What do you think of a Standard Core Line series?

Would you buy one?

Here is my logic. I know we have the S 2 already. But I believe an offering of the whole core line (or even select models) as a Standard option would be killer. For starters, Moons would be the defacto neck inlay. A real dream would be an An Artist package upgrade that may include an Artist grade hog body, bird inlay option (maybe not, you might have to differentiate the series), neck option, pickup option and hardware option.

I think these would be hot sellers. Others have consistently sold all Hog guitars forever, with very little to no price increase for over a decade. A reason for this, is the simplicity of the offering and construction. To think of a McCarty, Santana, Pauls Guitar, Hollowbody, SC245, or C24 as a Standard is HOT! What say you!

You realize that PRS had a Standard line of CU24s and some others in the past, right? They had a Standard 24 starting around '87, and a Standard 22 starting in the 90s, if memory serves. They've also offered DGT standards, 408 Standards, McCarty Standards, and probably others. There were also the core Mira and Starla models that were mahogany.

Most were discontinued a few years ago, though some were limited runs.

I'm guessing they were discontinued because people overwhelmingly wanted their PRSes with maple tops, i.e., they weren't hot sellers.

Last edited:
You mean like this?
Ce222.jpg

Great guitars!

You realize that PRS had a Standard line of CU24s and some others in the past, right? They had a Standard 24 starting around '87, and a Standard 22 starting in the 90s, if memory serves. They've also offered DGT standards, 408 Standards, McCarty Standards, and probably others. There were also the core Mira and Starla models that were mahogany.

Most were discontinued a few years ago, though some were limited runs.

I'm guessing they were discontinued because people overwhelmingly wanted their PRSes with maple tops, i.e., they weren't hot sellers.

I did realize that. I am no dummy. Times change though. The guitar market has changed. Continues to do so. That same aloofness to individuals wanting maple tops also extends to many I believe who would like to see a fancy standard. More so than the S2 line. Nothing wrong with the S2 line. In fact, as I said in another post, the S2 line may just accomplish this with tweaks of the S2 line. Read, hog bodies, moons, and more opaque and satin finishes. You have to admit that ten years ago, a satin finish guitar would have been called just plain ugly or unfinished. Not anymore. Also, it appears some core line standards are available in the european market. I remember a thread that showed a beautiful Santana Standard recently. Times change and the economy is making new markets. I just think these would sell alot better this time around.

Last edited:
I did realize that. I am no dummy. Times change though. The guitar market has changed. Continues to do so. That same aloofness to individuals wanting maple tops also extends to many I believe who would like to see a fancy standard. More so than the S2 line. Nothing wrong with the S2 line. In fact, as I said in another post, the S2 line may just accomplish this with tweaks of the S2 line. Read, hog bodies, moons, and more opaque and satin finishes. You have to admit that ten years ago, a satin finish guitar would have been called just plain ugly or unfinished. Not anymore. Also, it appears some core line standards are available in the european market. I remember a thread that showed a beautiful Santana Standard recently. Times change and the economy is making new markets. I just think these would sell alot better this time around.

Didn't know that you were aware of how many times or how long PRS had these on the market.

Most recently, they had the 408 Standards in 2014, as well as a run of DGTs recently. I have no idea how many were sold, but my guess is that if they were indeed strong sellers, they'd still be in the lineup.

I like 'em, and I have no axe to grind here. I'd love to see more mahogany models, and really dug my Core Mira.

Last edited:
I hear ya. I think the time is coming back. It just may be more so in the S2 series. Seems to be that way. I do believe the S2 line will continue to grow. If they eventually add an acoustic line there, look out! My selfish side wants to see it in the core line also, as well as the standards. Also, not to be hypocritical of the thread, I would like to see the Vela available in the Core Line with a Maple Top and maybe a trem option. Just thinking about all this PRS wish listing and reasoning it out is a little fun. Spent half the day yesterday on planes and in the airport and all this was whirling around in my thoughts with NAMM around the corner.

I've thought occasionally about ordering a PS Mahogany McCarty with P-90s, though now that I have a McCarty with the 58/15s, it would probably have those pickups instead. I think the guitar would sound superb. Warm, but with a bit of bite from the pickups.

So I totally get where you're coming from.

I love standards. Have 2 McCarty stds that are spectacular guitars. Would it be cool? Yeah! But, because of sales, it won't be a permanent fixture in the line up. They just don't sell enough. That's why you'll likely continue to see some limited runs here and there. Interest is usually high when they first release then tapers off because the bulk of PRS buyers want maple. It would be really fun if they did an artist package standard. The West St. Ltd was kinda that. I forget how well they sold.

Back