What is on your pedal board

zy7jbTn.jpg

Sorry, there’s mood lighting at our rehearsal spot so it’s not easy to get a good pic.

This is as small a board as I can make that still does everything I need, and everything has at least two jobs.

Korg Pitchblack: tuner, obviously, but it’s real job is as a foot switchable mute. I have to switch between keys and guitar in about 50% of our songs and being able to mute the guitar and/or preset an effects chain silently while playing keys is invaluable for my sanity.

1st Zoom MS50g: compressor, eq, and switchable auto wah with a limiter after it. The limiter really helps it from getting too spiky and woofy.

Bogner Ecstasy Red: Probably the best, and most amp-like pedal ever. Turns the DG30 into a quasi three channel amp, and makes it scream.

2nd Zoom MS50g: Light noise reduction, switchable phaser with a high pass filter to keep the bottom of the swoosh from farting my speaker(s). There’s a second preset that does tremolo with a modeled “Klon” after it to dirty it up subtlety.

Eventide H9: Delays and sh!t.

Here’s a pic of all the crap I have to haul around, it’s as small as I can make it.

EdYhspO.jpg

Those trashy Strats aren’t mine.

Nice setup!

wWAILMR.jpg

Recently added Sub n' Up amidst the Ego Compressor and the Decibelics Golden Horse...the Sub n' Up is the first effect in the loop switcher, followed by the GH, Blue Note, Sentry, and Immerse. The Polytune has its own input; everything else on the board resides before or after the loop switcher.

Sunday evening I spent about 4 hours trying to determine just why my effects board would not produce signal. Silly me. Effects go into the loopswitcher input, not the tuner out input.

Last edited:
Signal chain from 1st pedal (little Dual splitter) to the volume pedal (last one):

Lehle Little Dual (split between going to pedalboard and direct to 2nd amp via SB6 isolator) > Lehle DC filter > Digitech Freqout > Mini Polytune > Tech21 Wha > Lehle Sunday Drive (not an OD, rather a buffer) > Carl Martin compressor/limiter > Zendrive OD > TS-808 > Tone Hunter Open Range booster > ISP Decimator II > Boss CE-5 Chorus > Eventide H9 (this one is not permanent on the board because I use it in all kind of places) > Boss DD7 delay to which is connected a DIY taptempo switch (that little wooden box left to the wah) > Prussian Blue Reverb > Radial Engineering SB6 isolator splitting between direct to amp from Little Dual and from the pedalboard to the EB Jr. volume pedal > amp.
On the pic the H9 sits on the Voodoolab PP2plus power supply out of which goes the short cable multiple socket outlet for the other power supplies right behind the board. When the H9 is not connected to this board (usually the case), the chorus goes to the DD7. When the big lid of the flight case is closed, this is heavy as hell. :)

6L3HRcb.jpg

Last edited:
Signal chain from 1st pedal (little Dual splitter) to the volume pedal (last one):

Lehle Little Dual (split between going to pedalboard and direct to 2nd amp via SB6 isolator) > Lehle DC filter > Digitech Freqout > Mini Polytune > Tech21 Wha > Lehle Sunday Drive (not an OD, rather a buffer) > Carl Martin compressor/limiter > Zendrive OD > TS-808 > Tone Hunter Open Range booster > ISP Decimator II > Boss CE-5 Chorus > Eventide H9 (this one is not permanent on the board because I use it in all kind of places) > Boss DD7 delay to which is connected a DIY taptempo switch (that little wooden box left to the wah) > Prussian Blue Reverb > Radial Engineering SB6 isolator splitting between direct to amp from Little Dual and from the pedalboard to the EB Jr. volume pedal > amp.
On the pic the H9 sits on the Voodoolab PP2plus power supply out of which goes the short cable multiple socket outlet for the other power supplies right behind the board. When the H9 is not connected to this board (usually the case), the chorus goes to the DD7. When the big lid of the flight case is closed, this is heavy as hell. :)

6L3HRcb.jpg

Official Seal of Approval Given.

Been a while since I posted a pedalboard shot here - combo of too busy, and actually not changing stuff up much.

This is the latest pedalboard that I put together for my Archon 25w Combo rig. All Boss! (This was while I was experimenting with the left three pedals in the effects loop of the amp.)

