What's a Guitar to You???

While I haven’t even listed the many things it is too me, those of you who follow me on Instagram will know that last night was another one of those things. My grandson was already here when I got home from work last night as they’re in for the holiday. As soon as I walk in the door, he says “hey Pops, can we play guitar?” I said of course we could, but everyone was waiting for me to make coffee. I told him as soon as I made coffee for everyone and drank mine, we’d play.

He asked me 5 times while I was drinking my coffee “Pops, can we go play guitar now?” “Pops, can you please drink your coffee faster so we can play guitar?” We were back there for 30 minutes or so, jamming and making videos for a few people that are sick. Then had fun making a couple videos for Instagram.

This morning, he came in and climbed in bed to wake me up and said “Pops, when you get awake can we play guitar?”

So yeah, that’s another thing guitar is too me.

While I haven’t even listed the many things it is too me, those of you who follow me on Instagram will know that last night was another one of those things. My grandson was already here when I got home from work last night as they’re in for the holiday. As soon as I walk in the door, he says “hey Pops, can we play guitar?” I said of course we could, but everyone was waiting for me to make coffee. I told him as soon as I made coffee for everyone and drank mine, we’d play.

He asked me 5 times while I was drinking my coffee “Pops, can we go play guitar now?” “Pops, can you please drink your coffee faster so we can play guitar?” We were back there for 30 minutes or so, jamming and making videos for a few people that are sick. Then had fun making a couple videos for Instagram.

This morning, he came in and climbed in bed to wake me up and said “Pops, when you get awake can we play guitar?”

Aw yeah!

Guitar is what I use to wake my amps up. I have stuff that starts somewhere between my head, hands and ears, and that has to get to the amp/amps I'm currently enjoying: the guitar is a necessary part of that transduction process.

Back when I was younger, guitars seemed like magical, mystical things that could transform my world. These days, I have guitars that work better than others, and they're all very well-sorted instruments; but there's no huge romance involved.... it's much more about practicality than sentiment.

Sure, I'd be very annoyed to have to replace my preferred instruments; but not nearly as annoyed as I would be at having to replace my favourite amps :mad:

For me, piano and synthesis come first, because that's what I use to compose. Guitar is a close second, because that's how I add some spice to my work, though there are times when clients simply want guitar music and I'm happy to oblige. I did some Ford Truck ads that were 100% solo electric guitar through a Tweed style amp; nothing else except sound design. So I never know whether to call guitar a primary instrument or a secondary one, though I'm better on keys than guitar.

Does that mean guitar is secondary? I dunno. I'm not on any synth forums! :oops:

Since this two year old post is getting likes again, I'll update. They were at our house two weeks ago and I was trying to show him how to put his fingers on notes, and how moving the fret played a different note. After a few minutes, I said "Ok now do this" and proceeded to rip for about 30 seconds at full speed." He looks at me very matter of factly and says "I'm not ready to play fast yet, Pops." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But, he did say "yet." ;)

Prior to 20-ish years ago, a guitar was some untouchable implement of fantasy. Something that was reserved for a fortunate few professional players and recording artists and iconic names you heard on the radio and/or saw live on stage. Because I played, a piano had no such mystical aspect to me, so in my rock and roll based world Jackson Browne, Elton John, Billy Joel and Bob Seger (even Liberace) et al were not really super human, just way better than me.
Then one late afternoon I walked into a pawn shop and walked out with a guitar and amp, had never played one, but knew I just had to learn. Wife thought I'd lost my mind...maybe I had. Most men in their 40's had a mid life crisis and bought a Corvette, I already had learned to fly and bought an airplane, and I sure wasn't equating myself to Harry Chapin. So the struggle began and things just developed from there.
Now, it's a step into another world, one where I can be and do whatever I feel like, and play whatever I want (once I learn that particular song) and loose myself in something that is pure and honest. And beyond myself, can also bring a bit of joy to others if I so choose. I don't have to stress over recurrency check rides, annual inspections, s**t weather conditions and alternate airfields, ridiculous insurance rates, and M.O.T. inspectors looking to violate my license.
True, it's not as magical as all that, but it's sort of where I'm at with it. It makes me happy.
And as several have mentioned, there's a group of people that I have become quite fond of that I've never really met...but know there's a kindred spirit in all of us that binds some ties.

I would say "the world can always use another red headed shredder," but after the responses to Les' thread about solos in pop songs, I won't. :p
:p:p
I say yes!

On the other hand, there's a certain comfort in knowing how to play keys and do synthesis.

Incidentally, I'm convinced that musical children would do well to learn to play keys along with any other instrument they choose, not only for the music theory/reading/keyboard skills, but because MIDI operates best with a keyboard. It's increasingly important to be able to use that tool for composition.

Guitars are many things to me! They are memories, they are tools, they are inspiration, they are a release mechanism, some of them are art but most of all they are music machines!! I just don't operate them as much as I should!!! At the moment, my life is pretty hectic (true for many of us) so when I have some free time, I am able to use the guitar to put all of life's other distractions aside for those moments and am not sure how I would/could do that without a guitar!!!! And the icing on the cake for me is, I now own 3 PRSi that have changed my view of guitars for life considering how wonderful they play and sound!!!!! Long live the guitar (with or without solos)!!!!!!

I enjoyed playing yesterday (using Electra-Dyne and Akoya); several guitars were involved, naturally, but not in any exceptionally memorable way. They did their job, working well enough to disappear.

The same goes for the amp: once you've got it set right, be in the moment.

If your stuff does this, you have the right stuff.

Its something to tinker with.
Its something to start a conversation with.
Its something to share with a friend.
It is an old friend.
Its a lot of things to me. But....

It is not a toy
It is not a tool
It is not a wall hanger.

I may not play them everyday, but i do play them, all of them. I learn something new each time I do.
This

Back