When you go Out to practice w Others--What do you take?

Rockmark

For instance I'll be playing w at least 3 other guitarists tomorrow. I'm taking an ME1 and a SS. These will meet my sound needs for the afternoon and evening session. I just take a watt switchable (8/22/50) small head and use the cabs there. I bring a board since it has my delay, and other stuff I want and is pretty easily transported. I always have my multi extension cord and little portable lamp that sits in my spot. A handful of picks and extra tuner always since everyone forgets theirs. An 8in/8w. Orange speaker into the same head and I switch right over to my harp hand mic quickly. I always bring a PRS cord since I am wireless and if something happens I need to be ready.
What do you take out of the house for practice/sessions?

Last edited:
I have a trusty Epiphone LP standard that is fairly woody sounding. Wouldn’t tune well so I changed the nut. The stock pickups were horribly insensitive things, missing the wood for the trees so to speak, so I fit in good quality sensitive pickups (Gibson Custom Buckers salvaged from an R9). Now it’s a very decent jamming guitar and my number one workhorse!

I wing it and ding it with abandon.

I have a trusty Epiphone LP standard that is fairly woody sounding. Wouldn’t tune well so I changed the nut. The stock pickups were horribly insensitive things, missing the wood for the trees so to speak, so I fit in good quality sensitive pickups (Gibson Custom Buckers salvaged from an R9). Now it’s a very decent jamming guitar and my number one workhorse!

I wing it and ding it with abandon.

No go out w PRS? :(

No go out w PRS? :(
For recording certainly yes! :)

For jamming occasionally I’d bring this ZM out for the great tone, but it doesn’t hold tune very well and I’ve yet to replace the nut.
YtND096.jpg

I take the guitar/amp setup that fits the gig/session best. I have no problem using my core PRS guitars at all, I bought them to play them. I've been one who's taken care of gear well, so i have my habits that keep the guitars safe.

Rockmark, you had me at "I'm taking an ME1 and an SS". Got yer bases covered!

Haven't played out with other humans in ages. But about 15 years ago when I lit out with a car full of gear for the first rehearsal with my soon-to-be next (and last) band, I'd thrown this and that into the car with the idea that I'd have all contingencies covered*.

On the drive there the idle thought of "I wonder how much money is in the car with me?" took over, and I started adding things up.. when the sum crossed five figures, I figured I just needed to stop. Terrifying how easily that happens. Especially when you think back on being young and broke and how hard it was to scrape the first good-sounding rig together.

(*) I'm pretty sure I had 50 if not 125 watts with me, and at least 72" of speaker. Plus rackmount effects and maybe a Pod in case other things crapped out on me.

My default for rehearsal is pretty much always my CE24 and Friedman mini dirty Shirley. For shows it’s usually the CE24 and Les Paul. I should really use my CU24 more but I’m always paranoid bringing it to gigs.

I do my practicing at home. Thru an old Yamaha THR five that has one setting that sounds incredible.

I play in a band (same band, 25 years) and a duo. When we show up, everyone has practiced their parts at home to have them down. For band rehearsal, I play thru a small pedalboard and a Gries 12. For duo rehearsals and gigs, I use a Swart STR Tremelo.

It’s funny, now that I think about it, I never bring the PRS guitars to rehearsal. But they go to gigs.

Reclaimed CE24, Boss Katana 100 w/footswitch, Boss WL-50 wireless, iPad.

If I'm jamming after work at a space with amps, the Katana is replaced with a mini pedalboard with Joyo OD, distortion, and phaser.

P245, Anderson Mongrel
Axe fx for gigging
Friedman smallbox combo and pedalboard for jams

I gigged/rehearsed with my Archon for a long time and it killed

I usually don't have a lot of buddies to practice with, but for open-mic gigs, the drill is the same...1 PRS S2 SC, FX board, Brunetti 35W Singleman 1x12 Combo, PRS Accessory Kit Bag (which contains all my accessory needs, including extra strings, cables, tubes, connectors, iKlip iPhone holder, tuner, surge protector strip, cable tester, guitar maintenance tools, etc), and Rock n' Roller cart.

The Rock 'n Roller cart makes it easy to port the amp, tool kit bag and FX board into a gig. I'd never personally gig without it.

The alternative for an acoustic session is my Yamaha AC3R, Hard Bag & my PRS Kit Bag.

What are we playin’?

If it’s purely a jam, I’ll take anything the others won’t have...a Vela, a Cabronita w/ TV Joneses, maybe a CU24 or an SE245. But if I’m going with only A game and the place is big enough, it’ll be Mr. Clean (DGT Std) with the pedalboard of Mordor and the Super Dallas. That turns heads...even the most picky (have you met you guys? Talk about a tough crowd).

Back