What is on your pedal board

I was into building pedals for a while and I have/had a few clones. However, my clones were higher end versions, where some are cheaper, made differently and certainly with less care. Don't get me wrong. Some of the cheapest knockoffs are good pedals. Some of the cheap SMD versions sound as good as the hand wired ones.

My issue with even some of the mid level pedals I've tried, and I mean industry standards like Boss, is that their buffers change the tone. With some guitars and amps more than others, but with some it was so clear and not in a good way, that it was immediately "off the board and on the TGP emporium you go."

And, higher end pedals aren't always better than cheaper ones. Usually they are "tuned" differently though, (which means it's more specific tonally and either you like it better or don't) and they're better built, with better parts and should last better. I decided I was spending too much time building and modding and not enough playing so I went back to trusted brands like Barber and Fulltone and haven't built anything in 5 years now.

Saw the Archer and you've answered my question, which was is it the same/similar. Never seen a Klon for sale over here anywhere I could try it (so one our our vintage dealers) but if I do I'd like to just out of curiosity.

Close enough I don't miss the Klon.
I got to compare this directly to a KTR as well, and it's about the same, maybe a touch more gain.

Fulltone would never get a dime of my money.
Why? I know some guys don't like him and say he's arrogant, etc. But most of his pedals are really good. I've had A LOT of them. And recently, his "blems" are a steal. I got a newest version OCD, and a Mas Malo, both under $100 each.

While it's a revolving door on the board, I currently own... OCD 1.7, OCD 2.0, Fulldrive 3, Deja Vibe, Clyde Deluxe, Choral Flanger, 69, 70, and have had numerous others.

Oh and that Nobles ODR one is a secret weapon and a half.
Going back for a look now. (And added you on Instagram)

Edit: They're definitely sandbagging on the visuals. Watching Andy's review now while I eat lunch.

Just cleaned it, got some new velcro, and put on the HOF Mini to suplement reverb when required.

There is also some room for expansion. If I ever decide on another drive pedal (OCD is still in the lead) it should fit nicely next to the Archer.

D166E981-7542-4B1C-A1FF-32B46E919972.jpeg
Check out the J Rocket GTO or the Greer Southland Overdrive.

Going back for a look now. (And added you on Instagram)

Edit: They're definitely sandbagging on the visuals. Watching Andy's review now while I eat lunch.

Just that regular big green one sounds awesome. Tim Peirce and Guthrie Trapp swear by them as well, plus a lot of studio guys which is why I tried it. Kind of the polar opposite of a tubescreamer.

Why? I know some guys don't like him and say he's arrogant, etc. But most of his pedals are really good. I've had A LOT of them.

I agree with you. For all of Mike’s perceived faults, he’s got a great ear, and his re-creations of classic pedals and echoplexes are among the very best out there.

He also takes care to build the gear well; for example, the Clyde wahs I had were far more resistant to hum and noise than other highly regarded wahs I had, including the Teese stuff (perhaps because he took the trouble to use steel on the outside and good quality innards?).

I don’t have any of his pedals on my board at the moment, but I have his wonderful Tube Tape Echo, and it’s both well-made and sounds the business (I used the originals back in the last century).

So, at times ornery, but always makes good stuff and respects customers by not compromising quality.

I agree with you. For all of Mike’s perceived faults, he’s got a great ear, and his re-creations of classic pedals and echoplexes are among the very best out there.

He also takes care to build the gear well; for example, the Clyde wahs I had were far more resistant to hum and noise than other highly regarded wahs I had, including the Teese stuff (perhaps because he took the trouble to use steel on the outside and good quality innards?).

I don’t have any of his pedals on my board at the moment, but I have his wonderful Tube Tape Echo, and it’s both well-made and sounds the business (I used the originals back in the last century).

So, at times ornery, but always makes good stuff and respects customers by not compromising quality.
Just don't ask him a question he deems 'beneath' him.

There's other reasons Les, but...not worth getting into. If you dig the stuff it's all good.
I prefer to support other builders. Not a knock on his product quality.

Just don't ask him a question he deems 'beneath' him.

There's other reasons Les, but...not worth getting into. If you dig the stuff it's all good.
I prefer to support other builders. Not a knock on his product quality.

Yeah, I’m definitely aware that he sometimes loses customers that way.

Still, I try to support companies that make good products consistently, because for me it isn’t about the owner’s personality.

Not a knock on your post or opinion at all, just sharing my own view of it.

Yeah, I’m definitely aware that he sometimes loses customers that way.

Still, I try to support companies that make good products consistently, because for me it isn’t about the owner’s personality.

Not a knock on your post or opinion at all, just sharing my own view of it.

Absolutely.
I'll give everyone a mulligan or two for a bad day here or there.

We have different requirements as well.
I'm not a pro player anymore, no band so really this is..a ..pains me to say..hobby..(Passion!).
So it's not the same set of needs as someone making a living at it. (as I used to!)

As far as the debate going on directly above this reply........

I tend to find that most of the people I know of that are REALLY REALLY good at something, are kind of @$$ holes as it relates to that subject. (Self included as it relates to tattooing). I CERTAINLY have lost clients as a result of it. But I know I am not the only one. I buy supplies from people that I wouldn't hang out with because the product is just THAT good. I think it sort of goes along with the territory.

As far as the debate going on directly above this reply........

I tend to find that most of the people I know of that are REALLY REALLY good at something, are kind of @$$ holes as it relates to that subject. (Self included as it relates to tattooing). I CERTAINLY have lost clients as a result of it. But I know I am not the only one. I buy supplies from people that I wouldn't hang out with because the product is just THAT good. I think it sort of goes along with the territory.

See, I was never particularly excellent at anything in life (with maybe the only exception being at drinking copious amounts of red wine) but even I got snippy at answering the same question, or remedial questions after a thousand times.

I know it’s not exactly great customer service or a good way to do business but... we’re only human.

That’s why when I read about Paul being maybe a bit arrogant to someone or something along those lines... I mean, can you imagine the amount of times some random dude asks him the same question for the millionth time? Or the guys that think they’re the ones that are finally gonna challenge him, or stump him with a question or a bullet point that dude has already moved past? It’s gotta be staggering! Especially these days when because of social media and iPhones where people are more accessible than ever.

I’m not saying it’s right, but I can say I sorta understand.

As a separate post:

There’s all kinds of disappointment and suck on my pedalboard right now. I re-did the f@cker a month ago, changed some stuff around, and lost the happiness I once had.

I was trying to replace an inexpensive multi-fx pedal in my chain with nicer, more expensive, dedicated pedals like you’re supposed to do, and lost all the magic.

It’s like the old saying; “If it ain’t broke, stay off the internet”.

Back