What String gauge do you use on custom 24

GHS Boomers - 10-46 on PRS and other 25" or lower scale. 9-42 on my SE. 9-46 on my 25.5" scale guitars.

Fender Pure Nickel 150 (w/ a .018 wound G) Yeah, I'm *that* guy,

I would use 9s but they seem to have a much thinner tone compared to 10s on my SE Custom 24. I like the feel of 9s better. I guess I just like that thicker sound of the 10s better. So I just run 10s on everything including my acoustic Ovation too.

Full disclosure: for the last several months I’ve been in a CU24 renaissance. All electronics were returned to stock, as well as the stings to what it arrived with...9s. The mind-blowingly soft action has been fun, but after one practice, I realize why I made the changes I did. This week, the 59/09 goes back in and I’m setting it up for 11s. My heavier touch just can’t keep from smashing chords into a blur.

I’ve been trying to practice with a lighter touch lately.

No Alan and Dave, I don’t mean going all Jimi Hendrix on the guitar!

Last edited:
Wow how the times have changed. I now use 10-52s on all my 25" scale guitars, 11s on anything shorter, and 10s on anything longer.

Yep. The package is different. :p:p:rolleyes:;) *

* Actually, I don't know, and that was my attempt at (probably failed) humor.
I think Paul said in an interview once, that the PRS strings are not identical alloys to the standard D'Ads.

Last edited by a moderator:
PRS- 9.5-44. 4 surgeries later, theses old hands can’t handle heavier.
the 9.5s are my favorite on my C24. I am however going to try the new ones to see if I can get a bit more brightness. If it loses any of the magic it has now though, I'll go right back to the old ones and keep turning the treble up like I do now.

I have a CU22 Semi-hollow SE but I use 10-46 DR Pure Blues round wound on all of my guitars. Can't beat that pure nickel tone with a round core for my money.

Back