What will an ME V do for me that my other PRSi won’t?

For what it’s worth I think trying to differentiate between a need and a want gets progressively harder the more guitars you have. In my opinion the MEV won’t offer anything truly meaningful to your stable. But if you want all the switching options in the world on one guitar then you should get it. For me, I don’t like the control layout and all the switching options just muddies up my musical progress. A lot of people try to balance simplicity and complexity with their instruments. The MEV is too complex for too little return for me. I’m happier with my 594HBii, 24-08, Fiore or Special Semi Hollow if I want a “jack of all trades” guitar.

I was working on a reply but Les, you’ve helped me go in a direction other than how much I love the MEV. Your quote, “It’s really about the individual guitar and how you respond to it“… got me.
Right?

An unusually great individual guitar that 'has it' is the true Swiss Army knife, because I'll use it for anything. The model and features don't make much of a difference.

I can pick any of my handful of keepers at random for any recording project and be perfectly happy. You'd think I have some overarching plan in mind when I lay down an ad track, but more often than not, it comes down to what I'm in the mood to play.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's how I do it.

Last edited:
Apropos of my last post, I've thought about Andy Timmons, who seems to do everything with one Ibanez Strat style guitar. I've never seen him play anything else (I'd imagine he has other stuff, but honestly I don't know).

Clearly, that one's his magic guitar.

There are other 'one guitar' players out there. It's interesting that they've found what speaks to them, and they use it for everything.

In my opinion the MEV won’t offer anything truly meaningful to your stable. But if you want all the switching options in the world on one guitar then you should get it.
So it's interesting because I'd probably trade a CE24 as well as the Swamp Ash for it, so that's two gone right there.
Also I have separate gear for writing and recording than for playing out. For example, my playing out pedalboard is this big ass double decker thing from Schmidt Array. For writing I have a different pedalboard that is on a Pedaltrain Nano+ and has the JHS multiple OD thing, the JHS multiple fuzz thing, a 1312 RAT that has a bunch of different RAT sounds, and a Source Collider with a bunch of reverbs and delays. That runs into a Kahayan amp switcher so I can switch between 8 tube amps. So having a guitar with 34 (or whatever) sounds would probably fit right in there.

It's highly unlikely I'd use it live or at band more than once. The semi-hollow CU24 gets all the work for that.

Sounds like you have a
So it's interesting because I'd probably trade a CE24 as well as the Swamp Ash for it, so that's two gone right there.
Also I have separate gear for writing and recording than for playing out. For example, my playing out pedalboard is this big ass double decker thing from Schmidt Array. For writing I have a different pedalboard that is on a Pedaltrain Nano+ and has the JHS multiple OD thing, the JHS multiple fuzz thing, a 1312 RAT that has a bunch of different RAT sounds, and a Source Collider with a bunch of reverbs and delays. That runs into a Kahayan amp switcher so I can switch between 8 tube amps. So having a guitar with 34 (or whatever) sounds would probably fit right in there.

It's highly unlikely I'd use it live or at band more than once. The semi-hollow CU24 gets all the work for that.
Sounds like you have the justification for a MEV figured out. Like I said many times I love mine. I bet it will help inspire you to find new sounds. :cool:

Right?

An unusually great individual guitar that 'has it' is the true Swiss Army knife, because I'll use it for anything. The model and features don't make much of a difference.

I can pick any of my handful of keepers at random for any recording project and be perfectly happy. You'd think I have some overarching plan in mind when I lay down an ad track, but more often than not, it comes down to what I'm in the mood to play.

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but it's how I do it.
The random way you pick them is all subconsciously part of the inspiration process. It seems to work well for you.!

The random way you pick them is all subconsciously part of the inspiration process. It seems to work well for you.!
You know, that's a very interesting thought! You make a LOT of sense.

Perhaps it's functionally similar in a way to the Brian Eno 'Oblique Strategies' card decks, made for getting inspiration in the recording studio.

The idea is to have the artist or producer pick from a box of cards at random. Each card has instructions like, "Honour thy error as a hidden intention," or "Use an old idea." Etc. And the artist is supposed to follow the instruction and see what happens.

