New CAB Finish...who else has it? What do you think?

ElrytNamrogo

My name be scrambled
After having a few weeks with the new 35th Anniversary Custom 24, I'm convinced there is something special about this new finish, and wanted to see if it's just in my head or if anybody else is able to chime in with their own personal experience.

From what I'm able to gather, the new finish is nitro sprayed over a very thin poly base coat. This would be my first experience with nitro-anything, so this is all new to me.

First thing I noticed is that (at least in my opinion) there's quite a bit of visual difference. A lot of it is nearly impossible to photograph, so I'll do my best to put it into words. To me, reflections are sharper and cleaner. The nitro top coat seems a bit smoother and glass-like to me when it comes to how it reflects light and mirrored objects. I have four other core models to compare it to....a 2008 Custom 22, a 2012 Custom 24, a 2015 HBII, and a 2018 WL 24-08. When almost-obsessively comparing my "older" guitars under different lighting settings, it's almost as if the different layers of poly are kinda visible, or create a certain look to them that's different than this new finish. Of course, it's nothing negative on either side, just something I noticed. Also, I noticed some of the inherent visual qualities of nitro with the new one too. Specifically, little microscopic points where it looks like the nitro settled into small pockets of the poly base coat. Again, absolutely nothing negative about this....it wouldn't be at all noticeable if you didn't nerd out like I do and closely examine the guitar, specifically looking for differences. I've noticed that nitro does this on guitars that are fully finished in it, so it came as no surprise to me.

Next thing I noticed was weight. Man, is this thing light....lighter than any of my solid bodies. Now, the only one that I really have to fairly compare it to would be my 2012 Custom 24, being it's the closest in build - my Custom 22 and 24-08 both have rosewood necks - but the CU24 is at PTC right now getting some work done, so I cannot directly compare it yet. That being said, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that it's absolutely the lightest of the three solid-bodied guitars. It also has a smoother, less tacky feel to the surface, as well....incredibly smooth up and down the neck, more so than my 2012 Custom 24 (my only other guitar with a finished neck.)

Another thing is the resonance. I cannot express enough how much differently this one resonates from my other guitars, hollowbody included. There is a definitive open-airiness to it that I just hadn't experienced before. Is this something common with nitro? I feel like it must be, none of my other guitars resonate acoustically like this one. Notes are incredibly clear and almost breath-like. Needless to say, an absolute joy to play and hear. There's almost more woodiness to them than even my HBII, like the notes ring in the body of the guitar longer and more freely. I know I probably sound ridiculous, but this is what my ears hear. I also feel like I get more vibration in the body than the HBII....it's kinda crazy, because I never would have thought this to be the case. Now, I'm absolutely not trying to take anything away from the HBII, just trying to do my best to compare the two....the HBII DEFINITELY has it's own thing going on and has a multitude of different qualities to it's acoustic voice, as well.

Anyways, this is my awkwardly-worded attempt at trying to share my thoughts on this new finish and what inherent qualities I have found with it.

Anybody else have one of the new ones? Have any of you experienced noticeable differences you can share?

Last edited:
A few images, because why not...

KgzxEqF.jpg

gGVSQ95.jpg

VskzdAA.jpg

f7EiIlW.jpg

ur6EV5Q.jpg

The finish is something that will help the wood express itself better.

While the new finish is no doubt the best at doing this that PRS has ever done, what I think you have there are some very special pieces of wood.

ps; Stunning guitar!

Thank you!

Yeah, I was thinking that as well....about the specific pieces of wood selected for this particular model. It's hard to tell if what I'm hearing and feeling are the inherent qualities of the wood, the new finish, or a combination of the two. I'm sure, of course, it's the later....

Another thing I did when trying to compare the different guitars was prop the guitar up on my knee and get my ear next to the upper horn of the guitar. For me, this has always helped get an idea of how the notes ring through the body of the guitar (and I just like the way it sounds :p). Doing this allows me to hear the vibrations in the bridge and neck, as well. Again, the newer guitar sounded more airy, allowing a more free resonance - if that makes any sense. Before I got this one, my WL 24-08 seemed to take the cake on this test....although the HBII was a strong contender. But, those are quite different models to be comparing considering build, woods, hardware, ect.

Simply. Effing. Gorgeous.

Thank you! I really feel PRS went to town with this specific run, giving them fantastic tops and backs. All I've seen have been drop dead gorgeous. Needless to say, when I saw this one and then played it, I was hooked - and I was not even close to being the market of buying a new guitar.

That is one rad guitar!

Thanks!!! The lighting the photos were taken in was kinda yellow. In natural or white light, the grain pops A LOT more. Plus, it still has that "new guitar" smell! It's a bit different than my others that I bought brand new, probably due to the finish type.

