did really well with an LP..lol.

Back