What will an ME V do for me that my other PRSi won’t?

dilznik

This might seem like a roundabout way of seeking your enablement. You wouldn’t be wrong, probably.

So I’m wondering what the ME V covers that can’t be covered by what I have:
Old style CE24 x3. One with HFS/VB. One with RP/VB. One with a piezo and Fishman Fluence Classics. Considering pulling the Fishmans. I have an Artist treble and maybe something else to put in there.
Swamp Ash Special, the 3 way toggle version.
594 HB II
35th CU24
Studio (current version)
CU24 semi hollow with 58/15LT

What does the ME V do that these others don’t? Specifically, an ME V with swamp ash body and maple neck?

Here's my thinking:

It's not a matter of what sonic territory a guitar may or may not cover. Most guitars can get plenty of tones, and you have a couple of 3-pickup PRS Guitars.

However, a new guitar can inspire you in different ways from your other guitars.

Consider yourself enabled. ;)

I don't own an ME-V, but the way I understand it, you will have several of those guitars in your hands at once with an ME-V. So with your collection, it may not offer anything new, but would offer not having to switch guitars to get most of the tones you already have. Once again, that is my understanding, others certainly have more real world experience that is probably more valuable ;~))

The ME-V is a jack of of all trades and a master of none. I had an Experience 2020 model and found that it was very underwhelming once the honeymoon wore off. The strat tones were there, but to get it right I had to adjust pickup heights. Then my preferred humbucker tones were screwed up. The middle single coil was sort of useless by itself, compared to other singles PRS has used in the past. All three pickups together never sounded right, either.

In the end, getting "easy" access to all 32 tones (mine had the 250/500 switch) was impossible. There was too much endless tweaking for me.

I would save your 5k and put it somewhere else.

The ME-V is a jack of of all trades and a master of none. I had an Experience 2020 model and found that it was very underwhelming once the honeymoon wore off. The strat tones were there, but to get it right I had to adjust pickup heights. Then my preferred humbucker tones were screwed up. The middle single coil was sort of useless by itself, compared to other singles PRS has used in the past. All three pickups together never sounded right, either.

In the end, getting "easy" access to all 32 tones (mine had the 250/500 switch) was impossible. There was too much endless tweaking for me.

I would save your 5k and put it somewhere else.
I'll be the diavolo avrogadro here, and offer a different opinion. No two of us are alike! That's why making a decision whether to buy or not buy an instrument based on opinions gleaned from enthusiast forums is never a great idea. So don't take my word for it, either. Go play one.

I have a PRS that's very similar to the ME V, the 2016 20th Anniversary of Private Stock Limited.

Like the ME V, it has the narrow 408 pickups, but instead of a single coil in the middle, has a Narrowfield 57/08 in the middle. Unfortunately mine has fewer switching options than the ME V, but the sound is very close (other minor differences are that the mahogany on the body is a tad thicker, and the fretboard is Madagascar rosewood instead of whatever's on the ME V).

I've lived with my guitar for 7 years, and have several other wonderful PRSes. I've logged a lot of hours with this one, and have played it on a good number of national TV ad tracks in several styles, as well as for my own projects. As with all of my instruments, if I can't make a buck with it, or only rarely use it, any guitar is outta here no matter how cool it looks or is in theory.

It's the most beautiful sounding electric guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of PRS guitars. The pickups have tremendous beauty and clarity, and the switching positions are useful. But it ain't gonna cop grandpa's classic 1950s guitar tones (I say this as an actual, bona fide grandpa).

I've never had to tweak it.

But whether one loves a guitar so often depends what a player is going after. It sounds like itself, not like a standard humbucker model, and not like a Strat, though I use it where others might use either of those. If you want a more traditional humbucker or Strat sound, get a traditional humbucker guitar or Strat.

I'd guess there's a reason that the PS Signature Limited guitar that John McLaughlin plays (the skyline inlay guitar) has 408 pickups. He doesn't want to cop someone else's tone, he likes something different.

If you want something that blazes its own trail, the ME V is an excellent choice. Just my two cents. But there is no substitute for getting your hands on one and deciding whether it's for you.

Here's mine, you can see it's very similar to the ME V:

DR3O7Yg.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be the diavolo avrogadro here, and offer a different opinion. No two of us are alike! That's why making a decision whether to buy or not buy an instrument based on opinions gleaned from enthusiast forums is never a great idea. So don't take my word for it, either. Go play one.

I have a PRS that's very similar to the ME V, the 2016 20th Anniversary of Private Stock Limited.

Like the ME V, it has the narrow 408 pickups, but instead of a single coil in the middle, has a Narrowfield 57/08 in the middle. Unfortunately mine has fewer switching options than the ME V, but the sound is very close (other minor differences are that the mahogany on the body is a tad thicker, and the fretboard is Madagascar rosewood instead of whatever's on the ME V).

