What is on your pedal board

See, I was never particularly excellent at anything in life (with maybe the only exception being at drinking copious amounts of red wine) but even I got snippy at answering the same question, or remedial questions after a thousand times.

I know it’s not exactly great customer service or a good way to do business but... we’re only human.

That’s why when I read about Paul being maybe a bit arrogant to someone or something along those lines... I mean, can you imagine the amount of times some random dude asks him the same question for the millionth time? Or the guys that think they’re the ones that are finally gonna challenge him, or stump him with a question or a bullet point that dude has already moved past? It’s gotta be staggering! Especially these days when because of social media and iPhones where people are more accessible than ever.

I’m not saying it’s right, but I can say I sorta understand.
That is kind of what I mean. Everyone is an "expert" now days because they looked something up on google. I get it all day every day. I have been doing what I do for a very long time. I was literally a child when I started. I sort of treat people at this point, how they act. Approach me like an idiot, and I treat you like an idiot. Now, I understand that idiots spend money too. And if I want some of some idiot's money, I "should" make it look like I am at least interested in going back and forth with them. But the reality is that [pretty often] I am not.

What I can be sorry about is that sometimes, I am pretty sure that someone only appears to be that way, and I end up pushing them away [with my attitude towards them] without really exploring it enough to know that they actually aren't what they initially appeared to be. And that is my fault, and for that I deserve to lose business. I am also pretty sure it works the same way in other industries. Particularly those where creativity is involved. Because people think that their unfounded opinions carry just as much weight as those who's opinions are at least "educated opinions".

Absolutely.
I'll give everyone a mulligan or two for a bad day here or there.

We have different requirements as well.
I'm not a pro player anymore, no band so really this is..a ..pains me to say..hobby..(Passion!).
So it's not the same set of needs as someone making a living at it. (as I used to!)

Oh gosh, I hear you on that ‘becoming a hobby’ thing. I remember when I got out of music to practice law in the early days...I was so unhappy about it. But then, later on, I got back into music and out of law, and I was SO happy about it!

I guess what I’m saying is that life’s got twists, turns, and surprises. Most of them turn out well. May your road be gentle and fun to travel!

That is kind of what I mean. Everyone is an "expert" now days because they looked something up on google. I get it all day every day. I have been doing what I do for a very long time. I was literally a child when I started. I sort of treat people at this point, how they act. Approach me like an idiot, and I treat you like an idiot. Now, I understand that idiots spend money too. And if I want some of some idiot's money, I "should" make it look like I am at least interested in going back and forth with them. But the reality is that [pretty often] I am not.

What I can be sorry about is that sometimes, I am pretty sure that someone only appears to be that way, and I end up pushing them away [with my attitude towards them] without really exploring it enough to know that they actually aren't what they initially appeared to be. And that is my fault, and for that I deserve to lose business. I am also pretty sure it works the same way in other industries. Particularly those where creativity is involved. Because people think that their unfounded opinions carry just as much weight as those who's opinions are at least "educated opinions".

I might be the same way about my film/tv scoring work. I can’t stand working with folks who aren’t pros and don’t really “get it.” I’m sure I get testy.

Heck, I get testy with my wife from time to time, and I love her dearly! :eek:

Fortunately she forgives me. Er...sometimes. ;)

We've all heard stories for years about how Fuller could be a jerk. It's one of those things where, as long as it was never done "to you" it's only a story, and maybe doesn't carry much meaning. Especially if you like his product. I mean, if the guy makes the best pedals out there and his only flaw is he's arrogant and sometimes a jerk, that's not too bad, right?

Since my posts above though, I've heard from 3 different people involved in some way in the music field about things he did that were above just a little arrogance and above something you'd just pass off as "ok, he was a jerk one time." Two of these people were retailers who used to sell lots of his pedals. One big enough to have said "we made that guy a lot of money." The stories I've heard lately would probably preclude me from buying any more of his pedals. There's being a jerk, and then there's being a total holier than thou ass, and apparently he has no problem crossing and staying on the other side of that line.

I looked last night after hearing the last story, and since Christmas of last year I've bought or received about $500 worth of his pedals. I'm probably done for a while. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. And then you have guys like David Barber. I've talked to David a few times on the phone when ordering pedals and he's just as nice and genuine and willing to talk shop and tone to you like a friend for 30 minutes. He builds pedals and we talk about amps and speakers, guitars (he has a PRS SE with soapies and loves the guitar and the stock pickups!). Just a genuine "good guy." I told him 5 years ago that if he made the mod pedals and not mainly just drive pedals, I might have all Barber stuff on my board, but he doesn't use or like most mod pedals and doesn't want to build delays, verbs, etc.

His pedals are great. They are build like works of art inside. If you want to actually "like" a guy you're supporting, I couldn't recommend anyone more highly in the drive pedal market.