The idea is to get your thinking out of whatever rut it happens to be in.

Truth is, I do a lot of random things that result in creative consequences I can't predict. But I'm random kinda guy! ;)

At this point isn't a real departure from PRS status quo a NF53 or Myles Kennedy Sig? There ye be for new soundscapes. As long as one doesn't mind the price, I think they sound fantastic.

Perhaps it's functionally similar in a way to the Brian Eno 'Oblique Strategies' card decks, made for getting inspiration in the recording studio.

The idea is to have the artist or producer pick from a box of cards at random. Each card has instructions like, "Honour thy error as a hidden intention," or "Use an old idea." Etc. And the artist is supposed to follow the instruction and see what happens.
A friend of 30+ years turned me on to the "Oblique Strategies" cards probably 20 years ago! I have used them for fun, but never in production work. I believe there are multiple sets that have been put out over the years with various "strategies". My friend's set is the original release!! Great idea and I should really get a set if I reach the point of no inspiration or need a change!!! I think I downloaded a version a few years back, but on what drive they exist is another question ;~))

For a start, it will sound 'different' - whether different enough is up to you to decide - as its a 22 fret guitar with 'Pauls TCI' Pups, the Neck will probably sound different to the Cu24's and have more 'tonal' variety in a single Instrument that may have some 'unique' tones you can't quite match or would require you to swap instruments to get.

I expect some tones will sound similar enough to your other guitars to be interchangeable but I also expect it to offer something 'different' too - it just depends on whether the differences are 'significant' enough for you to Justify purchasing or you can make do with what you already have...

Sounds like it fits your studio setup pretty well then! What I’ve found is that I’ll just reach for that thing the hybrid is trying to be rather than use the one guitar for everything but that’s how my workflow pans out.

Sounds like it fits your studio setup pretty well then! What I’ve found is that I’ll just reach for that thing the hybrid is trying to be rather than use the one guitar for everything but that’s how my workflow pans out.

Again it comes down to 'Personal' preference and your own needs/requirements.

I guess if I was in the Studio, I'd gravitate towards individual instruments - want a LP/Tele/Stratty like sound, use a LP/Tele/Stratty like guitar but if I was playing live, I may prefer to use something that offers all that in a Single Instrument, cutting down on what I need to take, cutting down the amount of Guitar swaps etc. Its like I may 'prefer' to play through a Valve amp and use Valve Amps to record with, but I may settle for a 'Helix' or other modeller for 'Live' because its more 'convenient'.

There is also the point about chasing a specific tone or being inspired by the Tones in your instrument. An MEv may not sound exactly like the Strat sound you are chasing - but maybe that tone inspires you to write something that others want to chase in the future. I bet Jimii didn't chase a Strat sound for 'Little Wing' but that the Strat inspired him to write that piece of music. If you wanted, you can play it on a Les Paul - it will sound 'different' but not quite like Jimi's version - as I said, it depends on whether you are chasing that tone specifically or let your Guitar inspire you and be 'your' sound...

It occurred to me that I really like the old CE line. Enough that I have three of them. So I figured maybe hog body with maple neck is the way to go. Danville happened to have an ME V with a mahogany body and maple neck so I went and tried it out. Yep, that’s the way to go.

Here's my thinking:

It's not a matter of what sonic territory a guitar may or may not cover. Most guitars can get plenty of tones, and you have a couple of 3-pickup PRS Guitars.

However, a new guitar can inspire you in different ways from your other guitars.

Consider yourself enabled. ;)
The great enabler! :p:oops::D

It occurred to me that I really like the old CE line. Enough that I have three of them. So I figured maybe hog body with maple neck is the way to go. Danville happened to have an ME V with a mahogany body and maple neck so I went and tried it out. Yep, that’s the way to go.
Did you spring for it, or are you still looking for the right one?

Did you spring for it, or are you still looking for the right one?

So, what does it do that your other PRS guitars don’t/didn’t do (especially the swamp ash special)?

Back