What do you take to make your PRS sing!?

Maxime,

With Axe III-Edit, under Tools, locate 'Preset Leveling.' Click on that, and a new screen will open that offers amp level, and output level, for outputs 1 and 2.

If tinnitus is bothering you, try setting your preset levels to 0 dB output so that you have 'unity gain' across your presets. You might need to adjust your amp level for each scene if you're working with channels A thru D for amps, and use one output level setting for each preset.

Setting everything to unity gain will help mitigate transient spikes that could be harmful to your hearing. Much like a compressor does, setting unity gain will help with transients, and reduce the possibility of too low or loud volumes.

That being said, on clean amps, you'll want a compressor to provide more consistent playing volumes.

I found that you can then increase/decrease your FRFR volumes to taste without blowing out the neighbor's cat or dog. These are more important, because you can apologize to your neighbors, but you can't make up for the incessant meowingly or howling that will occur if the pets are irritated.

Last edited:
Maxime,

With Axe III-Edit, under Tools, locate 'Preset Leveling.' Click on that, and a new screen will open that offers master volume, and level, for outputs 1 and 2.

If tinnitus is bothering you, try setting your preset levels to 0 dB output so that you have 'unity gain' across your presets. You might need to adjust your master volume for each scene if you're working with channels A thru D for amps, and use one level setting for each preset.

Setting everything to unity gain will help mitigate transient spikes that could be harmful to your hearing. Much like a compressor does, setting unity gain will help with transients, and reduce the possibility of too low or loud volumes.

That being said, on clean amps, you'll want a compressor to provide more consistent playing volumes.

I found that you can then increase/decrease your FRFR volumes to taste without blowing out the neighbor's cat or dog. These are more important, because you can apologize to your neighbors, but you can't make up for the incessant meowingly or howling that will occur if the pets are irritated.
Thanks for the info, tonight I'm installing the latest available 19.06 update, can't wait to work with the song lists!

I am in the infant stage of enjoying my Axe FXIII! Just got it in Dec '21 and LOVE it!! I play through either my AKG 712 Pro's, Westone UM50 Pro's or JBL IRX108 PA speakers!!! With minor adjustments, all sound great, but looking forward to getting a pair of "proper" FRFR's. I would really like some CLR's, but as many know, they are hard to get at the moment! Nobody will ship me the Headrush 112's at a reasonable cost, so I may have to settle for the 108's, but I question if they are going to be a real improvement over my JBL 8" PA speakers. Probably going to hold out for a pair of CLR's, I am on the waiting list for availability! Between the 3 PRSi and the Axe FXIII all purchased in 2021, I am happier than a hippie at Woodstock! I could not imagine it getting any better, except of course, having a real speaker response that can ruffle the bell bottoms at the right volume!

I am in the infant stage of enjoying my Axe FXIII! Just got it in Dec '21 and LOVE it!! I play through either my AKG 712 Pro's, Westone UM50 Pro's or JBL IRX108 PA speakers!!! With minor adjustments, all sound great, but looking forward to getting a pair of "proper" FRFR's. I would really like some CLR's, but as many know, they are hard to get at the moment! Nobody will ship me the Headrush 112's at a reasonable cost, so I may have to settle for the 108's, but I question if they are going to be a real improvement over my JBL 8" PA speakers. Probably going to hold out for a pair of CLR's, I am on the waiting list for availability! Between the 3 PRSi and the Axe FXIII all purchased in 2021, I am happier than a hippie at Woodstock! I could not imagine it getting any better, except of course, having a real speaker response that can ruffle the bell bottoms at the right volume!

MDW,

GC ship to store might be the ticket...

Also, MusicStoreLive has free shipping, plus, if you chat with a sales rep, they might be able to get you a better deal...

I am at the end of the first year with, I am at the stage, diaper and bottle! this year I plan to switch to pull-ups..
always happy to have taken the plunge.
Capable without too much difficulty in using it, everything sounds good but I admit that I'm still a big noodle on the advanced settings.. impedance curves, triodes, transformer inversion etc... you know, I turn the knobs and ok I play!

I also looked at the Atomic but they are rare!! I currently use two Fender fighter 10 "that I already had, really not the best but it suits me for now.
As I told you before, everything sounds good with a PRS my friend!:D

I am at the end of the first year with, I am at the stage, diaper and bottle! this year I plan to switch to pull-ups..
always happy to have taken the plunge.
Capable without too much difficulty in using it, everything sounds good but I admit that I'm still a big noodle on the advanced settings.. impedance curves, triodes, transformer inversion etc... you know, I turn the knobs and ok I play!

I also looked at the Atomic but they are rare!! I currently use two Fender fighter 10 "that I already had, really not the best but it suits me for now.
As I told you before, everything sounds good with a PRS my friend!:D
I did the Cooper Carter Master Course on the Axe, and one of the best things I learned there was using Cab A all panned to one side and Cab B all panned to the other side! After about an hour of trying out different cabs individually, I came up with a pair (2x12 Jazz 120 160A on Left and 4x12 TV RNR B Rev on the RIght) that I really like, but there were dozens that sounded great!! I guess that is because I was feeding them with a PRS!!!! Did the same thing with my EBMM Stingray on the cabs (different cabs of course) for my bass presets, and even though it was not a PRS feeding them, still sound great! Go figure!!! Enjoy your bottle and change diaper regularly (until you switch to sippy cup and pull ups)! 19.06 is great and I love the set list feature!

Lately, I’m only gigging with Clarence “the bluesman”Turner. It’s a custom built Fender 49 Tweed Pro clone with 2-12” Jensen C12Q speakers. They handle 35 watts each, and the amp only puts out 22 watts. I can’t get the volume past 2.5 in even a medium size club. This amp REALLY sings with an EHX Soul Food, for some reason. It doesn’t like any other drive pedals, except a Rte 66 overdrive. The Rte 66 is on a pedalboard. A lot of the time, stage space sucks, so it’s just the soul food and the tweed that only has a volume, and a tone for two of the four inputs. The bass player is 6’9” and needs double the space of any other bass player I ever played with.

Last edited:
I'm still really happy with my Bad Cat Cougar 15. But the secret to my sound is a Zoom G2. I started using them over 15 years ago, because I didn't like the sound of provided back lines (Twin Reverbs). It has the best sounding (and quietest) Tape echo and Delay that I've ever used. I can also add very small amounts of Chorus, that is really subtle.

I’m a double agent… tubes and digital both suit me with my PRS guitars. My tube amps are from PRS, Boogie (‘cause that’s what they were called when I started using them, whippersnapper!), Fender, and Vox; glowing glass is magic. But the Fractal Audio Axe Fx III Turbo and RJM MMGT/22 is a modern wonder combination that is hard to match. I could be just fine with either, but I really enjoy both.

I’m a double agent… tubes and digital both suit me with my PRS guitars. My tube amps are from PRS, Boogie (‘cause that’s what they were called when I started using them, whippersnapper!), Fender, and Vox; glowing glass is magic. But the Fractal Audio Axe Fx III Turbo and RJM MMGT/22 is a modern wonder combination that is hard to match. I could be just fine with either, but I really enjoy both.
Of course Rick!
I wouldn't do without my AXE FX3, even if my tubes heat up less, it's still essential for my well-being!

Fairly recent convert to kemper myself. Couldn't be happier and wonder why I didn't do this years ago.

Screenshot_20211017-192423_Galleryaf396f5a215b6cd0.jpg
Me too , it absolutely lets these guitars shine

Back