What Would Be The Ultimate Guitar Sacrifice(+$$$)To Get What You Really Want?

tabl10s

For me to give up my 408 and ME1, an HBII with a five ply Braz/Perny/Chaltococo neck and carbon rods inside. The top would be from "The Tree" and the back? Dunno.

It would be hardest to sell off my first CE. I'd miss the KL too... Not sure I'd want anybody else to have my Gucci Top or my Louis Vuitton guitars either, there would definitely have to be a vetting process to confirm their new owners Bangin'!-ness levels.

I'd have to dump them all for the korina and spruce semi-hollow Santana I want... Oh, and I'd have to find a pair of tuners and a bridge 'cause I need wings and my 1980 spec Mann trem. I guess I'd have to sell the white case too...

This is depressing. :(

Sergio is right, too depressing. Although, I have a slightly used wife that I could sell.....

Gave up these 3.

Strat I had since I was 18, my 1st PRS, and my 2nd.
DSCN2095_zpsfc6c4c0a.jpg

Looking forward to getting this.

5902%20Body2_zpslzyrxnil.jpg
5902%20Headstock_zpst8ro2wan.jpg

Nice!

Any kids I'd have to put through college? I mean, I've already done that with 3, not sure I have the energy to do that again...
No, no. No kids. We've been married 27 years, so she's got some minor fret wear, and some normal aging. No dings.

Recently sold: gibson les paul classic, fender american vintage strat, gibson L130 acoustic, Taylor solidbody, and Taylor T5. I sold these and used most of the proceeds to purchase my new Hollowbody II wood library.

For me, the 90/10 rule always applies. The 408 I acquired last autumn is a luxury. I gigged just fine for 30+ years on guitars that cost no more than $600. It would be silly to lose three guitars and three basses to get "what I really want". Especially since I've seen guys spend $3K+ on a guitar, only to find that it is not the penultimate axe they imagined it would be.

I guess I see it differently than many folks. Some are in pursuit of that perfect guitar, and will swap five guitars plus a lot of cash for their momentary dream. I get instruments that are useful, and only relinquish them if I find they are not being used and have little prospect of future use in my scenario.

Independent of gizmos, most of your tone is in your fingers. And your brain. Alex Lifeson sounds nothing like Jeff Beck, who sounds nothing like Ritchie Blackmore. Even though all have often plugged a Strat into a Marshall. And in the PRS realm, John McLaughlin sounds nothing like Carlos Santana.... who sounds nothing like Tremonti. Yet McLaughlin sounds like himself, regardless of the guitar he's playing in that moment.

So forgive me, but I find the relentless expensive pursuit of tone silly. If you WANT an expensive guitar and have the means to acquire it, by all means go for it. But mere gratification has limitations, so I personally won't give up crucial utility for mere petty vanity.

So forgive me, but I find the relentless expensive pursuit of tone silly. If you WANT an expensive guitar and have the means to acquire it, by all means go for it. But mere gratification has limitations, so I personally won't give up crucial utility for mere petty vanity.

Oh, but petty vanity and mere gratification can be so much fun!

In all seriousness, if there's one thing I've learned in my ten zillion years on the planet, we all have different ideas, goals, plans, values, interests...we're like snowflakes. No two of us are exactly alike!

That's what makes having friends as we do here, both interesting and fun. To share our ideas, explore the differences, sometimes cajole one another, maybe congratulate one another, to sometimes convince one another, and sometimes to say, "WTF?"

They say life is too short, and I've certainly reached that stage where I say, "Don't I know it!"

So it's OK to explore what's out there. It doesn't always have to be practical. Sometimes having a great piece of gear that you don't truly have a practical need for is the greatest thing in the world. And for someone else, it can be a complete waste.

Of course, if you have three guitars and three basses, you have 5 more guitars and basses than I gigged with from 1967-91. So you've already crossed the line to "more than what's needed." For you, it's just a matter of being critical of those that have the disease worse than you do.

Therefore, on this - hate to say it - the pot's calling the kettle black. ;)

Oh, but petty vanity and mere gratification can be so much fun!

In all seriousness, if there's one thing I've learned in my ten zillion years on the planet, we all have different ideas, goals, plans, values, interests...we're like snowflakes. No two of us are exactly alike!

That's what makes having friends as we do here, both interesting and fun. To share our ideas, explore the differences, sometimes cajole one another, maybe congratulate one another, to sometimes convince one another, and sometimes to say, "WTF?"
Snip
Of course, if you have three guitars and three basses, you have 5 more guitars and basses than I gigged with from 1967-91. So you've already crossed the line to "more than what's needed." For you, it's just a matter of being critical of those that have the disease worse than you do.

Therefore, on this - hate to say it - the pot's calling the kettle black. ;)
No! No! Well, maybe a little. :)

I had two guitars because onstage you need a backup. And aside from that I had one classical guitar and one bass. Now I have a full studio.... aside from the three Stratocasters, no other instrument is duplicated. The Rogue sitar-guitar with symp strings, for example, makes sounds unlike any other guitar I own. It exists in my studio because a few years ago my band was playing Close To The Edge and Steely Dan's Do It Again. I have a flute so we can play some Jethro Tull and other stuff that has flute. I have congas and bongos because I used to gig as a percussionist too....

So most of my stuff is utilitarian. Until the 408 of course. That was pure vanity lol

I gave up two high end Lester's' for my first Private Stock last March, then a high end acoustic and custom Shop strat for my second Private Stock in Dec. I can honestly say it was well worth it and no regrets.

Back