I might be the same way about my film/tv scoring work. I can’t stand working with folks who aren’t pros and don’t really “get it.” I’m sure I get testy.

I had to seriously back off after being called the “dad” of the band I’m in.

We’ve been recording an EP since July, and of course they were geeked to do it ourselves. A couple of the guys know the extent of my experience as an engineer and producer, but it’s not something I felt like sharing with all of them, and one of the guys is really taking charge as he has aspirations for being in the industry.

Anyhow, they’re doing it “wrong” and I simply don’t have the time, temper,or energy required to explain everything about everything. Their genuine curiosity and desire to learn has lead to so many questions about sh!t, and instead of happily answering them all.... I snap at them. Which isn’t cool.

Maybe it’s the way they ask them that I feel like they’re constantly challenging me? But I’m so tired of the world of amateur recording, and I was lookin’ at this band as just an outlet to get loud a few times per month. I seriously dreaded the prospect of recording the songs when they brought it up this past summer.

I think maybe I didn’t take enough time off after my switch to being a housewife before jumping back into a musical project.

I had to seriously back off after being called the “dad” of the band I’m in.

We’ve been recording an EP since July, and of course they were geeked to do it ourselves. A couple of the guys know the extent of my experience as an engineer and producer, but it’s not something I felt like sharing with all of them, and one of the guys is really taking charge as he has aspirations for being in the industry.

Anyhow, they’re doing it “wrong” and I simply don’t have the time, temper,or energy required to explain everything about everything. Their genuine curiosity and desire to learn has lead to so many questions about sh!t, and instead of happily answering them all.... I snap at them. Which isn’t cool.

Maybe it’s the way they ask them that I feel like they’re constantly challenging me? But I’m so tired of the world of amateur recording, and I was lookin’ at this band as just an outlet to get loud a few times per month. I seriously dreaded the prospect of recording the songs when they brought it up this past summer.

I think maybe I didn’t take enough time off after my switch to being a housewife before jumping back into a musical project.
If only I was a good enough player to be concerned with how to record my music instead of how poorly I played a song, I'd be golden ;)

polytune > Morley mini wah > Big Muff > Price of Tone > TS clone > cheap joyo compressor > TC Delay > some kind of Chorus (old DOD maybe)

If that’s a life goal, you’re closer than you think. I literally made hundreds of dollars a year recording awful players.:rolleyes:
Just because I can't do it, doesn't mean that I don't know good when I hear it. Which lets me know that I ain't it :/ What I WANT to be would be a cross between Tray Anastasio, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn and David Gilmoure. Can you see why no matter what I play I will always suck? When you are comparing yourself to that, well, *sigh* :/

Just because I can't do it, doesn't mean that I don't know good when I hear it. Which lets me know that I ain't it :/ What I WANT to be would be a cross between Tray Anastasio, Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn and David Gilmoure. Can you see why no matter what I play I will always suck? When you are comparing yourself to that, well, *sigh* :/

I should have just stuck with wanting to be Pace de Lucia.... he didn’t have no pedalboard problems.

I get that. I just turn on an old iPad and try not to give a sh!t if anybody likes it.

It’s kinda different for me, simply because the professionals in the TV ad and film industries are usually very professional. There are a few who aren’t, or who look to take unfair advantage of their suppliers, and I won’t work with them.

They probably think I’m a dick. I don’t care.

It’s kinda different for me, simply because the professionals in the TV ad and film industries are usually very professional. There are a few who aren’t, or who look to take unfair advantage of their suppliers, and I won’t work with them.

I care a lot about the things I get paid to create. I don’t want anybody to for a moment wonder if they got their money’s worth. As a result, I really don’t want to put my reputation at risk by working with people who don’t have a professional attitude.

I was trying to replace an inexpensive multi-fx pedal in my chain with nicer, more expensive, dedicated pedals like you’re supposed to do, and lost all the magic.

It’s like the old saying; “If it ain’t broke, stay off the internet”.

Hahaha!

On the other hand...I found out about new pedals on the web, and replaced all of my old pedals that I previously liked, but I have exactly what I hoped for.

I figure to some degree life’s an adventure. And there are times I just gotta roll with that.

Using a football analogy..

All the really good quarterbacks have a little 'jerk' in them.

It serves the purpose.

As a separate post:

There’s all kinds of disappointment and suck on my pedalboard right now. I re-did the f@cker a month ago, changed some stuff around, and lost the happiness I once had.

I was trying to replace an inexpensive multi-fx pedal in my chain with nicer, more expensive, dedicated pedals like you’re supposed to do, and lost all the magic.

It’s like the old saying; “If it ain’t broke, stay off the internet”.

You can PLAY! unlike most of us. Ditch most of the pedals

Back