What is on your pedal board

That pedal show is actually how I ‘discovered’ the tubescreamer. Those guys are awesome. I watched the episode that compared the 808, 9, 10 against a Bonsai and others. The Strat guy had a Keeley modded 808 that was very nice... so I set off looking for one.

If you haven’t watched the Simon McBride episode, it’s worth a look.

You may regret it though, I’ve lusted after several of the pedals on his board ever since!

There are a few episodes that are essential viewing for understanding overdrive types.
Can't remember them all, but they're not too hard to search for.
They're the reason I made myself a king of tone clone, and bought a klon clone!

Omg.

Where has the tubescreamer been all my life?

I swear it was made for me (okay fine, it was actually designed before I was born but whatever).

Why y’all didn’t tell me about this little green emerald box of joy?
Dirt pedals are dependent on the amp. So yeah, it just depends.

Now, have you seen the old Keeley modded TS-9s and 808s? You’re welcome!

You are so right about them being dependent on the amp. I ended up scoring a Keeley modded 808 and an old Analogman True Vintage 808 ... my Mesa loves both of those pedals. I chose the 808s because I like the mids.

You are so right about them being dependent on the amp. I ended up scoring a Keeley modded 808 and an old Analogman True Vintage 808 ... my Mesa loves both of those pedals. I chose the 808s because I like the mids.
Awesome choices! And totally agree, Boogies - especially Marks - like Tube Screamers. I know there will be eyerolls because I’ve posted this a million times, but this is my MkIII with my Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus pushed out a vert 2x12 and my SE245 before it was my 245. That pedal is pure attitude!

So glad you’ve found something that works well, Casi!

Awesome choices! And totally agree, Boogies - especially Marks - like Tube Screamers. I know there will be eyerolls because I’ve posted this a million times, but this is my MkIII with my Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus pushed out a vert 2x12 and my SE245 before it was my 245. That pedal is pure attitude!

Cool video! And you are right, that pedal is all attitude. I didn’t realize that the TS-9 could sound so chunky but it definitely sounds great in your video. So far, I have only run my Cu24 and Strats with the 808s; they sound very SRV-ish tone wise. I wonder if the LP plus a 808 would be overkill.

Love this video, well you know why!

I find that most Fender-derived amps like tube screamer style pedals. The mid bump goes well with the mid-scoop.

I’m less crazy about them with a Marshall or Vox style amp.

I haven’t figured that part out yet. My Mesa supposedly ‘mimicks’ a Marshall and a Vox...and the green boxes of joy love it but neither of them worked well with my baby Fender amp. Maybe my lil Fender was too small and boxy though.

This is my latest layout. Just need to hook it all up!

BFouEfP.jpg

I haven’t figured that part out yet. My Mesa supposedly ‘mimicks’ a Marshall and a Vox...and the green boxes of joy love it but neither of them worked well with my baby Fender amp. Maybe my lil Fender was too small and boxy though.

Could be. Or could be how it’s set up, how the amp is dialed in, etc. Or you might just like it the way you like it.

Could be. Or could be how it’s set up, how the amp is dialed in, etc. Or you might just like it the way you like it.

It’s most likely that I like it the way I like it.

It’s an old tiny $100 Champ so there ain’t nothing to dial in on it. The little guy seems to like EH Nano Hot Tubes... but neither of my green boxes of joy did anything for it so go figure.

It’s most likely that I like it the way I like it.

Certainly! It’d be a pretty dull world if we all liked the same thing,

And yes, big amps are different than small amps for dozens of reasons. I feel that with a small amp, just dime everything and go without dirt pedals. An 8 or 10 inch speaker in a small enclosure is not like a pair of 12” speakers in a big enclosure.

An 8” is all midrange already. It’s not going to need a push in the midrange the way something like a Deluxe or a Twin, etc., with a more scooped sound can.

Small amps have way different output transformers, they operate differently in the bass region, blah blah I could go on but I’ll spare you.

This doesn’t mean champs are bad, they’re just a bit different. Fender supplied my son’s band with a couple of hand wired champs to use in conjunction with their Mesas on tour (in a wet-dry, they were the wet and close-miked) and they sounded pretty damn nice. The guys loved them. But they were also running 100 Watt Mesa Lone Stars.

Did look a little weird to see two tiny amps sitting on top of a bigger rig, but the sound was cool!

Back