What String gauge do you use on custom 24

D'Addario makes the PRS strings. The difference is that they're pure nickel and that a couple of the individual string gauges are .001-.002 off from the standard D'Addario set.

That said, I use .011 - .049 (unwound third) PRS DGT strings on my Hollowbody I, and DR Tite-fit .010 - .046 on my CE24 and my Strat.

i have one with 9/42 standard tuning and the other has 10/46 standard tuning.
I'm just interested in what other people are using. Also what brands.

Playing around with some 9-42s on certain guitars but generally GHS Boomers 10-46, I seem to break less of them. Thanks

On all my PRS electric and Fender electric guitars, I use the same strings, either PRS 10-46 nickel wound or D'Addario 10-46 nickel wound.
I keep telling myself that I should experiment some, but I never seem to get around to it. I do a lot of string stretching, but I rarely break more than 2-3 strings per year.

I'm a NYXL .10-.46 all across the board on my CU24s (and most other PRSes).

I run regular XL .09-.42s on my older alder CEs because they seem to like that.

I really like the PRS strings but I get better deals on the D'Addario proper stuff.
I'm the same and it is odd how the older ce's prefer the 9-42's

I went through a period where I had to have 11’s on all guitars, mainly because they lasted longer than the smaller gauges. Now I stick with whatever gauge the guitar comes with. Ernie Ball Slinky or Super Slinky for Nickel-wound, and Fender for Pure Nickel (no bullet ends!). For me, the EB are better for heavier rock, while the Fender are more mellow for sweeter cleans. Lately, when the strings wear out, I just throw the guitar away and buy another. o_O

Anything in standard tuning gets a 10-46 set. If I'm tuning down, I bump up to the next gauge set accordingly. I use DR Tite-fit strings.

I just started using NYXL balanced tension 10-46 and I love them. They're also good for brightening up some dark pickups.

Full disclosure: for the last several months I’ve been in a CU24 renaissance. All electronics were returned to stock, as well as the stings to what it arrived with...9s. The mind-blowingly soft action has been fun, but after one practice, I realize why I made the changes I did. This week, the 59/09 goes back in and I’m setting it up for 11s. My heavier touch just can’t keep from smashing chords into a blur.

Back