Which Mira should I get?

Which Mira?

• Road worn core

Votes: 12 66.7%
  • Semi hollow S2 in a bangin’ color

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
I had an '08 Core Mira. They're great guitars, Vaughn.

But...you did post this very important consideration:

"I’ve wanted a semi hollow for awhile..."

As we would no doubt agree, the semi-hollow flavor is a nice alternative to a solid body tone, and I believe that you'll notice more of a difference between a semi-hollow and your other guitars, than a 24 fret solid body guitar and your other guitars.

If I didn't have a Semi-Hollow Special, I'd pick the SH S2 over the Core. Having the Special, I'd pick the Core over the S2.

Moreover, putting some new Core (or perhaps custom wound) pickups in the S2 might make it sound even better than the stock S2 OR the Core. So there are good reasons to go that way.

Bottom line: Given your objective, I'd probably pick the S2 over the Core.

I was also blown away with the S2's fit & finish when we were all at the factory back in '15 for that 30th Anniversary event. I handled a gold one that was so delightful I kinda wanted to buy it right then and there, but it wasn't for sale at the time.

All of this aside, I have no idea what PRS was thinking with the design of either Mira's pick guard. If memory serves, it was one of the last designs that Joe Knaggs came up with while he was still at PRS, with the bevel and pick guard, etc.

Joe Knaggs makes an awesome buncha guitar's no doubt about it, but for my taste, Paul Smith is more of an artist when it comes to the details of design. Notice that I said, 'for my taste', clearly indicating that no one in the entire universe - OK, let's extend it to the multiverse - NO one anywhere is obligated to agree with me in any way, shape or form.

The usual disclaimer applies. Don't make me type it.

There, I said it.

Last edited:
Hope the big G is ok
He’s getting up there. Arthritis getting worse. Having a harder time getting around. Some days he wants to walk long walks. Others he has a hard time with steps and barely wants to go out. Been giving him rub downs and tried some glucosamine food and treats but he hated the food. Like the jerky treats but throws up. Gotta get him in and see if they have any other ideas.:(

As we would no doubt agree, the semi-hollow flavor is a nice alternative to a solid body tone, and I believe that you'll notice more of a difference between a semi-hollow and your other guitars, than a 24 fret solid body guitar and your other guitars.

If I didn't have a Semi-Hollow Special, I'd pick the SH S2 over the Core. Having the Special, I'd pick the Core over the S2.

Moreover, putting some new Core (or perhaps custom wound) pickups in the S2 might make it sound even better than the stock S2 OR the Core. So there are good reasons to go that way.

I was also blown away with the S2's fit & finish when we were all at the factory back in '15 for that 30th Anniversary event. I handled a gold one that was so delightful I kinda wanted to buy it right then and there, but it wasn't for sale at the time.

All of this aside, I have no idea what PRS was thinking with the design of either Mira's pick guard. If memory serves, it was one of the last designs that Joe Knaggs came up with while he was still at PRS, with the bevel and pick guard, etc.

Joe Knaggs makes an awesome buncha guitar's no doubt about it, but for my taste, Paul Smith is more of an artist when it comes to the details of design. Notice that I said, 'for my taste', clearly indicating that no one in the entire universe - OK, let's extend it to the multiverse - NO one anywhere is obligated to agree with me in any way, shape or form.

There, I said it.
Some great points Les. I agree that I might hear a bigger difference with the semi hollow. Then I think to myself, do I need another freaking guitar? Really? I’m at a weird crossroads right now.

He’s getting up there. Arthritis getting worse. Having a harder time getting around. Some days he wants to walk long walks. Others he has a hard time with steps and barely wants to go out. Been giving him rub downs and tried some glucosamine food and treats but he hated the food. Like the jerky treats but throws up. Gotta get him in and see if they have any other ideas.:(
I feel that. Ours is 13 or 14 (a rescue, so not really sure). She needs help down the steps every day due to her eyesight getting worse. She's ok going upstairs, but appreciates a boost. Same thing on the walks. Some days longer, some days shorter. She's been a little "different" since we lost her "brother" 2.5 years ago. Hoping for the best.

There, I said it.
Oh, I’m obligated.

Some great points Les. I agree that I might hear a bigger difference with the semi hollow. Then I think to myself, do I need another freaking guitar? Really? I’m at a weird crossroads right now.
Not to quote @11top but; what’s need got to do with it?

Back