What model do I have?w

RustyG

I purchased this guitar a year ago from Guitar Center. It was advertised as a 2006 Swamp Ash Special with Modern Eagle pickups. I did verify that it does have the 2 RP humbuckers and one Seymour Duncan single coil. It also has the the three way toggle, single volume, and single push/pull tone control. It has the natural finish and looks just like other Swamp Ash Specials seen in photos. My confusion is the serial number. It is 6 CE30781. According to what I have seen, the Swamp Ash model should start with SA. Any help clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can you post some pics? You have piqued my curiosity.

My guess would be that a CE neckplate got swapped in for the SAS neckplate, either at the factory (which would be weird) or afterwards (which might be weirder?). They still made both models for a couple years after 2006, so it's not like you got one of the last SASs and they didn't have any neckplates left so they stole one from the CE line...

Yes, please tell us what customer service says. I am indeed most curious...

Maybe there is a CE out there with an SAS neckplate? Got swapped at a guitar store during setup or cleaning? (Why would you remove the neckplate?)

Customer Service thought it was odd also. I guess we will likely never know how the neck plate got there. I few photos for everyone's amusement. :rock:
imagejpeg
imagejpeg

I apologize for the photo errors. I'm a rookie at this forum stuff and was trying to figure it out. Finally got it.

May have been a project guitar for a previous owner. That would explain the ce plate on the back. The serial number maybe in the bridge pickup cavity. Or maybe the modcat code. These can help you out with identification. Can u post a pick of both pickup cavities?

That's a nice looking SAS.

Um, but with the neck plate, it must be a fake, so I'll buy it from you for $200 just to avoid any embarrassment. Yeah, that's it. ;)

I'd hate to be the owner of such a unique and classic SAS, ....um, I mean, a fake. Yeah.

Yeah. I will check out the pickup cavities for ser number and will post a photo Hopefully I'll find something.
shinksma, I appreciate the generous offer. Will kick it around and let you know. :laugh:

You've gotta CE neck and plate on an SAS body, so it's more of a mutt than a model per se... Still awesome, maybe even more so IMHO. In a "stone that the builder refuse becomes the head cornerstone" kinda way.

Last edited:
That is a very unusual combo, but I guess one that is more easily accomplished than with the glued-in-neck models!

I wonder what the circumstances were to cause a CE neck to be mounted to an SAS body? Broken neck on one, broken body on the other?

You have a very unique guitar, one way or the other. Congrats!

Great axe...Love the Swamps, and fat necks...Not too surprised the neck was a perfect fit...Here's an advantage of CNC machines. Previous owner might have owned both a CE-22 and a SAS, and just swapped necks...??? RW vs. maple, etc... Either way, congrats...not rare, but VERY NICE guitar!!!!

I wonder what the circumstances were to cause a CE neck to be mounted to an SAS body? Broken neck on one, broken body on the other?
I have seen some people want to put a maple fretboard neck on a CE, so they buy both and swap the necks (I would LOVE this combo). PRS made some CEs like this back in the late 80s, I think, but after that there was only rosewood available. What I don't understand is why they would swap the neck plate too.

I ran the modcat and got a bunch of errors...

Last edited:
and the pics tell a story. Prs mutt for sure but I like the end result. Congrats and have fun.

Last edited:
I think it looks great, and I'm surprised that no one has asked the big question...............DO YA LIKE THE WAY IT SOUNDS?

Back