I've lived with my guitar for 7 years, and have several other wonderful PRSes. I've logged a lot of hours with this one, and have played it on a good number of national TV ad tracks in several styles, as well as for my own projects. As with all of my instruments, if I can't make a buck with it, or only rarely use it, any guitar is outta here no matter how cool it looks or is in theory.

It's the most beautiful sounding electric guitar I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of PRS guitars. The pickups have tremendous beauty and clarity, and the switching positions are useful. But it ain't gonna cop grandpa's classic 1950s guitar tones (I say this as an actual, bona fide grandpa).

I've never had to tweak it.

But whether one loves a guitar so often depends what a player is going after. It sounds like itself, not like a standard humbucker model, and not like a Strat, though I use it where others might use either of those. If you want a more traditional humbucker or Strat sound, get a traditional humbucker guitar or Strat.

I'd guess there's a reason that the PS Signature Limited guitar that John McLaughlin plays (the skyline inlay guitar) has 408 pickups. He doesn't want to cop someone else's tone, he likes something different.

If you want something that blazes its own trail, the ME V is an excellent choice. Just my two cents. But there is no substitute for getting your hands on one and deciding whether it's for you.

Here's mine, you can see it's very similar to the ME V:

DR3O7Yg.jpg

Totally agree. In the end I just realized the guitar didn't give me what I want. Having had two Paul's Guitars with trems and a Brent Mason I was expecting the ME-V to fall in that niche. Maybe it didn't last because I had expectations of it. Who knows...

You've already got the Swiss army knife PRS in the swamp ash special. Many of your units have trems. You may in fact get a lot more from a Paul's guitar with the same humbuckers as the MEV and the ability to change your tunings as you see fit since it's a hardtail, it's beauty also lies in its simplicity. The sounds the pickups produce are quite special I'm not going to lie. That may be more "justifiable" than a guitar (MEV) that's more similar to what you've already got.

Totally agree. In the end I just realized the guitar didn't give me what I want. Having had two Paul's Guitars with trems and a Brent Mason I was expecting the ME-V to fall in that niche. Maybe it didn't last because I had expectations of it. Who knows...
You just never know with this stuff!

Gotta play 'em - sometimes for a few days or more - to really get their gestalt.

You've already got the Swiss army knife PRS in the swamp ash special. Many of your units have trems. You may in fact get a lot more from a Paul's guitar with the same humbuckers as the MEV and the ability to change your tunings as you see fit since it's a hardtail, it's beauty also lies in its simplicity. The sounds the pickups produce are quite special I'm not going to lie. That may be more "justifiable" than a guitar (MEV) that's more similar to what you've already got.
These are good pros and cons to think about.

For me, the idea that a guitar is all things to all players - the proverbial Swiss Army knife - is kind of a misnomer. I had a nice SAS and more recently, a lovely Special Semi-Hollow. Great guitars for most players, but I didn't keep them.

On the other hand, the PS 20 pictured above is a lifetime keeper. Why? It's got some magic-mojo-vibeysecret-sauce in its agglomeration of wood, metal and wire. It's got "the tone."

Can it be explained? Doubtful.

My takeaway from all my years of guitar life is it's not really about the configuration; it's not about whether it captures this or that classic tone. Plenty of guitars do all that stuff.

It's really about the individual guitar, and how you respond to it. I've got some I'll never part with, not because they do what I thought I might have wanted them to do, but because they seemed magical when I played them, so I bought them regardless of my preconceived ideas. My 30th CU24 PS is one of them. I was NOT looking for a CU24 when I stumbled onto it. But once I heard it, OMG. Had to have it.

By the way, archaeologists have found ancient Roman folding pocket knives, some with Swiss Army knife style tools as part of the design.

Everything old is new.

Last edited:
You've already got the Swiss army knife PRS in the swamp ash special.
Funny story: I hate it. I've put so many different pickups in it and it just did nothing for me. Currently, it had an SD JB in the bridge, Railhammer P90 neck, and Fralin Blues Special middle. There's a Sweet Switch instead of a tone knob. There's a push/pull linear taper volume knob. And different switching to stock. Nothing helps. I actually had a guy in a band about 15 years ago say (when it had the stock McCarty's) "you should sell that, it sucks." And I agree. I've spent 20 years alternating between trying to make it work and having it hang on a wall.
Point is, I'd trade it for an ME V if I find I like them.

Funny story: I hate it. I've put so many different pickups in it and it just did nothing for me. Currently, it had an SD JB in the bridge, Railhammer P90 neck, and Fralin Blues Special middle. There's a Sweet Switch instead of a tone knob. There's a push/pull linear taper volume knob. And different switching to stock. Nothing helps. I actually had a guy in a band about 15 years ago say (when it had the stock McCarty's) "you should sell that, it sucks." And I agree. I've spent 20 years alternating between trying to make it work and having it hang on a wall.
Point is, I'd trade it for an ME V if I find I like them.
Here's my thinking:

One of your initial queries was what are the thoughts regarding an MEV with a swamp ash body and maple neck?