MivPgGD.jpg

Well, it actually looked like that for about 1 day before I realized an on-board tuner would be more useful than a looper. I use loopers at home when I practice/goof around, and I have a secondary board that this board can precede - so the looper can go at the end of that chain.

So now the board looks like this:

ZfGh362.jpg

I suppose I could invest in a Boss tuner to retain that all-Boss look.

There is a wireless receiver mounted underneath the board. As is usual for me, I mount it face-up so I can see the status/battery LEDs.

Whole rig looks like this:

LanNWUw.jpg

I am considering installing a (slimline) power strip into the rear slot of the pedal board - I had done that before. That way I can have the amp and pedals plugged into it, and have an outlet or three available for outboard stuff. I think that particular power strip is now installed on a different board. I need to measure and head to Home Depot/Lowes to get one thin enough to slot in.

This is as small a board as I can make that still does everything I need, and everything has at least two jobs.

Korg Pitchblack: tuner, obviously, but it’s real job is as a foot switchable mute. I have to switch between keys and guitar in about 50% of our songs and being able to mute the guitar and/or preset an effects chain silently while playing keys is invaluable for my sanity.

1st Zoom MS50g: compressor, eq, and switchable auto wah with a limiter after it. The limiter really helps it from getting too spiky and woofy.

Bogner Ecstasy Red: Probably the best, and most amp-like pedal ever. Turns the DG30 into a quasi three channel amp, and makes it scream.

2nd Zoom MS50g: Light noise reduction, switchable phaser with a high pass filter to keep the bottom of the swoosh from farting my speaker(s). There’s a second preset that does tremolo with a modeled “Klon” after it to dirty it up subtlety.

Eventide H9: Delays and sh!t.
Those trashy Strats aren’t mine.

How do you like the little Zoomies? There are a couple HUGE threads about them at TGP and after reading about them for quite a while, I came close to getting a couple different models, but never pulled the trigger.

How do you like the little Zoomies? There are a couple HUGE threads about them at TGP and after reading about them for quite a while, I came close to getting a couple different models, but never pulled the trigger.

I love them. I tried like hell to get rid of them and replace ‘em with “better” pedals but, nothing can do what they do for double the price and the size. Not all the effects are great, but there’s at least 1-3 totally usable models per category.

If I could only have one pedal it’d be the one.

No distortion/overdrive/boost pedals. These in the loop and the Petaluma V:25 head does the rest...

cVUEH4I.jpg

Amp distortion is (to me) a great way to get beautiful, singing distortion, and few companies do that better than Petaluma..

I don’t use my distortion or boost to get dirt; in my rig they’re for tone shaping and coloration, to work in different recording situations. The gain controls on my dirt pedal rarely go above 9 o’clock.

For example, I’ll use the Pettydrive 2 to add just a touch of upper harmonics to a clean signal and to cut some low end in a way amp bass controls can’t. It has a very effective high pass filter that doesn’t affect the low mids as much as an amp’s bass control. That way if I’m in the mood, I can add a subtle Class A/Cathode-biased vibe to my amps for that “crushed glass” thing.

I use boosts subtly, too. As an example, I have a Suhr Kokoboost that adds a glassy tone to a clean amp. I don’t even use it to boost, I run it at unity gain. It’s strictly a coloration device.

All my pedals run into the front of my amps (including my Mesas that have loops I don’t use). But everyone has their own tone and sound they put together in their own ways, and I’m down with how other folks get their tone.

Since the Sheriff has the extra loop in it so you can run it as a spare channel for your amp head, I wanted to get another preamp to stick in that loop. I picked up a AMT C2, which is a pretty cool pedal. In that lineup of pedals you can run them three ways: as a regular distortion pedal with output one, as a preamp with output 2, or cabinet simulated straight to PA/recording from output 3. The C2 is the Cornford style preamp. I wanted something nasty, and this does that nicely, and as a bonus, gives you a preamped clean tone when the pedal is turned off. So, between the two pedals, I have a 4 channel amp right on my pedalboard.

I gigged Saturday and it all worked well. The new setup is as good as I was hoping.

F4bhDoW.jpg

b0EdFVm.jpg

Nevermind my homebuilt Jazzmaster. I only played that a few songs before, for the second time in two weeks, my high E string unraveled at the ball end. D'Addario EXL115s. Hard to believe. However, that was a blessing in disguise because I had my Mira as a backup and had a blast playing it. I hadn't played it at a show in several years.

Back