That looks beautiful !!!! My custom 22s and McCarty are from around 2001-2004 what were they using them for finishes ? Anyone know ?

I'm not entirely sure, but like Parralx view had said, probably poly. I don't know, did PRS ever use "acrylic"? Or is that the same thing? I know almost nothing when it comes to finishes and clear coats.

Might be a good stand-alone thread topic....discussing different finish types with photos of the various finishes?

My 04 McCarty is obviously poly. Unless they were specials, I think that they all were. My luthier confirmed it when he fixed a ding I put in the lower bout.

This is actually one thing I was thinking about. About three months ago, a glass slide fell maybe four inches off a box and landed on the top of my 24-08, putting a small ding in the top. As I've mentioned in past threads, dings don't bother me too much, but this one kinda stung a bit so I had it repaired.

I'm wondering, if and when a ding happens to this one, and I decide I want it repaired, would a different approach need to be taken considering it's two different types of finish?

Dayum that's hot!

Thanks! I'm excited to use it next weekend at our first show since it was purchased!

A few images, because why not...

KgzxEqF.jpg

gGVSQ95.jpg

VskzdAA.jpg

f7EiIlW.jpg

ur6EV5Q.jpg

It’s the same finish they use on Private Stocks, and it rocks in all kinds of ways. Yes, it sounds different, for whatever reason. My PS guitars made me a believer in the finish affecting the tone.

I ordered one of the new Core McCartys for that very reason.

Gorgeous guitar, BTW!!

It’s the same finish they use on Private Stocks, and it rocks in all kinds of ways. Yes, it sounds different, for whatever reason. My PS guitars made me a believer in the finish affecting the tone.

I ordered one of the new Core McCartys for that very reason.

Gorgeous guitar, BTW!!

Awesome! I'm guessing you opted for the classic McCarty, being you have a couple 594's? I wonder when those will start shipping.

My local shop doesn't carry a whole lot of PRS guitars, maybe anywhere between ten and fifteen. One thing they always do have, though, are plenty of 594's. So maybe when they get in some of the newer models in, I'll really be able to sit down with more-similar models (compared to what I have) and try my best to compare. :D

what’s with the reverse pickup?

PRS has been doing this for a while now, from what I've seen. I'm not sure why or what specifically dictates which pickups get switched, but the first time I noticed it was on the 24-08 models. Then, the Special 22 Semi-Hollow also did it. All of the 35th Anniversary Custom 24's I've seen have had the pickups set this way.

Whatever the reason is for switching it, I can dig it. The neck pickup sounds phenomenal, especially split at about 80% volume.

I just got my 2020 Tremonti my first core model :) Finish looks amazing and this is definitely the sexiest guitar I own. I am very curious to see how this finish will age over time..
here are some pros and cons of the new finish

Pros:
Makes the flames/top look absolutely beautiful and more High Def
More tone/resonance
Shouldn't yellow as much as pure nitro

Cons:
Back of neck is very sticky on arrival needs to get played in a lot or sanded down if you are very brave...
Poly is easier to play out of the box and will preserve the guitar better long term
How will it age?? nobody knows
Seems to attract a lot of dust/fibers on the back

Do you guys think it wont age or yellow much due to the CAB basecoat? Are the nitro and CAB blended all at once or layered?

Last edited:
I bought a used Paul’s Guitar, so I am not sure if my experience is normal or because of the previous owner. It had some significant buildup of grime on the neck and on the body like it had been handled by someone adverse to washing their hands after eating burgers and fries. It seemed like I had to clean the guitar several times to get rid of the residue. Maybe it was coming from the case. In addition to the grime, it seemed to collect a lot of dust. I still deal with the dust, but not as often as when I first got it.
I prefer satin necks, but the gloss on this has been much better than some I have played. No stickiness for me. Maybe because I have gone over it so often with a cleaning cloth that I have polished the stickiness out of it.
I don’t know if I would be able to distinguish between poly and nitro finishes by looking at two guitars side by side, but it does look good. Imagined or real, it appears to be thinner with a different sheen that I can’t really describe.
When I first got the guitar I was thinking I should Sergio the thing and carve my name in the back. Then the ME-V was released and I thought about selling it. At that point I really started babying it so I could have the best chance at getting a good price out of it. I didn’t really play it much. The past couple of weeks I have started playing it more and I don’t think I will be letting it go. The release event next week might change my mind, but I think I might be better off hanging on to this one.

I got my 2020 McCarty WL model in late summer or early fall. I've had no stickiness issues. If it's slightly different from the nitro on my PS models, as was said at some point by Shawn, it's not different in terms of resonance - the thing sounds wonderful. Just used it on tracks for a new ad campaign, so it's even starting to pay its own way!

Back