My thoughts are:

If you don't like the SAS, a guitar with a swamp ash body and a maple neck, why would you even consider another guitar with a swamp ash body and maple neck? The maple cap isn't going to make it sound all that much different!

I've made a similar mistake too many times to count: I've ordered electric guitars with maple necks and/or ebony fretboards. I love ebony fretboards and maple necks on maple acoustics. Doesn't matter. Electric guitars are an entirely different beast.

I've never kept a single ebony fretboard electric guitar long term. The only one I liked at all was my Artist V. I've never kept a maple neck PRS electric long term. No idea why, I just can't relate.

But I've bought plenty of 'em!

When will I learn my lesson? Maybe when hell freezes over (I'm sure I'll be there and will appreciate the climate change). The woods used in a guitar count, and they count for a lot!

Do not make the mistake I've made ten zillion times. ;)

I always thought of the MEV as a Paul’s guitar with an extra middle single coil, a trem, and strat 5 way blade. I always thought of Paul’s as having incredible single coil tones. Personally I prefer a 3 way switch, stoptail, and mini splits so I chose Paul’s. But I love that the MEV is there for those that want a classic PRS trem system with similar pickups.

This might seem like a roundabout way of seeking your enablement. You wouldn’t be wrong, probably.

So I’m wondering what the ME V covers that can’t be covered by what I have:
Old style CE24 x3. One with HFS/VB. One with RP/VB. One with a piezo and Fishman Fluence Classics. Considering pulling the Fishmans. I have an Artist treble and maybe something else to put in there.
Swamp Ash Special, the 3 way toggle version.
594 HB II
35th CU24
Studio (current version)
CU24 semi hollow with 58/15LT

What does the ME V do that these others don’t? Specifically, an ME V with swamp ash body and maple neck?

These are good pros and cons to think about.

For me, the idea that a guitar is all things to all players - the proverbial Swiss Army knife - is kind of a misnomer. I had a nice SAS and more recently, a lovely Special Semi-Hollow. Great guitars for most players, but I didn't keep them.

On the other hand, the PS 20 pictured above is a lifetime keeper. Why? It's got some magic-mojo-vibeysecret-sauce in its agglomeration of wood, metal and wire. It's got "the tone."

Can it be explained? Doubtful.

My takeaway from all my years of guitar life is it's not really about the configuration; it's not about whether it captures this or that classic tone. Plenty of guitars do all that stuff.

It's really about the individual guitar, and how you respond to it. I've got some I'll never part with, not because they do what I thought I might have wanted them to do, but because they seemed magical when I played them, so I bought them regardless of my preconceived ideas. My 30th CU24 PS is one of them. I was NOT looking for a CU24 when I stumbled onto it. But once I heard it, OMG. Had to have it.

By the way, archaeologists have found ancient Roman folding pocket knives, some with Swiss Army knife style tools as part of the design.

Everything old is new.
I was working on a reply but Les, you’ve helped me go in a direction other than how much I love the MEV. Your quote, “It’s really about the individual guitar and how you respond to it“… got me.

Those who know me from the forum knows I am a huge fan of the MEV. I love the tones I get from mine, and how it inspires me play differently than with other models. I love the model so much that I’ve owned three at the same time but now only one…. THE ONE …. It was the second one I purchased, and it just rings differently than the other two. This was the second from the original private stock run and not as pretty as the first one I owned, but this one is special, that lifetime guitar that Les mentions. Now honestly I’m no guitar virtuoso and so it sounds kind of funny discussing these intricate tone details when I don’t make my living playing music. Nevertheless, I’ve enjoyed performing live in pubs and other venues for years when I was younger but now the rigs have changed and so have my guitar needs.

I also agree that you need to have a guitar for at least a few days before you really understand how good it is for your needs, through your rigs, and what you want out of it. Hell, there are many guitars that I could play for less than two minutes to know they’re a dud for my needs.
@dilznik you have a great lineup of guitars. I don’t know if you will gain much using an MEV versus what you already have. I do agree with the mention the Paul’s guitar @MWebster and @markd21. I also own a Paul’s guitar stoptail model and love it. A lot more practical switching than MEV especially if you were to use it live.

I never cared for the scale length, but the 513 was an amazing instrument especially the three-way played switch for Vintage humbucker, Modern humbucker, and Single coil. Such a useful guitar, I should stop whining about the scale length, and just get one again.

And @bodia said…..“everyone needs a Santana!“ I love my Santanas and some of the others have said it’s something you don’t have in your stead. Might be a model worth looking into.

So apparently, I’ve just said a whole lot of nothing ……. But in the end, I still love the MEV !!

If you don't like the SAS, a guitar with a swamp ash body and a maple neck, why would you even consider another guitar with a swamp ash body and maple neck? The maple cap isn't going to make it sound all that much different!
Oddly enough, I have a CU24 with maple neck and swamp ash body and I totally love it. It’s my #1 gigging guitar.

Back