Where are you?

My Dad graduated from Derby HS a long time ago. Wakelee Avenue is named for his ancestors. I always thought Naugatuck was the armpit as the smell was so bad, it made me sick to my stomach whenever we drove through.

Agreed, Naugatuck is a most stinky place.

I recall driving to NYC a few times and thinking, "Why does the city smell so bad?" Turns out there were several landfills along the route that disposed of common waste and junk people would discard each day.

Both Bridgeport and Naugatuck are on par with armpit status. I'd say, both right and left armpit, to be exact.

I've heard of Wakelee Avenue in the news not too recently. Might have been when the news was reporting about recent protests. Wakelee Avenue was mentioned.

Is Wakelee Avenue a reason for your screen name? Your Dad's ancestors?

Agreed, Naugatuck is a most stinky place.

I recall driving to NYC a few times and thinking, "Why does the city smell so bad?" Turns out there were several landfills along the route that disposed of common waste and junk people would discard each day.

Both Bridgeport and Naugatuck are on par with armpit status. I'd say, both right and left armpit, to be exact.

I've heard of Wakelee Avenue in the news not too recently. Might have been when the news was reporting about recent protests. Wakelee Avenue was mentioned.

Is Wakelee Avenue a reason for your screen name? Your Dad's ancestors?
At one time the Wakelee Family owned the west half of the Naugatuck/Housatonic Valley and the Anson Family owned the East half. Legend has it that my family were a branded as horse thieves and run out of the valley, the remaining settlement was named Ansonia there after. It was later discovered that we were not horse thieves, so as an act of concession, they named old route 8 after us. The family was very affluent right up to the Depression, after that things kind of went down hill. Curiously enough, the first Wakelee to settle in CT was accused of being a witch. but died before they could have a trial and float him like a duck or whatever they did back them.

Wakester was a nickname given to me when I was active duty Navy, and it just stuck with me.

I have moved from NC back to WV where I was born. Net a wonderful woman and we are getting married in November!
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. I like being married.

To the OP - between San Francisco and Sacramento in the town that smelled like cooking onions about 50 years ago, and used to/didn’t/does have the Nut Tree.

Back